Body Image

Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Have you found that you take better care of yourself since becoming a naturist?

Yes
84%
No
16%
Who cares?
No votes

Total votes : 25

Re: Body Image

Postby WalkingLightly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm

I've thought about it in the last year and have come to the conclusion that I'm not inclined to live life as a naturist. I go commando all the time, and sleep nude, but I want to live with my non-naturist family and friends and I experience a natural modesty in those situations.

BUT, I had some body image issues from childhood that just wouldn't go away and after suggestions from a naturist pastor, I went a couple times to the Avalon Resort in WV. Found that I really enjoyed the experiece and it seemed to help improve my body image. Since then I've been noticing that you don't have to look like a hollywood actor to be a good looking guy. We're all just different. Acceptance is more how I relate to others and how I view myself. And it's amazing that when I was at Avalon, I lost my feelings of modesty, unless the other person was clothed.
- WL
WalkingLightly
Resident

Postby prairieboy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 am

Yes, but it is coincidental. I got my dog the same year, and she liked to go for long fast walks. I did not like puffing along behind her, and so I started to watch what I was eating. Actually the body "image" is not that big a deal, it is the increased level of fitness that I like.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:17 am

WalkingLightly wrote:... And it's amazing that when I was at Avalon, I lost my feelings of modesty, unless the other person was clothed.

Walking Lightly, I think that you will find that the way you used "my feelings of modesty" is an awkward way of saying what I think you are saying. Among Nudists and Naturistis (which ever they think is a better term) the concept of modesty does not really have anything to do with clothing or covering up. Clothing is actually irrelevant to the question of modesty as modesty is a matter of how you think of yourself and how your actions show that. Modesty is a matter of not putting on airs or acting if you are more important than you are or even declaring accurately how important you actually are unless there is a real need. If I am a doctor it is irrelevant unless someone has need of my special training.

Clothing gets tied up with the concept of modesty in that so many people use clothing in order to put on airs and stress how really important they are. I mention this because every social group has its own way of understanding and using language. And among naturists and possibly even more so among Christian naturists it is an important point not to puff up our egos and simply be real down to earth people.

When we shed our clothes we get rid of a whole set of possible clues to how important we are and we just become people without pretence or the trappings that many use to show pretence. That is to say we simplify to the basics about ourself and people do not have to wonder if we are "sending messages" about or selves or social pecking orders etc. It is one of the ways in which Naturism becomes more relaxing when we shed the camoflage of irrelevant social trappings.

Strip off, kick back, enjoy the freedom and lets share in our common humanity, Hope to see you around here a lot.

Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:39 am

WalkingLightly wrote:...I want to live with my non-naturist family and friends and I experience a natural modesty in those situations....
Is it in fact modesty? Or is it simply fear that they will reject you if you get too insistent about your naturism? If the latter, don't feel bad about it; I and many others know that fear, which brings with it a sense of "modesty" that is simply knowing where their boundaries are.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby WalkingLightly » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:
WalkingLightly wrote:... And it's amazing that when I was at Avalon, I lost my feelings of modesty, unless the other person was clothed.

Walking Lightly, I think that you will find that the way you used "my feelings of modesty" is an awkward way of saying what I think you are saying. Among Nudists and Naturistis (which ever they think is a better term) the concept of modesty does not really have anything to do with clothing or covering up. ...

Bare_Truth

jochanaan wrote:
WalkingLightly wrote:...I want to live with my non-naturist family and friends and I experience a natural modesty in those situations....
Is it in fact modesty? Or is it simply fear that they will reject you if you get too insistent about your naturism? If the latter, don't feel bad about it; I and many others know that fear, which brings with it a sense of "modesty" that is simply knowing where their boundaries are.

Guys, thanks for your thought provoking comments! Maybe I expressed my self wrongly...

But, in both of those comments from me, I was trying to express (I think the healthy) feeling of not wanting to impose my freedom with nudity on others who aren't comfortable with it. So in those situations, since they are uncomfortable with nudity I would naturally want to cover up. that's all.

I was completely comfortable with my body each time I've been naked at the resort. I do have emotional hangups I try to cover, but I don't think they're connected to my body image. I do have body image issues but they're more tied to an unhealthy self-image of what a "desirable man" "should" look like. So I do appreciate your comments regarding that!

Probably off-topic, but I went through a period when I'd just started to sleep nude and go commando where I didn't care, for example on a group camping trip, whether any of the other guys were uncomfortable with me walking around nude when changing in the tent or cabin. I originally figured it was "my" freedom and they weren't going to stomp on it.

Well, On one such outing, maybe 10 of us had sleeping bags in a large one room cabin. At bedtime, I stood up, faced my male relatives rather than the group at large, and changed my underware just before bedding down. Done - end of story. Maybe took a minute. Didn't joke around or swing my dick or have any kind of erection. I Didn't find out for like 5 years that my brother-in-law was so offended that that's why he left immediately the next morning and wouldn't talk to me for a year or so. He never explained why he was affected that way, even to my sister, but I could have avoided it by changing discretely in a situation where I didn't know how the others would react. (Since then I've noticed others changing discretely too.)

