A Journey of Faith, Certainty and Discovery

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: A Journey of Faith, Certainty and Discovery

Postby dv8 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm

As I have said elsewhere, I have been kept away for a while - my regrets for not staying with this deeply engaging conversation. There's no need to re-start things at this point, but I wanted to simply state my gratitude for the challenges made, which I can now re-read to further my understanding. I'm guessing we are closer as a group than we realize when we first interact, and although we may all worship in different ways and might vote differently at the ballot box, I am encouraged that we are listening to the Holy Spirit and living from an intent to love, honor and obey. Proverbs 27:17 has been a comfort to me since my Bible school days, when a music team I sang with performed a setting of that verse, "Iron sharpens Iron," over a multi-week driving tour of the upper midwest. I know I can use some deep sharpening!

I wanted to finish with special thanks for the following:
Englishman wrote:...In Eph 3:17b-19 Paul says, "... that you being rooted & grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge..." I often feel the hyphen represents a pause in the Apostle's dictation when the absolute splendour of what he was attempting to communicate simply overwhelmed him. To be able to know that which passes knowledge sounds oxymoronic but in Him such things are true & here I am slowly getting to the point; there is stuff about God I will never fully know this side of the grave. I may get glimpses; glimpses of heaven so wonderful I would be reduced, like Ezekiel, to trying to express infinite truth in finite language....

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.
dv8
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Hello, dv8, and a long-delayed welcome. -- Is it possible that, while the Truth is brilliant, clear and simple, our minds (though being regenerated and "reNude" :) ), are still so unused to the brilliance that it seems dark to us?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby dv8 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Jochanaan - thank you for that. Yes, we see as though "through a glass, darkly" - and I really like your re-setting of that idea. I recall being troubled by that verse in my youth; there was so much that I wanted to believe was clear, so how could my faith community be wrong? Yet with age comes greater experience, and with greater experience comes a new perspective on things that once seemed clear. I have become more introspective on the shortcomings of my human intellect, and place more faith in the greater promises of the gospel than on the details of the doctrines.

I trust that you are well!
dv8
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey