A gentle reminder

This forum is for the purpose of the webmaster and site administrator informing the membership of situations pertaining to the site. Replies are not allowed here. Responses may be directed to either the webmaster or site administrator via PM or email.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A gentle reminder

Postby Webmaster » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:33 pm

I always hate to make posts like this, but from time to time I need to.

As some of you may have noticed, the site was down for a few days. There's two reasons for that: First is that I wasn't notified of the renewal payment being due like I have been in the past. Secondly is that I had to wait to get the funds needed to renew it.

On average the cost of keeping this site up and running is $300 a year. That includes the server hosting, domain registration, and software upgrades. None of the staff members, including myself, are paid a dime for the wok they do. Each one volunteers their time to moderating the site and doing the "behind the scenes" work. If it was possible I would arrange for them all to be paid, but right now it's not.

In the past there have been posts made about helping with the costs for keeping the site up and running, but very few people have been able to help.

I don't want to brag, far from it. I've been paying for the costs of the site from the first day it went online. I knew that it would be for a short time, but it's been five years. And I still haven't been able to pay Root for the cost of hosting the site now. I need to do that, and it's pressing on my mind.

I've been giving serious consideration to placing ads on the site, but I really don't want to do that. I would rather keep the site ad free, but my options are limited. The only other option is to start charging a monthly charge for access to the site, but then how would we reach anybody doing that?

I'm asking for anybody that can donate any amount, no matter how small, to send me a PM for where to send it. I hate to say this but I can't afford to keep paying for the site on my own.
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
Webmaster
Councillor

Re: A gentle reminder

Postby jimmy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi Webmaster,

I sent you a PM but it is stuck in the outbox.

Jimmy
jimmy
Councillor

Return to Announcements