Naturism and inner peace

Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Naturism and inner peace

Postby johnmartin » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:47 am

Reading the New Daylight today, the topic was on humility. I noticed the definition for humility as used by the writer could by altering a few words be used for naturism.
When we are content with our nudity, naturism sets us free. We are not embarrassed by our nakedness, our relationships improve, our inner peace is restored and we find ourselves having a whole lot more fun.
johnmartin
New Comer

Re: Naturism and inner peace

Postby Petros » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:25 am

I would say there is a relationship - that humility can / should be a component of nudism, and that some antinudism involves a failure of humility.

But of course it is complex, and there can be elements in nudism that are very far from humility.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:57 am

I and others have been saying for years that naked is the most modest "dress" by the Biblical definition of modesty. :) Yes, humble fits too. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Son of two Classicists steps up:

We remind ourselves that humility at base is lowliness, not exalting oneself, while the base meaning of modesty is being temperate, within bounds - both compatible with naturism.

Whereas the mainstream sees nudity as - at one end - a humiliation to be inflicted on others; and - at the other extreme - an immodest flaunting of oneself.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Petros wrote:We remind ourselves that humility at base is lowliness, not exalting oneself, while the base meaning of modesty is being temperate, within bounds - both compatible with naturism.

I have been taught that humility is NOT "lowliness", but actually understanding where one is in the scheme of things. Jesus was "humble", even though He held the power of the universe in His hands. He knew that was subservient to the Father and Coservient the Holy Spirit. He also knew that He was in control of all creation.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:40 am

Well, we have the usual tension between the origins of the word and the developments in its meaning. A common problem and one we need to watch out for in arguing from words. As - hotel, hostel, hospital are all in origin the same word with the original source meaning "place for guests". And obviously that does not account for current usage adequately.

"humility" has the source meaning lowness. But it has never that I know of had as a major current meaning devaluing yourself, either through low self esteem or false modesty. The mainline meaning has in most cases I have seen been rather "not exalting oneself". Which of course includes a straightforward recognition of one;s strong points.

One of my early glowing Christians was a Wycliffe type and fellow UCLA student - would I remembered his name - who was so totally humble putting himself neither down nor up - that it made me blush for my bumptiousness.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby johnmartin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Petros wrote:
"humility" has the source meaning lowness. But it has never that I know of had as a major current meaning devaluing yourself, either through low self esteem or false modesty. The mainline meaning has in most cases I have seen been rather "not exalting oneself". Which of course includes a straightforward recognition of one;s strong points.

Luke 18:14 says "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other;for everyone who exalts himself will be abased, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Humility before one another and God is a strong point when we are dependent upon God for His strength.
johnmartin
New Comer

Postby prairieboy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:16 pm

natman wrote:
Petros wrote:We remind ourselves that humility at base is lowliness, not exalting oneself, while the base meaning of modesty is being temperate, within bounds - both compatible with naturism.

I have been taught that humility is NOT "lowliness", but actually understanding where one is in the scheme of things. Jesus was "humble", even though He held the power of the universe in His hands. He knew that was subservient to the Father and Coservient the Holy Spirit. He also knew that He was in control of all creation.

I agree. Christian humility is to consider my opinion of myself as having no value, but to consider God's opinion of me to be everything; son of God, ambassador of the Kingdom of Heaven, more than a conqueror, etc, in Christ.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Return to Are you a naturist?