Biophilia and Gymnophilia

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Biophilia and Gymnophilia

Postby natman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Ramblinman wrote:One could argue that he was badly off topic for the early portion of his thesis, but perhaps he felt it necessary to describe the nudist movement past and present in great detail before he could explain what they need in design.

How else would someone be able to describe the needs and necessary design elements of a "nudist camp" or "naturist venue" without first understanding the premise of wanting to be unclothed???
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:13 pm

natman wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:One could argue that he was badly off topic for the early portion of his thesis, but perhaps he felt it necessary to describe the nudist movement past and present in great detail before he could explain what they need in design.

How else would someone be able to describe the needs and necessary design elements of a "nudist camp" or "naturist venue" without first understanding the premise of wanting to be unclothed???

I was being very generous when I said the "early portion" of his thesis.
If he had limited his discussion solely to current nudist culture and the demands it imposed on landscape architecture, I would be less inclined to dismiss all those many pages as "fluff" (however interesting it might be, it was largely irrelevant).
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Ramblinman wrote:I recently found a Master's Thesis on the design of a nudist resort by Phillip Edward Buchy.
One could argue that he was badly off topic for the early portion of his thesis, but perhaps he felt it necessary to describe the nudist movement past and present in great detail before he could explain what they need in design.

Designing a living space for nude people has elements of biophilia and certainly supports gymnophilia.

So if you are interested, download the pdf by clicking on the link below:
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file ... n%3Dinline
I once wrote a story that I called "The Open House", speculating whether nudists would be comfortable in a house without inside walls. (Sadly, I lost the original manuscript. The story may still be somewhere in the Web archives.)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Jochanaan,

As for a house without inside walls, I think that some personalities require solitude to enjoy hobbies.
My music practice was so annoying to my brother that I used to practice in the treehouse at the very back of our large yard.
Children might need a quiet place to sleep while adults are still awake, perhaps having friends over for a party.
Parents engaged in ardent love-making might not want the distractions of four or five children gathered around the bed, staring and asking "What are you doing Mommy?" while they are in the final throws of marital intimacy.
Some moments in the toilet are particularly smelly and it almost makes one nostalgic for garden privies, much less performing those duties inside a home without walls to contain the odor and sounds, particularly when others are sleeping.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 pm

When I was in England, I noticed that some of the gardens were designed as "rooms".
Rather than vast open spaces, the garden had areas surrounded by hedges and stone walls ringed by shorter shrubs, ferns, herbs and finally ground plants with grassy lawns in the middle. There were arbors between the "rooms", some long and more like hallways or corridors lined with dense shrubs, other arbors were only a few feet wide.

I also enjoy vast open expanses to run naked (or stroll when I am all out of steam from running), but the garden room concept is both cozy and beautiful.
I later learned that gardens designed as rooms is a very English concept.
Some parts of England have winds that are fierce and destructive in winter and uncomfortable at other times of the year,
so walled or hedged gardens serve a very practical purpose in that climate in addition to the aesthetic considerations.
Rather than a house without interior walls, consider a house with minimal exterior walls:
a house with lots of windows and gardens with rooms serves to blur the distinction between indoor and outdoor.

In tropical climates, this blurring between indoor and outdoor is achieved with even greater ease.
Room transitions to enclosed sunroom, which transitions to semi-enclosed porch and to garden from there and then to unmanaged or lightly managed natural area and woodlands.
And of course, Frank Lloyd Wright was famous for blending the homes he designed into the landscape.
This is a form of biophilia, integrating the humanscape into the naturescape.
To see this gentle transition, run a search using the following four terms all at once: "outdoor rooms landscape architecture" and then select "images" rather than a general search.
And to see outdoor space partitioned into rooms, do the same image search for "english walled garden"
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Lastly, I have often thought that many naturist venues should not be resorts nor campgrounds, (though they are delightful in their own right), but I perceive a need for naturism and gardening/farming blended together. This too would help address the natural human need to be a part of nature with unimpeded, full body contact. Biophilia and Gymnophilia together.

Today I found a place that describes that merger to a T: Toadally Natural Garden, a Naturist Society affiliate in southeast Wisconsin, not very far from Milwaukee.
From the description on their site, they offer:
Gardening
Private Plot - get in early to pick your plot
Shared Plot – share in the work –share in the harvest

Recreational Activities
Sunbathing, Sand Volleyball, Swimming Fishing, Campfire, Picnic, Camping and Walking Trails
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 am

Ramblinman wrote:
natman wrote:

I was being very generous when I said the "early portion" of his thesis.
If he had limited his discussion solely to current nudist culture and the demands it imposed on landscape architecture, I would be less inclined to dismiss all those many pages as "fluff" (however interesting it might be, it was largely irrelevant).

Ha ho, likewise hoo ha. How often in theses and dissertations and non-degree studies coming from neophytes have I seen the unnexessary irrelevant and frankly wrong sections devoted to perverse theories demanded by the thesis supervisor!
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:19 am

Ramblinman wrote:Lastly, I have often thought that many naturist venues should not be resorts nor campgrounds, (though they are delightful in their own right), but I perceive a need for naturism and gardening/farming blended together. This too would help address the natural human need to be a part of nature with unimpeded, full body contact. Biophilia and Gymnophilia together.

Today I found a place that describes that merger to a T: Toadally Natural Garden, a Naturist Society affiliate in southeast Wisconsin, not very far from Milwaukee.
From the description on their site, they offer:
Gardening
Private Plot - get in early to pick your plot
Shared Plot – share in the work –share in the harvest

Recreational Activities
Sunbathing, Sand Volleyball, Swimming Fishing, Campfire, Picnic, Camping and Walking Trails

There's another one further west in Wisconsin running as a productive produce farm, no charge for entry, just help with the work. It's clothing optional, the owner usually works naked when the weather is good for it. The visitors and part time workers help eat what they grow and sell extra for their income. I am very much inclined to recommend more naturist farms be developed. Self supporting, making a living on their output. Not charging for visitors, but everyone helps with the work. Primitive facilities would be sufficient. I'm planning on my own version, but I don't know how visitor friendly I can make it. It is of necessity hard to access and of limited size due to the mountain terrain. But still I think I can make some good paying salad growing gardens work.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:47 pm

DaveT wrote:There's another one further west in Wisconsin running as a productive produce farm, no charge for entry, just help with the work. It's clothing optional, the owner usually works naked when the weather is good for it. The visitors and part time workers help eat what they grow and sell extra for their income. I am very much inclined to recommend more naturist farms be developed. Self supporting, making a living on their output. Not charging for visitors, but everyone helps with the work. Primitive facilities would be sufficient. I'm planning on my own version, but I don't know how visitor friendly I can make it. It is of necessity hard to access and of limited size due to the mountain terrain. But still I think I can make some good paying salad growing gardens work.

Dave, I think it is likely that you are referring to Rising Sun Farm, in River Falls, Wisconsin, about an hour east of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
http://heavytable.com/the-naturism-of-r ... -falls-wi/

They are couples-only for most of their events.
If a non-nudist wife can tolerate the sight of her husband naked and possibly in sight of other folks equally nude, I don't see why she couldn't work clothed right along side him, while he works in comfort.

That is an excellent example of what we should have, more naturist farms that bring in volunteer help.

I would be pleased if you allow naturist friends to come help you on your property at some point in the future.
I enjoy tent camping. I prefer to be close to a lake, creek or river for bathing and having a reliable source of clean water would make it a lot more convenient.
A latrine will do, but privy's are a little more comfortable.

Do you have any bottom land suited for farming that could be made private enough for folks to work without clothing?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes, rising sun farm I read about, couldn't remember the name.

What little valley land we have is in full view of my parents and other relatives activities on the front end of the place. My nude friendly gardens are all mountainside plots in between the rocky and steep places, plenty of fresh water from springs to tank up and pipe wherever I need it, gravity flow to most areas. It can get low in late summer but if I need more I can make bigger pools to store water. A small stream from one spring that flows maybe 75% of the time, mid summer to late fall it usually stops. I want a cabin beside that one. Maybe a shelter with a fireplace. But maintain tanks of clean water to cool off in is my plan. Plus a faucet and hose handy. But we have enough land I could carve out a lot of little places, up to an acre in one place. And terrace some areas, plant perennials on some that isn't so good for active tillage. Mainly just lots of work waiting on me. And as I can do it I want greenhouses. I have energy ideas to run them cheap. Too far from the power lines to connect, don't need the bill anyway. Need a Jacuzzi in one surrounded with tropical fruit trees and bushes. Of course up there is pretty much exclusively 4x4 access only. I've been working on development ideas for many years, but it's been slow going. Finally managed to earn half interest in a decent size track hoe to help out. That took way more money and work than it should have. I've tried truck driving to make financing money to get going, but I find that job too stressful for me. I might do another 2 weeks soon. But no more. I want to set up to grow and sell super quality nutritious and tasty salad vegetables. I have almost everything needed if I just get things set up. And I'm approaching another spring, another opportunity to do it. And once things begin to function. I wouldn't mind having nude camping company. Any time actually. But before development happens it's just rough unimproved mountainside.

Restroom facilities? a stump hole or whatever. For years I've preferred just walking off in the woods, scrape the leaves from a depression, cover it like a cat with leaves and step on it to flatten it out so the soil microbes can make it vanish faster. But if company wants something better, (aint nothing better I think) welcome to make it. Conventional flush toilets are serious water wasters. I don't need em.

My current job is swapping engines in my gardening pickup, a little 4x4 isuzu. The 2.6 gas engine I rebuilt last spring is fine, but the engine computer and sensors have started causing problems. I can't figure it out, and no one else around seems to know anything, even a pro mechanic. It's too old for the modern mechanics and too new for this mechanic. But sometimes God provides ahead of time when we need something. Last fall, before I knew the 2.6 would have problems. I swapped for a 1.8 isuzu diesel from an old chevette as part of payment for moving a mobile home. So now I'm putting it in my truck. It ran a few seconds the other day with battery and fuel hooked to it sitting on the ground. so at least I know it does run. I'm changing timing belt, oil and filter, and making it fit the truck. Then I gotta get a skid steer running, fuel injector problems there. (another helpful machine that will be available) Get the sawmill running. That will saw lumber to build greenhouses and shelters. And a little income if needed. But I've done that for longer periods as well and don't care for it. It gets boring for my active mind. I have one custom job waiting, could pick up more with a little local advertising. Then I need to try getting the refrigeration unit running for salad transport. As well as lots of work cutting firewood, sorting rocks out of dirt, making grow beds. Making charcoal for soil improvement from the firewood will be a long term time consuming task, but not unpleasant. Burning off the barrels of wood for charcoal is nice chilly weather work. When my pickup appears to be reliable I need to go after a load of sea water for mineral fertilizer supplement. I guess the gulf coast is closest. Salt lake water is better, 6 times more minerals for the amount, but that's too far for an easy trip. I can also get reduced salt sea water from a processing company, they say it's working really good for plants. Along with the minerals I already have, and a calcium/phosphate base nutritional folier spray I can get from ag labs in MN. Specially formulated so that plants can pick it up thru their leaves better. Put everything together and I know we can grow food that tastes so good it will sell like crazy. And I want to eat it full time to see what it will do for my health.

But I should mention that I do believe in obeying God's 10 commandments just as he wrote them on rock. Without modifying them with any of mans changes. So anyone who comes along needs to be aware that Saturday starting sunset Friday will be for relaxing (hot tub if the weather isn't too hot for it)and enjoying nature and God's word. Hiking the woods trails back to the waterfalls, etc. I attend services and play the piano, but there is another pianist in the church so I don't have to be there. However if the weather is nice, and we have lunch at the church. I sometimes leave after lunch, just walk off into the woods behind the church. Drop the fabric and carry it soon as I'm well out of sight. And spend the next 3 hours or so wandering back through the woods, some on trails and some not. past several waterfalls, a long climb over a mountain and back down, and finally end up back home by evening. I always enjoy that hike. But I do it kind of quiet, If I announced where I was going it would be likely that some non nude compatible company would beg to go along. And while I don't mind company, I do love my naturist nature hikes. Maybe I should call myself an Adamite. After all I am a descendant of Adam, (as is everyone) and I do also enjoy working and recreating while not wearing the same antiwear that he didn't wear in his innocent state.

Yes; the further along in life I get, the more I realize that I am quite well afflicted with Biophilia. With Gymnophilia added just to make things more complicated. Especially after experiencing isolation from it for a number of weeks, driving a truck, going from city to city picking up and delivering peoples computerized transportation machines. I get so starved for nature I just can't wait to get back in the woods where it's peaceful. I didn't realize how connected I am to God's creation and the earth, until I'm separated, and separation stress builds until I can't hardly take it any more. Have to get back in the woods, work with the earth. Right where God intended us to be. And the more I load and unload those overprices pieces of junk. The more I hate them. I have to have vehicles to get along and do anything. But I want mine to be at least 30 years old so I can actually fix them when they need it. And so they wont be doing things all the time that I didn't tell them to do. Like lock their own doors, turn their own lights on, etc. I want vehicle that has a switch to turn on the lights, and only a manual switch. Not some automated delay timer. Manual door locks, and manual window cranks.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Most of us really are alienated from what is natural and even the ideal for us, meant for us with the original design, in the creation. We are in civilization, from which we are out of touch with it, and don't trust anything presented as an opportunity to come to that. We would even be happier with it, and probably quite healthier. A gardening farming place is ideal, and if there could be community available for that, it couldn't be better for us to find our way into that. It is compatible with sustainability too.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 am

Probably healthier? The way I want to do it, and what I've heard can be the result; Healthy is a weak word, and one that few really understand. What's healthy for most of us is actually pretty run down and deteriorated. Real health is way over the top of what's generally thought of as healthy. I want to demonstrate it, but in order to do so I gotta be a naturist high brix salad farmer.

Well, I'm recovering from the truckin stress, and being compelled to return to it. I told em 2 weeks is my limit. So we'll see how it goes. Biophilia will have to go on hold again. With a promise to feed the addiction later (or rather natural healthy attraction) Gymnophilia on mostly delay status. But anyway I got the track hoe home, got my pickup engine swapped over to the old chevette/isuzu diesel, it runs, need to haul in some of my dry firewood stored in the woods for the folks to keep warm and then work on the skid steer a bit and go back to the semi truck in a couple days. More stress to deal with, more money to make, and then maybe I can stay home and go at the salad garden. By then it should start warming a bit so I can start getting a tan. Next 10 days worth of forecast doesn't have enough sunshine or warm in it to start that yet. 2 days out of 10 with full sunshine and tops out in the mid 50's off and on. lows in the 20's and 30's mostly. Typical Tennessee February weather. Sometimes it hits 70 once before the end of the month, but often not, and commonly only a day or two occasionally of sunshine. Into march we start getting 70F degree days more often. But that's when I need to be planting early salad. Could start with onions even now, but I aint ready. But the side benefit of "more money" will let me throw together a cooler for the truck. I have a big one for a one ton truck, but have decided to make a little one for the pickup I just fixed, smaller quantity of high value product hauled with a high mpg vehicle. Might have to take every load 90 miles. 180 round trip. Use a wall air conditioner of a certain type with a coolbot controller to drop the temp down to 35. An insulated box that will slide in the truck. And a small generator to power it. Should take about 2.5 HP to run it. I think that whole project can fit inside $1000. I will probably need an ice machine for hydrocooling lettuce with ice water. That's about $500 for an old one. Other than that. I think I have most everything needed to go for the salad production. Just need time spent back there to clean up wood, make biochar, build fence.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 am

We used the coolbot for a walk-in cooler on our farm. It worked fine, but I never thought of installing such a system on a truck.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 pm

I've been carefully analyzing my plans. In the past I've spent too much time on side jobs and never managed to get the main one done very well. So I need to cut things as short as possible in order to get going on the spring salad growing. But even as short as I can cut things, it's still going to be hard to get everything accomplished. My Isuzu is running but in hauling out firewood I can see what it will need to do decent on the road, a turbo and hydroxy. And then about $1000 to put a reefer box on it with the coolbot thing. Fraid that's too time consuming to get going right. The shortest route to refrigerated transport is going to be fixing up the reefer truck box we already have, a 10' box I took off a 1 ton truck. Since it has an old diesel powered thermo-king on it that is supposed to work. Just need to make it fit my old logging trailer and get the reefer hooked up and working. But then I need a 4x4 tow vehicle big enough. My options are the one ton chevy which needs the front differential worked on, and which gets low mpg, and which my brother wants to adopt for car hauling soon. Or a Nissan Pathfinder. Two of them actually that need to be combined into one working vehicle. So I think I my best action is to get the fridge truck box usable and then rework the 2 Pathfinders into one good one. Doing that when the weather isn't so good. and working on the growing area when the weather does cooperate. Starting as soon as I get back from my (hopefully last) stint at truck driving. And if I need a filler, income generator aside from produce, I can get the sawmill going and pick up some custom milling jobs. I noticed lumber prices are way higher than they used to be, almost double what I remember a few years ago. So I could probably get a good bit more for sawing it now than I used to. Which would easily make a good bit more for the time spent than driving truck. Healthier work than driving for sure, but not as healthy or interesting as growing and eating nutrient dense salad. And the salad growing job feeds my need for biophilia and gymnophilia better than anything else could. (had to get in those two neat words)
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 pm

baresoul wrote:Most of us really are alienated from what is natural and even the ideal for us, meant for us with the original design, in the creation. We are in civilization, from which we are out of touch with it, and don't trust anything presented as an opportunity to come to that. We would even be happier with it, and probably quite healthier. A gardening farming place is ideal, and if there could be community available for that, it couldn't be better for us to find our way into that. It is compatible with sustainability too.

DaveT wrote:Probably healthier? The way I want to do it, and what I've heard can be the result; Healthy is a weak word, and one that few really understand. What's healthy for most of us is actually pretty run down and deteriorated. Real health is way over the top of what's generally thought of as healthy. I want to demonstrate it, but in order to do so I gotta be a naturist high brix salad farmer.

There are a lot of conditional things involved in what I was actually talking about. So I didn't say "probably healthier", because if the plant-based way of eating is pursued, without any processed foods, it is established that this will be healthier. I did say "probably quite healthier", because being separate from civilization was meant, with independence from that, and using ways of subsistence rather than depending on systems of exchanging money, this is a sustsinable way itself, and has benefits for us, apart from whether products are had which are derived from animals or not. But certainly without having such, there will be more sustainability, and certainly a great deal more healthiness with that. But will all see that and willingly come to that and all the rest of this?
baresoul
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism