A discovery today

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A discovery today

Postby Maverick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:48 pm

First, I will preface today's discovery with a discovery I made at the start of this semester. Since I've been swimming (class) and learning scuba (another class), I've noticed my body become less sensitive to heat. I speculate that being in the ~85 Fahrenheit water, which may be colder on certain days, saps my body heat via conduction. When stationary or moving only slightly, such as when practicing scuba skills completely underwater, I can feel the heat loss after ten or fifteen minutes, and I'll begin to shiver. When swimming, this is not so much of a problem, but I still notice the heat loss. I've driven home in the mid-afternoon with temps in the 90s with my car windows rolled up, completely comfortable with no A/C--if that says anything!

I'll also note that I have Raynaud's phenomenon (it's not a disease!), which means my circulation to my extremities (fingers and toes in my case) is hindered, and this usually flares up in the winter. So, any heat loss from conduction is likely enhanced by this.

Anyway, on to today's discovery. I shower off after every swim and spray down with a can of SwimSpray, which is essentially water and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), to counteract the effects of chlorine on my hair and skin. (It works pretty well, by the way.) Yesterday we had a high of 94 F and then woke up this morning to temps in the low 50s. When I finished showering and spraying off, I stepped outside into the 55 F weather with a 10mph wind and felt fine despite the slight chill (I was wearing a cotton shirt and shorts and my hair was still damp). I walked to my car to switch out my gym bag with my backpack and then trekked for 10 minutes across campus for my next class, and felt great the whole time. My whole body stayed warm, including my hands, which are usually the first to get cold--and quickly.

While the professor was teaching stuff I already knew ( ;) ), I wondered what could have helped me retain my body temperature like I did, so I did some searching. Turns out, there is research showing that Vitamin C improves the body's heat retention in cool/cold temps and heat reduction in hot temps. So, I think SwimSpray helped me stay warm--more so than the hot shower did!

As the weather continues to cool (hopefully), I'll observe and experiment more, but I think there's something to be said about Vitamin C and body heat. I share this because I love being naked year-round but winter temps, even in Texas, force me to wear more than I'd like. If a super-dose of Vitamin C can help others with similar problems, I'd be interested to know.

Also, learned this today: we typically think of oranges when we think of Vitamin C (at least I do), but fruits like strawberries and mangoes contain more C in an equal serving size. A great excuse for me to eat more mangoes!
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: A discovery today

Postby nakedpreacher » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Good news for you living in the South West, Jalapeños have high levels of vitamin C. BTW People in the South East have no clue what so ever about the proper use of Jalapeños. :D
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Vitamin C is found in numerous fruits and veggies, as most of us know. It is also found in rose hips, the firm bulb that supports the flower's petals, and in fact, is in very high amounts there. One or two minced into a salad will supply most, if not all, of a normal daily dose, if used fresh. Hips were also an important source of vC for WWII soldiers. When I'm outdoors, I munch on a few wild rose hips, which are a lot smaller but still packed with vC. I'm very temperature-tolerant, in either highs or lows (but I also condition myself for weather extremes). Today, we had a high of 49. I'm running around in gym shorts at home and outside, barefoot at that. Feels good, but I also ate a very nice orange pepper for lunch, which is likewise high in vitamin C.. Maybe there is something to it!
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:39 am

Maverick, your post reminded me of Wim Hof. He is also known as the Ice Man. He trains people for cold exposure: https://www.wimhofmethod.com/
I have read a couple of interviews and am planning on purchasing his book in the near future.
RMOlson
Permanent Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:Good news for you living in the South West, Jalapeños have high levels of vitamin C. BTW People in the South East have no clue what so ever about the proper use of Jalapeños. :D

Now you're making me hungry. :D

naturaldon wrote:Vitamin C is found in numerous fruits and veggies, as most of us know. It is also found in rose hips, the firm bulb that supports the flower's petals, and in fact, is in very high amounts there. One or two minced into a salad will supply most, if not all, of a normal daily dose, if used fresh. Hips were also an important source of vC for WWII soldiers. When I'm outdoors, I munch on a few wild rose hips, which are a lot smaller but still packed with vC. I'm very temperature-tolerant, in either highs or lows (but I also condition myself for weather extremes). Today, we had a high of 49. I'm running around in gym shorts at home and outside, barefoot at that. Feels good, but I also ate a very nice orange pepper for lunch, which is likewise high in vitamin C.. Maybe there is something to it!

I will check out rose hips. Orange peppers are really good, too.

Now I really am hungry. :lol:

RMOlson wrote:Maverick, your post reminded me of Wim Hof. He is also known as the Ice Man. He trains people for cold exposure: https://www.wimhofmethod.com/
I have read a couple of interviews and am planning on purchasing his book in the near future.

Thanks, Randy, I will check him out. I think I've heard of him before, not sure. I've heard of monks who sit under ice-cold waterfalls and meditate, though. (Not that I advocate either.)

EDIT: Randy, I'm pretty sure my boss's son has one of Hof's books. I'll see about borrowing it. :)

Now it really is time to go grab some C for lunch!
Maverick
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues