Continuing my Introduction~

Are you Christian? Any other faith? No faith? Tell us just a bit about the role "faith" plays in your life. Don't seek to evangelize here. This is a "story-telling" forum. All submissions are equally valued if given in a positive spirit. New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Continuing my Introduction~

Postby Petros » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Bare Truth -

I think I am [as nearly as ever with anybody] near enough your wavelength.

As regards "christianity", as an obstinate Didymist academic, I tend to strive to use words with their authentic meaning, rather than the Twitter trend [I know this to be contrary to the spirit of the Linguistics I grew up in and the NeoWebster dictionary - tough].

So I totally agree, Christ taught nothing like several of the doctrinal systems some have chosen to call "christianity" [yes, churchianity but not JUST what the somewhat disappointing end of churchianity film addresses] and go on to maintain that Christianity is what he DID teach - if only all of us so taight and practiced.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Present day use of language has been deliberately misconstrued and twisted, and it often leads to confusion and misdirection of ideas. I think this is just such a case.

I wonder where that came from???

'Same tactic he used on Adam and Eve. :argh:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 am

Words mean what Big Brother says they mean. How gay is that?

There is a big difference between Babelization and tongue twisting.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:13 am

Petros wrote:...So I totally agree, Christ taught nothing like several of the doctrinal systems some have chosen to call "christianity" [yes, churchianity but not JUST what the somewhat disappointing end of churchianity film addresses] and go on to maintain that Christianity is what he DID teach - if only all of us so taight and practiced.

Should I feel insulted? Whose doctrine? What doctrine?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:17 am

Bare_Truth wrote:Much of the world incorporates a permissive attitude toward sin in the word "tolerance" whereas the relavent characteristics of Christ were longsuffering, forgiveness, grace, and redemption.

Present day use of language has been deliberately misconstrued and twisted, and it often leads to confusion and misdirection of ideas. I think this is just such a case.

One way to eliminate sin is to say that nothing is sinful.
I'm okay! You're okay!
That way, no one needs to repent, no one has to change any behavior, no matter how odious.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:15 am

ramblinman:

if one's premise is that Christianity at its base is what Christ taught - which it seems to me it must be - and if one proceeds from the premise that what he taught is what he taught, not more, not less, not shifting san based "what he REALLY meant" or "what he would say if he were here today", then one cannot blink the fact that sin is, that I am a sinner, and that something has to be done about sin one way or the other.

So we are not authorized to invent new sins [whistling on Sunday, becoming a Christiasn while employed at the university, not apologizing when twittered at, etc.] nor to give a free pass to old sins [killing policemen because one feels oppressed, taking reams of paper from work for the home office, starting a coven].

As for doctrine, I have no cause to point finger or wag the head at anyone here [though I have known a couple]. But I suspect you will agree that the majority of established doctrinal systems have accretions and wrestings that add to or subtract from or modify without warrant those teachings. Many of which are inconsequential until the doctors get an attitude about them.

I have been reading Sir / St Thomas More's pleasing piece on the Passion [he liked alliteration]. At one point he utters a plaint regarding those reformers who opt for communion under both kinds - at his time OUT for the Church of Rome, now back IN [though I recently heard an RC commentator regretting the change]. His problem is not with the change in protocol so much as with the fact that the both kinds proponents were looking down their noses and accusing the no cup Catholics of being horrible heinous heretics.

So - as often illustrated here - one of us sees THESE truths and the other sees THOSE truths and we are fine as long as neither of us thinks he has the whole elephant; we can keep seeking and dialogue and hear from the Spirit and be brethren. But if I say HAH! YOU shave your chin before your cheeks, you are going straight to the naughty place - well, I hain't a-being Christlike.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Petros,
In my ignorance I have to ask:
Was there ever a controversy about shaving chin before cheeks or vice-versa?

It sounds so bizarre that it almost has a ring of truth. :toofunny:

It sounds sort of like it might have been the inspiration for Swift's posing the religious controversy between Lilliput and Blefuscue over the schism between the Little-endians and the Big-endians as to the eating of boiled eggs.

I am aware of such things arising in religions because of the manner in which their prophet, or exalted leader, or founder did routine things; so that must be the"preferred", "proper", hence "mandatory" way for the true believing, faithful, disciples, to do the same.

I personally witnessed within one group, individuals (ones having a cultic orientation of mind), mimicking the way certain key leaders combed their hair.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:07 am

Yes, quite comparable to the Bigendians and Littleendians, or Dr Seuss' Butter side up / down controversy [was THAT independent, I wonder, or modified from Dean Swift's eggs?].

I know of no such practice. But with Amish [beard but no moustache], Sikhs [no cutting of head or face hair, hence complex turban practice, it is the sort of thing that could easily go from fashion statement to religious or tribal distinctive.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:50 am

Bonhoeffer said that if we were to see and hear Christ alone with his words on a Sunday morning, "we would find quite a different group hearing him and quite a different group rejecting him." (this is not an exact quote since I only have the book on Audible) He points out that the true teachings of Christ (Christianity) are often times lost among dogma and tradition. It is important to remember, however, that it is not the teaching of Christ, but rather Christ himself that is the Basis of Christianity, the teachings are only a part. Jesus did not say this is the Way to life, this is the truth, but rather I am the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me. Jesus taught that he was the only way to life. Nurse More I hope that you will look to Christ to find truth. You are obviously educated and intelligent and yet you accept mutually exclusive contradictory premises. Christianity, Judaism and Islam say that there is only one God, Buddhism and Shinto say that there is no God, and Hinduism claims something like 30,000 gods. They can obviously all be false, but they can not obviously all be true. All contain some elements of truth, but only Christianity has Christ who claimed to be Truth incarnate. Ignore most of what Christianity says, but please consider carefully what Jesus Said and did. Accept or reject Christianity based upon him, not upon Christians. If you decide to become a follower of Jesus, then you will become a poor imitation of him, just like the rest of us. Badly flawed and completely unable to represent Jesus, but forgiven because of his love for us expressed in his Grace and Mercy.
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:24 pm

What a long strip (threads are for textiles, remember :) ) in response to an honest introduction! :o Nurse_More, let me say again that you are welcome here whether you do or do not believe in Jesus at all. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:12 am

Mind you - NOT everyone who believes is ALL that welcome. Leave us not forget James and his intriguing line, "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

I am NOT sure naturist demons - if any such there be - would be welcome.

Which of course, jochanaan, does not invalidate your statement. But it has been a long day and at certain energy levels I canot help myself, to Herself's despair.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:40 am

Petros wrote:...But it has been a long day and at certain energy levels I canot help myself, to Herself's despair.
Then may the LORD send you "an instrument of His peace." :)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 am

jochanaan wrote:
Petros wrote:...But it has been a long day and at certain energy levels I canot help myself, to Herself's despair.

Which instrument would that be, clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello, harp, piano...??? :mrgreen:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:03 pm

natman wrote:
jochanaan wrote:

Which instrument would that be, clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello, harp, piano...??? :mrgreen:

Whichever one bring "hope...where there is despair." :)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:02 pm

jochanaan wrote:
natman wrote:Which instrument would that be, clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello, harp, piano...??? :mrgreen:

Whichever one bring "hope...where there is despair." :)

I figured you would have said, "Why, a FLUTE, of course!". :D
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

PreviousNext

Return to Tell us about your Faith Journey