Well, yes, you could say, but there's still this

Are you just curious about nudism / naturism? A new naturist? Been one a long time? You can tell us how & why you got started. Just a sentence or a paragraph is enough. You're not ready for naturism yet? That's OK, you can even say so here. New Comers please post here. ALL NUDIST COMMENTS WELCOME HERE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Well, yes, you could say, but there's still this

Postby balaam » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Where I live at this time of year survival out of doors depends on wearing not only clothing, but layers of the same.

I like to wear as little as possible, but that 'little' can be substantial. Eagerly awaiting late May. No guaranteed warmth enough for being naked outside even then.
Last edited by balaam on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:48 pm

balaam wrote:Where I live at this time of year survival out of diirs depends on wearing not only clothing, but layers of the same.

I like to wear as little as possible, but that 'little' can be substantial. Eagerly awaiting late May. No guaranteed warmth enough for being naked outside even then.

Being outdoors is so invigorating that i will sometimes venture out totally naked,but for a pair of sandals, at 50 degrees F if the air is still.
And I bundle up for a walk on a frosty morning and shed some clothes as the sun climbs higher and the exertion raises my core temperature.

i have seen many English homes built with a sun room on the south-facing side, a cheerful setting for basking with a cup of coffee amongst potted summer plants.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 pm

naturaldon wrote:I am prelapsarian. How's that? But I do like Petros' view.

I got one... image bare-er.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Ramblinman wrote:The Machine Stops was written a little over a century ago as science fiction, but today, far less of the content of this short story remains fictional.
Read it online if you will, but for those who don't read it in full, my point is that the story speaks of a time when mankind has utterly rejected the outdoors and has largely lost the ability to even survive outdoors.

My favorite quote, " I felt that humanity existed, and that it existed without clothes. How can I possibly explain this? It was naked, humanity seemed naked, and all these tubes and buttons and machineries neither came into the world with us, nor will they follow us out, nor do they matter supremely while we are here. Had I been strong, I would have torn off every garment I had, and gone out into the outer air unswaddled".

I just read The Machine Stops and enjoyed it. It also had some elements akin to Ayn Rand's Anthem, Huxley's Brave New World, and, of course, Orwell's 1984.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:16 am

The Machine Stops is one of the oldest pieces. I don't think of it much these days, but it has power and insight. Indeed, our couch connected life these days is moving closer to that vision.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 am

Petros wrote:The Machine Stops is one of the oldest pieces. I don't think of it much these days, but it has power and insight. Indeed, our couch connected life these days is moving closer to that vision.

Indeed! It precedes the works Maverick mentioned:
Anthem was written in 1937 and first published in 1938 in England.
Brave New World was written in 1931 and published in 1932.
Nineteen Eighty-Four was published in 1949
The Machine Stops" initial publication in The Oxford and Cambridge Review (November 1909)
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:09 am

Ramblinman wrote:
balaam wrote:Where I live at this time of year survival out of diirs depends on wearing not only clothing, but layers of the same.

Being outdoors is so invigorating that i will sometimes venture out totally naked,but for a pair of sandals, at 50 degrees F if the air is still.
50 degrees F is warm. I would venture outside naked for short periods down to about 40 degrees. My Gallery pictures were taken at about that temperature. I have not measured today's temperature, but the local duck pond is frozen.

The Machine Stops is now on my reading list. For earlier books of this kind there is Erewhon by Samuel Butler published in 1872. The great-granddaddy of this type of fiction. (The title is taken from Nowhere and almost spelt backwards).

{edit to add} Gulliver's Travels predates Erewhon by 150 years.{/edit}
balaam
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:41 pm

balaam wrote:Where I live at this time of year survival out of doors depends on wearing not only clothing, but layers of the same.

Ramblinman wrote:Being outdoors is so invigorating that i will sometimes venture out totally naked,but for a pair of sandals, at 50 degrees F if the air is still.
And I bundle up for a walk on a frosty morning and shed some clothes as the sun climbs higher and the exertion raises my core temperature.
i have seen many English homes built with a sun room on the south-facing side, a cheerful setting for basking with a cup of coffee amongst potted summer plants.

I am one needing to bundle up for colder weather, to the extent it is needed. I still don't use underwear then. Being nude will be for when it feels warm enough. And for my health, I now need to really avoid catching colds. But I will stay barefoot as long as I might, footwear is the last thing I would want to put on.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:07 am

Ramblinman wrote:i have seen many English homes built with a sun room on the south-facing side, a cheerful setting for basking with a cup of coffee amongst potted summer plants.
Ah the conservatory. We live in a conservation area so we are not allowed to do that.

