Faith story

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Faith story

Postby RMOlson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 am

I wasn't not raised in a "Christian" home, but was sent to church on Sundays because a church bus can through the neighborhood. That ended when we moved to Texas and I started school there. My life was great we moved again this time to Missouri where all was well until my parents divorced and then I rebelled. I was angry and began to drink and get high. At sixteen my mom had enough and sent me To live with my dad. I new my life had to change and decided that I would get high before he picked me up and then I wouldn't do it again. He lived outside Atlanta so I thought it would be easy. My dad had become a Christian and he took me to church with him. I met some really nice kids there. But I still felt angry and alone. About four or five months latter I was so depressed I decided the next day at school I would find someone to get high with me. That evening one of the church kids called and asked if he could pick me up and we'd each at the pizza bash the church was having for the youth. That night I met Jesus. I didn't get high the next day.
Since then l have sought ways to serve the Father,from teaching Sunday school, to being a youth minister to running a Christian camp, to starting and running a teen drop in center, etc. i married my wife in 1991, we adopted one teen and two toddlers and fostered several other kid.s In 2004 we were called to move back to GA and care for my mother-in-law who had Alzheimer's and NPH. She and her husband have since passed and we are looking forward to what is next.
RMOlson
Permanent Resident

Re: Faith story

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 am

RMOlson wrote:..............My dad had become a Christian and he took me to church with him. I met some really nice kids there. But I still felt angry and alone. About four or five months latter I was so depressed I decided the next day at school I would find someone to get high with me. That evening one of the church kids called and asked if he could pick me up and we'd each at the pizza bash the church was having for the youth. That night I met Jesus..............
Since then l have sought ways to serve the Father,from teaching Sunday school, to being a youth minister to running a Christian camp, to starting and running a teen drop in center, etc...............................

As to that part where you said, "That night I met Jesus" Obviously that was a "watershed event" And while this entire post is a "Faith Story", those 5 words, though they "say it all" they "do not tell it all"!.

If we compare your "Faith Story" that you have posted here, to a book, then these 5 words are obviously the Key Chapter.

Perhaps we could persuade you to elaborate a bit more. Obviously that is asking for you to share something "a bit personal" but it seems to have been a "tipping point" event, and for those of us who have not had such an epiphany [1] event, but a more gradual conversion experience, it might be enlightening if you could expound it and its immediate aftermath as a 1Pet 3:15 [2] exercise.

[1]
In the sense of the #3 definition at Dictionary.com
epiphany
[ih-pif-uh-nee]
noun, plural epiphanies.
(initial capital letter) a Christian festival, observed on January 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day.
an appearance or manifestation, especially of a deity.
a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.

[2]
1Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Normski » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm

What a great story
Normski
Resident

Postby Maverick » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks for sharing, Randy! May God continue to bless you and your wife as y'all bless others.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Great testimony, Randy. Keep serving the Savior. What part of Missouri did you live in?
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

Hey Don, I used to live in the St. Louis area, now in GA.
RMOlson
Permanent Resident

Postby RMOlson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

If we compare your "Faith Story" that you have posted here, to a book, then these 5 words are obviously the Key Chapter.
I
Perhaps we could persuade you to elaborate a bit more. Obviously that is asking for you to share something "a bit personal" but it seems to have been a "tipping point" event, and for those of us who have not had such an epiphany [1] event, but a more gradual conversion experience, it might be enlightening if you could expound it and its immediate aftermath as a 1Pet 3:15 [2] exercise.

[1]
In the sense of the #3 definition at Dictionary.com
epiphany
[ih-pif-uh-nee]
noun, plural epiphanies.
(initial capital letter) a Christian festival, observed on January 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day.
an appearance or manifestation, especially of a deity.
a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.

[2]
1Pet 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:[/quote]

It was more of a whispering of Him in my ear the said come to me, as I listened to the speaker at the event, 'I know you like no other can and love you regardless of your past, trust Me.' That began the relationship. Sometimes I listen better than others, but when I wander the He is still there, quietly waiting .
RMOlson
Permanent Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey