My Christian journey in a nutshell

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

My Christian journey in a nutshell

Postby dereklee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:39 pm

I was raised by two wonderful and godly parents (married now for 46 years) and have been Christian from a very young age. I veered away from walk with Christ for a seasonduring my college years; but renewed my walk with Christ as a young adult and have been strongly committed to my faith ever since.

I take my Christian faith very seriously and my relationship with Christ is truly the center of who I am. I believe in the inerrancy of God's Word; and that we all are sinners needing God's grace and redemption from our sins through the sacrifice of His Son to cleanse us of our wickedness and set us free from the sins that can so easily enslave us. Some of my favorite Christian thinkers are C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias, R.C Sproal, and Chuck Swindoll...just to name a few.

My wife and I also feel a very strong calling to minister to other married couples so that we can help one another make our marriages as strong as possible...to reflect God's desire for all that He created marriage to be.
dereklee
Resident

Re: My Christian journey in a nutshell

Postby natman » Mon May 01, 2017 12:43 pm

Howdy Derek and welcome to The Village.

I grew up (spiritually) listening to Chuck Swindoll and even attended one of his spin-off churches. However, later on, I found myself drawn to the teachings of RC Sproul and even now, subscribe to his daily devotional, "Table Talk" magazine.

I pray that God DOES take you into ministry to help other married couples. Marriage and family are the core of any society and they are the institutions that are most under attack in our societies today. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Maverick » Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm

Welcome again from another Texan, Derek. I drove through your city on the way to Laredo this past weekend--it's a very nice area! Austin traffic is the pits though. :lol:

What I've read or listened to from the four men you mentioned I've really enjoyed. I need to read more Swindoll and Sproul; I really dig C.S. Lewis and Ravi Zacharias. I love the "intellectual" side of Christianity, mainly because that's how I'm wired.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Mon May 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Hey Derek, glad to hear you are responding to a call to minister to other married couples. Hope to hear more about how you progress. I'm a pastor, and as for reading, I'm pretty much into anyone who teaches the Bible without trying to explain it away or use it to prove their own theology of things. The authors mentioned so far are good and solid. There are a few out there who used to be solid but now are "soft." Keep on watch, and keep in the Word!
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby nusixty » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

My journey with Christ began at my Baptism as an infant Growing up in a traditional Lutheran family. I have spent my life in service to the work of the Lord. Serving in my church in various capacities. I am getting ready to go on my 3rd mission trip. Building a home and ministering to the poor in Tijuana Mexico. God is good and I look to for strength, love, courage and peace on a daily basis. He is truly the way to eternal life. By his grace through faith in him we have eternal life.
nusixty
Resident

Postby dereklee » Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

natman wrote:Howdy Derek and welcome to The Village.

I grew up (spiritually) listening to Chuck Swindoll and even attended one of his spin-off churches. However, later on, I found myself drawn to the teachings of RC Sproul and even now, subscribe to his daily devotional, "Table Talk" magazine.

I pray that God DOES take you into ministry to help other married couples. Marriage and family are the core of any society and they are the institutions that are most under attack in our societies today. :(

Thanks for the encouragement and prayers, Nathan. I completely agree about the need for strong marriages and families.

God bless!

Derek
dereklee
Resident

Postby dereklee » Wed May 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Maverick wrote:Welcome again from another Texan, Derek. I drove through your city on the way to Laredo this past weekend--it's a very nice area! Austin traffic is the pits though. :lol:

What I've read or listened to from the four men you mentioned I've really enjoyed. I need to read more Swindoll and Sproul; I really dig C.S. Lewis and Ravi Zacharias. I love the "intellectual" side of Christianity, mainly because that's how I'm wired.

I do love living in the Austin area...but yes, the traffic is quite bad. I'm very glad that I can take the bus back and forth to work every day...definitely cuts down on the stress!

I have a intellectual bent as well which is why I like these particular teachers. You should definitely try to listen to Sproal; he has a daily podcast called Renewing Your Mind that you would probably really enjoy. Sproal's teaching style has always reminded me of some of my favorite professors in college.

God bless!
dereklee
Resident

Postby dereklee » Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 pm

naturaldon wrote:Hey Derek, glad to hear you are responding to a call to minister to other married couples. Hope to hear more about how you progress. I'm a pastor, and as for reading, I'm pretty much into anyone who teaches the Bible without trying to explain it away or use it to prove their own theology of things. The authors mentioned so far are good and solid. There are a few out there who used to be solid but now are "soft." Keep on watch, and keep in the Word!

Thanks for the encourgement, Don!
dereklee
Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey