I'm still believing

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

I'm still believing

Postby starmagic » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:59 am

So, I was raised in church, but the church actually did a lot more harm than good to me. It was an extremely spiritually abusive environment, and I also went to their private school from K-12, which didn't help matters. I struggled a lot with my own image, depression, anxiety, and much more because of them (and in many ways still do). I went through a period where I was questioning God and did a lot of detailed research into Christianity and other philosophies/spiritual views/religions, but in the end I ultimately came to realize that I did indeed believe in a loving God - it was just the church that I lost my faith in.

Since then, I grew up (and after all I've been through, my faith in Him and His grace is the only thing that's kept me standing all this time) and started visiting other churches, and have had both positive and negative experiences. I'm currently not attending because I didn't like the direction my last church was going in after a while, but I'm hoping that'll change before too much longer. Blessings to you all! :)
starmagic
Resident

Re: I'm still believing

Postby nudie66 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:08 pm

Thank you for your honesty, starmagic. Remember that what Jesus referred to as the Church is not what we as humans have turned it into. However, we still have the power to express His love, forgiveness, and acceptance to those who are searching for it. The churches you've attended may not have reflected the unconditional love of God, but we can be the change the world needs to see, to coin a phrase.

Hope to interact with you here in the Village more often. Hope you are glad you joined.
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Keep looking. Don't give up.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Cvick » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:17 am

Having a lay leadership role within the Church of England I can sympathise with your feelings. The churches I have experienced are hampered by antiquated buildings and mindsets. But there are always good and faithful Christians in them praying and working to help others physically, emotionally and spiritually. I pray you find Christians who will become your church
Cvick
Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:38 am

I have to say I rather like antiquated buildings - there was - still was last year - a rather nice specimen across the way from my office in London.

as for antiquated mindsets - some MODERN church mindsets are quite as bad.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Starmagic, I just discovered this thread (as nudists/naturists we prefer the term strip) but want to welcome you to the village. I don’t consider myself religious and not a Christian but have nothing against anyone who is. Though it didn’t occur in church which I did attend as a child, off and on with my parents into my teens I did have a very difficult time with my very close minded dad’s views against any other religion. According to him and my mom, if a person was not a Christian he/she was automatically condemned to Hell for eternity. I was baptized in my early 20s but can’t say I ever truly believed (was saved). But, I guess it made my parents feel better about my soul, especially since I would soon be going to Viet Nam. I married a Buddhist and could never believe her faith was the wrong one. Consequently, we didn’t raise our children in church and both have become very good and honorable adults who have and are raising their children to be the same.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Cvick » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:15 am

Petros wrote:I have to say I rather like antiquated buildings - there was - still was last year - a rather nice specimen across the way from my office in London.

as for antiquated mindsets - some MODERN church mindsets are quite as bad.

Petros, I too like antiquated buildings but my point is that if a dwindling congregation has to spend all its resources on maintaining that building then there is little opportunity to serve theIr neighbours. Equally, the same goes for mindset there is nothing wrong with antiquated mindsets or modern mindset as long as they are focused on service and loving. Other posters in this thread have experienced church in the negative light of judgement and non acceptance, removing barriers to people believing and accepting Christ whether physical intellectual spiritual or emotional is part of our calling just as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:20-22
Cvick
Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:15 am

if a dwindling congregation has to spend all its resources on maintaining that building then there is little opportunity to serve theIr neighbours

True enough - but the financial is the least of that service. I have known a self-centered, personal power focussed pastor of a landed church - I have known an unworldly caring priest whose presence and prayer made a big difference to my mother in law on her deathbed. Remember the widow's mite.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey