Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: age

Postby montanaman » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 am

It's very sad that our (American)society thinks it's okay for children to be seen naked but not adults. Something very wrong with that. I hate the fact that we have to find such secluded places to do what comes natural (no pun intended)to us.
montanaman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:57 pm

montanaman wrote:It's very sad that our (American)society thinks it's okay for children to be seen naked but not adults. Something very wrong with that. I hate the fact that we have to find such secluded places to do what comes natural (no pun intended)to us.
Sadly, montanaman, that is changing, and not for the better!
My own journey probably began in my teens, when I enjoyed getting nude by myself either in the house or outside. For many years after that I slept in the nude. But about ten years ago now (I was 43), I stumbled across a Christian nudist web site (not this one, which didn't yet exist!). Now, you'd think that, being a Christian all those years, I would have read what the Bible actually said about nudity--but I hadn't! Well, I did, and--here I am!

:biggrin:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Odum610a » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I am 25 and in grad school and I am nude as much as pssible for as long as I can remember. I've never been to a formal "nudist" event though for fear of being too young and feeling a bit out of place.
Odum610a
Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Odum610a wrote:I am 25 and in grad school and I am nude as much as pssible for as long as I can remember. I've never been to a formal "nudist" event though for fear of being too young and feeling a bit out of place.

Florida Young Naturists is for people 18 to 30. You might consider making a trip to their next big event and you will be considered middle-aged in that group.

On the other hand, I have seen teenagers and college age folks enjoying the company of people both their own age and older folks.
If you live your life always afraid to try new things, you are guaranteed a disappointing life.
I am not saying take a chance on everything in life, but why not try this just once?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby nudist2011 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Mine didn't happen until my wife died in April, 2011. Had been married 47 years when she died. I've been a nudist since then. For me it was the right choice. I belong to the AANR and the The Naturist Society (TNS). Now I'm 72 and enjoying every bit of being nude.
Fred R. Rome, N.Y.
I'm a Methodist nudist. Became a nudist April 6, 2011
nudist2011
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

nudist2011 wrote:Mine didn't happen until my wife died in April, 2011. Had been married 47 years when she died. I've been a nudist since then. For me it was the right choice. I belong to the AANR and the The Naturist Society (TNS). Now I'm 72 and enjoying every bit of being nude.
Fred R. Rome, N.Y.

Fred,

I don't know if your wife was taught against innocent nudity as a girl. Religious folks often mistakenly teach their daughters that nice girls don't show skin (and in certain contexts that is true, but to teach them "never ever be naked" takes it way too far).
In addition, a lot of women also struggle with impossible standards of beauty that no woman can measure up to.

I would hate to say that she kept you back from one of life's great joys (nude recreation), but I know you wouldn't hold it against her even if that were the case.

I guess Fred's long-deferred naturism should also be a warning to single nudist guys not to keep ducking the issue with a serious girlfriend. You don't have to confine yourself to dating nudists, but as you get to know her well enough to discuss serious matters and know that your confidentiality will not be broken, you need to have "that conversation". Eventually she ought to be fully informed and not antagonistic to it or you need to break it off before either one of you gets hurt.

For the guys who are already married to a textile wife, you've got a duty to stay with her and try to help her get a handle on body image and on naturism, but some of your wives are so deeply indoctrinated you may live your entire life even if she is willing to let the Lord undo the damaging doctrines that a lot of sweet Christian girls in the USA are raised with.

Social nudity may be optional to a Christian's life, but the values behind it are so much a part of Christian teaching that people who leave these ideas out of their Christian walk will be crippled in that walk. To quote scripture, "The double-minded man is unstable in all his ways".

But looking at the bright side, let's thank the Lord that Fred finally discovered how God wants us to live.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Odum610a » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 pm

Ramblinman wrote:If you live your life always afraid to try new things, you are guaranteed a disappointing life.
I am not saying take a chance on everything in life, but why not try this just once?

That's a great point. Carpe diem! Thanks for the link too. Definitely look into that.
Odum610a
Resident

Postby mj6 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 pm

I alway's love being nude. Never did growing up but when i went out on my own until marriage I was nude quite often. Now I sieze the moments I can, although its always by myself. Forgot to add I am now 44 and am starting to think about nudism. Never before thought of myself as a nudist until now.
mj6
Resident

Postby NakedMan57 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:40 pm

I was just out of the womb and made the decision to get naked whenever possible. :) Growing up we would go out into the surrounding hills, me, my brother and a few friends, and strip down and play games or just hike around. A bad thing happened to me when we moved from southern Nevada to southern California, and it has to do with the fact that I never had a clue about poison oak. :oops: My dad was puzzled because the rash was everywhere on my body, I mean everywhere. So, when he asked me about how it got down there I just told him we were playing "nudists." He smiled, shook his head and walked away giggling.
A few weeks after getting married my bride and I were out in the coastal hills of California, naked, and I had another brush with the poison oak. Well, needless to say, that put a damper on our honeymoon for a few weeks. :?
I was never naked with the opposite sex until I married my wonderful wife. We have been married for 33 years and are usually naked at least 10 hours each day. When the weather is conducive, we like to find secluded places to take "naked hikes" and or swims. We have been discussing social nudity and hopefully that will come to pass this coming summer (2012). I will let you know. :wink:
Well, there's my 2 cents.
NM57
NakedMan57
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:25 pm

mj6 wrote:I alway's love being nude. Never did growing up but when i went out on my own until marriage I was nude quite often. Now I sieze the moments I can, although its always by myself. Forgot to add I am now 44 and am starting to think about nudism. Never before thought of myself as a nudist until now.

MJ,

You seem to be following the trend of so many other men who don't ever consider nudism (I prefer "naturism") until they are middle-aged. Unfortunately, most women seem to be headed the opposite direction as they approach that age in their lives.

I was sort of blessed to have been raised in a household where, although we would not label ourselves as "nudists" or "naturists", we were not ashamed of our bodies. I helped my mom bath my younger siblings. She would fill the tub and get in, then I would undress my brothers and sisters one at a time, hand one to her to bathe and take one from her when she was done to dry them off and get them dressed. The only family member I did not see naked very often was my dad because he was in the service and usually away somewhere.

I also had a family of nudists on one side and a clothing-optional family from Europe on the other.

From junior high on and in the Boy Scouts, I became very accustomed to showering, bathing and changing in front of others. In high school, some friends and I, including a couple of girls would go surfing in the early mornings when no one else was on the beaches and sometimes we could do that nude for a while. No body ever bothered us or said anything.

I tend to refer to myself as a "naturist" rather than a "nudist". Whereas "nudists" just like to be nude for nudity's sake, I believe that simple nudity is better for the body and for the environment. It is the way that God intended for us to interface to His world, including natural sunlight, air and water, and, to eachother, shamelessly displaying His "Image and Likeness".
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby mj6 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Natman wrote: nudists" just like to be nude for nudity's sake, What is this? Just like to be nude for nudity's sake.
Forgive me, I am not studied up on everything yet, but what is the difference between nutists and naturists? Don't naturists like to be nude just to be nude? or are they just nude because it is better for nature in general? Are there times when you could be nude that aren't appropriate? Is being a naturist only someone who enjoys being nude in nature or the outdoors?

Sorry maybe to many questions but I want to understand the true meaning of being a "nudist" or a "naturist".
mj6
Resident

Postby natman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm

In general, "naturists" see nudity as the "natural" way we are made. We come into the world nude just like all of the rest of (God's) creatures, and anything after that is added by man and has some effect on us and on our environment. At the same time, "naturists" realize that our "natural" bodies are not suited for every environment and that, at times, some form of protective clothing is needed. However, that is usually the exception rather than the norm, unless you live in Alaska or in the Sahara Desert.

On the other hand, "nudists" just prefer to be nude... period. They do not particularly need a reason other than that.

