Well, yes, you could say, but there's still this

Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Well, yes, you could say, but there's still this

Postby baresoul » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:00 pm

Like OzTech, I see there is a matter of labels. I am a nudist, I can be frank about that. When I started I preferred the term naturist, too, but it was new, there was that. But saying I am nudist is saying sensibly what I am. So yes, I could say that means I am naturist, though I don't use that term for myself now. In America, some of us still use the term nudist for ourselves.
baresoul
Native Resident

Re: Well, yes, you could say, but there's still this

Postby jochanaan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Although there is a slight difference in emphasis between "nudist" and "naturist," many of us use the words interchangeably. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby baresoul » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:00 pm

jochanaan wrote:Although there is a slight difference in emphasis between "nudist" and "naturist," many of us use the words interchangeably. 8)

I can very much tolerate that. But after using the term "naturist" early on, with the attraction of it being a newer word in this country, when I started with it anyway, and hearing it pushed with the arguments not to use "nudist" from one nationwide society organized with that name used, I had more to think for it over time, and became convinced that "nudist" for the term used from the beginning among those of the early movement had nothing inherently wrong with it, it is accurately the description of the practice without any euphemism being used. Practitioners can own their term, instead of letting others who are not the real practitioners steal it from them. I don't think any other movement would put up with that, I am sure we don't have to. So I for one will keep using the word "nudist", with it meaning that which it was meaning from the beginning. And to be sure, I am into natural living anyway, and as much into nature. But that doesn't inform others I would live nude as far as I see I can, but saying I am nudist would.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 am

baresoul wrote:
jochanaan wrote:Although there is a slight difference in emphasis between "nudist" and "naturist," many of us use the words interchangeably. 8)

I can very much tolerate that. But after using the term "naturist" early on, with the attraction of it being a newer word in this country, when I started with it anyway, and hearing it pushed with the arguments not to use "nudist" from one nationwide society organized with that name used, I had more to think for it over time, and became convinced that "nudist" for the term used from the beginning among those of the early movement had nothing inherently wrong with it, it is accurately the description of the practice without any euphemism being used. Practitioners can own their term, instead of letting others who are not the real practitioners steal it from them. I don't think any other movement would put up with that, I am sure we don't have to. So I for one will keep using the word "nudist", with it meaning that which it was meaning from the beginning. And to be sure, I am into natural living anyway, and as much into nature. But that doesn't inform others I would live nude as far as I see I can, but saying I am nudist would.
:like:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby balaam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:45 pm

To me:

Naturist : someone who believes that living without clothing is the best lifestyle.

Nudist : someone who enjoys being naked.

I think that's how it is understood here in the UK, not sure if that is the worldwide understanding.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby webmeister » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

baresoul wrote:

Agreed baresoul, in the early years I was almost afraid to say I was a nudist (like to the wife :) ) due to connotations I had but I am growing to accept it. At the time "naturist" seemed less crazy, and to some...less sexual. As of late though I am growing to accept that calling myself a nudist is an OK thing. It does not have to have bad connotations especially if we can demonstrate to others.

When we say "naturist" we have to explain things, if we say nudist that says it all LOL. People can ask more if they wish. So if I was to label myself, I would say I am a Christian Nudist that enjoys being naked and especially in the outdoors in nature whenever possible :D
Live - Love - Laugh
Have Fun!
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby dv8 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 pm

balaam wrote:...
Naturist : someone who believes that living without clothing is the best lifestyle.

Nudist : someone who enjoys being naked....
:like: This is my take on it exactly. When I spoke with my pastor, I used the term "naturist" first, and then upon learning she didn't know the term I defined a naturist as an "ethical, Christian nudist." And words do matter; our listener's impressions are affected by our word choice. That is why I avoid using just the term "nudist" if I don't know how the person will react; they MAY well have negative connotations for the term, linking it with a sexually-charged lifestyle.
dv8
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:46 am

dv8 wrote:... "ethical, Christian nudist." ...
I like that, I think I'll steal it. I was always a plagiarist :P
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 am

My for what it may be worth: nudist / naturist are for the outside and the theorists. I am a guy who has always been happier with less and ideally no clothing.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby dv8 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:11 am

balaam wrote:
dv8 wrote:... "ethical, Christian nudist." ...
I like that, I think I'll steal it. I was always a plagiarist :P
Does it double the sin if the thing you steal was a stolen thing already? I purloined the "ethical naturist" part from Stéphane Deschênes of Bare Oaks, and slid "Christian" in to personalize it.
Petros wrote:My for what it may be worth: nudist / naturist are for the outside and the theorists. I am a guy who has always been happier with less and ideally no clothing.
You are welcome to ignore the box that is built around you, but that doesn't negate its existence.
dv8
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 am

I don't like the term nudist, but sometimes it is the easiest most familiar term to use in the United States.
Most of the time, it is for my own benefit; I bat these terms around inside my head to remember what is most important as I plan the month, the year.

Those who wear clothes when they don't need them are the ones who feel the need to focus on the fact of my nudity (and yours).

I don't object to being called a nudist, I just don't expend much energy promoting the term.
My focus is on comfort, a sense of being connected to the natural world, unimpaired input from all 5 senses, including touch.
That's why naturism comes closer than nudism in describing my world view.

Nudity (in favorable conditions) is a consequence, a natural development of my world view, not a cause.
But there may be a positive feedback loop.
My nude time in nature, reinforces my beliefs, reminds me of what matters most.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am

I am prelapsarian. How's that? But I do like Petros' view.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:58 pm

I prefer "Naturist" as my own designation.
1. I think it far better reflects how my nudism manifests in that I much prefer to practice in a "Nature" setting.
2. Here in the U.S. not so many people recognize it as would recognize "Nudist". Accordingly, I escape many of the false stereotypes that people may have. I recall the quote, "It ain't what people don't know what hurts em' so much as what they do know that ain't so !!!

If asked what designation I would use for my conduct in matters of clothing, I by far prefer the term "CHRISTIAN Naturist", because most people find that to be an oxymoron or non sequitur and it gives them enough pause and curiosity that I get a chance to offer a correct explanation.
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

And I do prefer being natural. The natural world is meant for us. But by far the most among us are in rebellion to this, actually, and value more manmade provisions for us, as what is found and what is available in cities of civilization. The way meant for us, with much of the natural world, is best enjoyed with nudism connected with that, and not wearing things where it is, and when it is, warm enough not to need such things.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:16 am

[quote="baresoul"]And I do prefer being natural. The natural world is meant for us. But by far the most among us are in rebellion to this, actually, and value more manmade provisions for us, as what is found and what is available in cities of civilization. The way meant for us, with much of the natural world, is best enjoyed with nudism connected with that, and not wearing things where it is, and when it is, warm enough not to need such things.[/quote}

The Machine Stops was written a little over a century ago as science fiction, but today, far less of the content of this short story remains fictional.
Read it online if you will, but for those who don't read it in full, my point is that the story speaks of a time when mankind has utterly rejected the outdoors and has largely lost the ability to even survive outdoors.

My favorite quote, " I felt that humanity existed, and that it existed without clothes. How can I possibly explain this? It was naked, humanity seemed naked, and all these tubes and buttons and machineries neither came into the world with us, nor will they follow us out, nor do they matter supremely while we are here. Had I been strong, I would have torn off every garment I had, and gone out into the outer air unswaddled".
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Next

Return to Are you a naturist?