Also put on the west to catch the setting sun, or even on the North for artists who want lots of light but no direct sunlight. In English homes it is more likely to be a cup of tea rather than coffee.

Is this the sort of thing you were talking about?
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:37 am

That might be one of the places I lived in London. In one it had been remodelled onto a bathroom - the loo was elswhere - and a kitchen.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:09 am

balaam wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:i have seen many English homes built with a sun room on the south-facing side, a cheerful setting for basking with a cup of coffee amongst potted summer plants.
Ah the conservatory. We live in a conservation area so we are not allowed to do that.

Also put on the west to catch the setting sun, or even on the North for artists who want lots of light but no direct sunlight. In English homes it is more likely to be a cup of tea rather than coffee.

Is this the sort of thing you were talking about?

Yes, a guest house in Dover, UK had a sunny space almost exactly like that and I have seen quite a few like it across the country. Some detached with a tomato or two inside, some attached and one could walk right out the door into this green and sunlit room. It is cheaper to have one of these than going to the Algarve or some distant Greek Isle. But there isn't much warmth unless the clouds part long enough to reveal the sun.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:53 pm

My grandparents in Florida had a conservatory (I guess here in the States we call them sun rooms) added on to their old house. I wish more houses had them.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Maverick wrote:I wish more houses had them.

...with one way windows. :)
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:09 pm

I see nudist as having a much broader coverage. One could call themself nudist who go aroung nude soliciting sex partners. But one who is a pure nudist might have an opposite lifestyle, totally against and violently opposed to the liberal sex version.

As for sun rooms, the cheap version using greenhouse poly would be opaque enough to never be seen through it, the more expensive and much longer lasting poly carbonate panels are much clearer but still pretty distorting to see through. Glass is clear sight, but also lower on total light transmission. With the materials avalible i would pick twin wall poly carbonate panels as best choice. 4 year greenhouse poly if the budget is weak. It will last up to 10 years if well supported and not stressed. Or if close to public and desire better concealment, the greenhose poly works better. Only forms visible through it, no details. One could have tan colored shorts handy to slip on, and if someone saw you naked through the poly, and you slipped on the shorts before they saw you direct, theyd not know the difference, especially 2 layers on outside and inside frame, which is usually used for insulation.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm

DaveT wrote:I see nudist as having a much broader coverage. One could call themself nudist who go aroung nude soliciting sex partners. But one who is a pure nudist might have an opposite lifestyle, totally against and violently opposed to the liberal sex version.

Dave, I could call myself a green sea turtle all day long and it would not be any closer to the truth at sunset than it was at dawn.
I know that some nudists have not had the soul-changing baptism with the Holy Spirit that is promised to those who call upon Jesus for salvation.
But whatever failings you might find among individuals at a nudist camp, these camps have rules that create a social climate similar to a church picnic.
Swinging and lewd public behavior is a nasty reality among some people at some clubs, but those who perpetrate it are living in violation of the principles of nudist society.
By the grace of God, I have met pastors, lay leaders and other fine Christian folk at nudist camps and they have nothing to be ashamed of.

DaveT wrote:As for sun rooms, the cheap version using greenhouse poly would be opaque enough to never be seen through it, the more expensive and much longer lasting poly carbonate panels are much clearer but still pretty distorting to see through. Glass is clear sight, but also lower on total light transmission. With the materials avalible i would pick twin wall poly carbonate panels as best choice. 4 year greenhouse poly if the budget is weak. It will last up to 10 years if well supported and not stressed. Or if close to public and desire better concealment, the greenhose poly works better. Only forms visible through it, no details. One could have tan colored shorts handy to slip on, and if someone saw you naked through the poly, and you slipped on the shorts before they saw you direct, theyd not know the difference, especially 2 layers on outside and inside frame, which is usually used for insulation.

If your greenhouse or sunroom is visible to your neighbors, you may well want the more opaque materials. But I suggest that it is far better to plant shrubs or erect fences and let that sun come in and do its good work of warming your space through clear glass. I used milky-looking polycarbonate on the side of my greenhouse visible to the neighbors and the rest of the walls are clear.

I have frequently heard these attachments referred to as "Florida rooms". I can't afford to go to Florida every time the north wind blows, but I can go to my Florida Room any day!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Are you a naturist?