As a "naturist", I have LOTS of reasons to be nude. I prefer to be nude when practical because I know that is how God created, intended and indeed intends for me (us) to exist. I know that our bodies were designed to do best when exposed to natural sunlight, air and water. I know that growing, harvesting, processing, manufacturing, marketing, distributing, laundering and storing of fabric-based clothing is expensive and harmful for the environment. I also know that being nude, being seen nude and seeing others nude is psychologically, emotionally and sociologically beneficial to myself and others. And I believe that being nude, being seen nude and seeing others nude in the manner that God created us, declaring us to be made in "His image and likeness" is honoring to the Lord, as demonstrated by the actions of the OT prophets who were noted to have been seen nude and to have prayed for days on end nude.

Does that help?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby mj6 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:24 pm

In my limited knowledge I think I understand. Thank you!
mj6
Resident

Postby btonnude » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 am

i think at 19/20 when i was a little bit more mature mentally
btonnude
Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:46 pm

What is now called nudism and naturism began in Germany and France in the early part of the 20th century.
Nudity was merely a part of an overall plan to restore health and natural living.
Clubs formed and people met on private land to enjoy this new health practice and to discuss the philosophy based on that practice.

The movement came to the United States in the 1930's and was known as "nudism" here.

In Germany the movement was first called the Free Body Culture, (Frei Korper Kultur in the native German).

In France, it was called Naturiste.

While the greater social freedoms in Europe allowed the FKK and Naturiste participants to enjoy nudity on many beaches and even city parks, the freedom to be nude outside of resorts was slower to come in the United States.

In the late 60's and early 1970's, the counterculture movement in the United States led many hippies or flower children to try skinny dipping and other forms of social nudity. Some of these participants at informal nude beaches were the children of resort-going nudists, but most were young people new to the idea. Not all those involved in the counterculture stuck with social nudity, but those who did, came to refer to it as "naturism", an anglicized form of the French word.

For a number of years, at least in the United States, nudists were those who went to nudist camps and resorts. Naturists were those who enjoyed nudity outdoors, typically on beaches or on camping trips.

The Naturist Society developed from the naturist movement and has historically been a stronger supporter of legislation to form and protect nude beaches and elsewhere outside resorts.

Nudists, having been established longer, were a more conservative and cautious group, not wanting to make waves, reluctant to push legislation unless it affected the right to be nude behind the fences of a resort.

In the past 10 or 20 years, the boundaries seem to be softening between naturism and nudism. There are increasing numbers of people who are both members of private nudist camps and resorts and enjoy nude recreation in discrete settings on public land.

Nudist is a better-known term in American English and yet it is often a term misunderstood by the general public.
Naturist is not as well-known a word in the USA, but may require just as much explanation when the question comes up.

I am one of those who prefer the way the term "naturism" implies harmony with nature and healthy living as well as the mere preference for nudity. But in all fairness to those who call themselves "nudist", until very recently, nudist clubs never promoted nudity alone, but always in the context of healthy living, exercise, and good diet.

One criticism of modern-American nudism is that in their push to endorse body acceptance, this has somehow morphed into an acceptance of unhealthy lifestyles such as slothful living, smoking, a poor diet and drinking alcohol to excess.
Our Christian training reminds us to love the sinner, but hate the sin. This is what we need to return balance to our nudist or naturist culture.

Nudism has often been run for the exclusive benefit of resorts and neglected the long-term needs of the movement.
To some extent social change has prevented young adults with families from attending nudist venues as they did in the past, but bad resort policies or benign neglect have also served to discourage a new generation from joining clubs, campgrounds and resorts.

The Naturist Society has rightfully criticized organized nudism when it looks the other way at this problem and even gross immorality is coddled. But there has been a lot of unnecessary animosity between The Naturist Society and AANR Nudists.

There has also been unnecessary animosity between American nudists/naturists and evangelical Christians.
There are those who have been hurt by legalistic even vindictive churches. And some evangelicals who did become naturists have possibly overstepped the bounds in pushing their faith at resorts, but even pagan or non-religious naturists should recognize the benefit in finding common ground with Christian naturists of good will. I think the time is here to put the past behind us and work to educate the general public and if necessary fight for our right to social nudity inside and outside resort walls.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Are you a naturist?