Now My church buddies didn't even notice. And when I asked a couple of 'em later on, just for due dilligence, they indicated there wasn't a reason to ask. BUT, as I say, there really was. That one incident caused me and my family lots of grief. Was it his problem? You bet. Could I have avoided it? You bet. Should I have tried. Well, I would try now in light of that experience. I don't want to give up my freedom, but my relationships I think should be more important than a brief moment of comfort.

Well, that's the theory anyway!!, i'm not yet a "saint" on this issue. I like my comfort and try to fight for it. I don't want to have to care. But my experiences mitigate otherwise... Sadly...(!)

@Bare_Truth, I think I hear you and completely agree. I hate dressing up for church. I like to wear jeans or shorts and even just a (not dirty Mom! T-Shirt) unless all my other stuff is in the wash... Or, mayb unless I want to go ahead and look nice... Drives me up the wall to NOT dress like I normally do when in a situation where you're supposed to be together as brothers focusing on God and being a Spiritual Family. I can see an aspect of what you mention in feeling freedom in social nudity, but not if the other person has a problem with it.

Which probably mitigates against jeans...( :argh: )... :) Well, at least in that area, I am willing to put up with any loss of respect, and actually I think I'm an agent of change...( :D ).

@jochanaan, I have to think about what you said, but I think I agree. If there's a fear in me, I think it's a combination of them thinking less of me or that I'm a pervert, but it's also that I would unknowingly set someone off for reasons i probably couldn't fathom. I suspect it's like offering someone a drink if you don't realize they're an alcoholic. I've heard there are more guys than one would think who have been sexually abused as a child, or who are otherwise so afraid of nudity that they are deeply offended by it.

It's - when I don't know where their boundaries are - that is the difficult part for me! Experience and probably the Spirit are moving me to assume that unknown people might have a problem. I think that's mostly what modesty means to me.
- WL
WalkingLightly
Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:34 pm

If your brother-in-law was that offended, and didn't speak to you about it, that's on him, not you. He could easily have let you know about his discomfort, but he chose to hold onto his bad feelings. But I know how crazy families can be about this sort of thing. Some of my own brothers and sisters have blocked me on Facebook because I do not hide my fondness for nudity...
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natfree » Fri May 06, 2016 12:05 pm

the naturist way of live is good for the health, the real and true friendship with other, and give us a good modus to respekt the nature and the environnment.

natfree

natfree
Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri May 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Natfree,

Please post more often, it has been about 3 months and I think you have a lot we would like to hear about, what Naturism is like where you live.
Bare_Truth
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 pm

I've been excessively scared of being seen naked. No reason for it in current life. Been working on changing it, and making some progress, it's an automatic response that I can't consciously control. I've very secure emotionally, I accept myself as is physically, except that I want to eat better to maintain better health long term. Which is where my gardening activities come in. Where naked is expected and accepted I'll be fine with it now I'm sure. Beyond that it would still be pretty hard to get myself to do it I think. All I can ascertain is that it's a combination of being naturally very shy from birth and then some ridicule of my nakedness at around 5-6 years old from my older sister. But lately I notice I'm less concerned that I might by chance be seen naked while pursuing normal activities. My cousin (by marriage) who lives with us, mentioned he saw me moving my tub the other day. I know I was doing that while naked part of the time and the thought that he might have seen me didn't bother me like it once would have. Ah! progress perhaps. Come to think of it, he may have been naked as well since he mentioned he was washing up. (don't have much for indoor facilities) We'll get there someday perhaps, where I won't care if I'm seen.

So no, don't think my naked adventures has anything to do with self care, other than trying to get all the sun exposure I can during the chilly season. My desire for self care comes from other incentives.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby toramei » Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Body image has been brain washed into our being for years one must look like this.Then one day you look at yourself in the mirror and you see what GOD had made.All is good.
My wife's vision has been not as good she has lost a lot of vision.I scraped my back on something I asked her how bad it was and she told me sorry honey can't help you with that,What to do oh my new phone I could set the timer and take a picture of my backside.I did that and I looked at the picture and saw my acne scars and some dark spots.My scrape was not so bad but it did hurt.I looked at the picture and my butt has a cluster of red pimples what is that? I think I will need a visit to my dermatologist for a skin exam.
Just think most people are covered in clothes 24/7 and do not know how they look like with out them.I am going to take some more pictures of me from all angles and I will be able to discuss my skin problems better with the doctor.

Rich
" Who told you that you were naked ? " Do not suffocate your skin let it breathe.
toramei
Resident

Postby Jim » Tue May 31, 2016 8:09 pm

toramei wrote:Then one day you look at yourself in the mirror and you see what GOD had made.All is good.

Yes. We are wonderfully made. The evil one would like to conceal this.
Jim
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Are you a naturist?