Signs of skin cancer

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Signs of skin cancer

Postby naturaldon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:14 am

I'm no pro on this subject but I did read an interesting article on "11 Signs It's Skin Cancer." (https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health ... ailsignout[/).

Interestingly, #8 reads like this:

8. Exposure to HPV.
This one took us by surprise. Genitals - that normally don't see daylight unless, you know, you're chilling at a nude beach - with the virus can also develop squamous cells
and lead to skin cancer.

As I see it, chilling nude at the beach might lead to skin cancer but now chilling nude at the beach might be better than previously thought. Of course, we all know the latter to be true (properly screened up and otherwise shielded from the sun, of one has reason to be concerned).

Cool thing though. Near here (actually, on the SW side of Topeka, KS) is a naturist area. Once or more a summer they have a dermatologist visit the place and give free screenings.

Just some thoughts on this subject, which I'm sure we (here) all think about.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Re: Signs of skin cancer

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Having a dermatologist give screenings is like looking for a horse when the fence is down.
Not that it isn't helpful, but why let things get to that point?

Caucasians are now living at latitudes closer to the equator than their skins are adapted for.
The only way around that is to stay out of the sun when it is higher in the sky than your European homeland.
I have diverse ancestry, but my skin type approximates the sum total of all my ancestors
I have met people from central France, central Switzerland, Austria etc. who match my coloring.
So that is about 47 degrees north latitude in places with sunny summers and my family tree confirms this approximation.
I live at 34 degrees latitude.
So, the sun is 13 degrees higher in the sky than this hypothetical homeland.
I haven't done any precise measurements, but there is a period on either side of noon, when I would be exposing my body to intensity of sunlight that I am probably not equipped to handle.
But if you keep this exposure brief, the UV-B radiation can provide you with all the vitamin D precursor you need (in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes two or three times a week).
That is WAY LESS midday sun than most nudists get.
That doesn't mean that I am going to bask in the sun every single day from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm. That would probably be too much as well.
If you don't use sunscreen, your body will begin to redden. If you can stop sunning before that happens, you cut your risk of some skin cancers considerably.
I am NOT recommending sunscreen. Slight redness is a helpful warning that sunscreen masks. Besides most sunscreens can cause cancer.
Sunblock is a good alternative. It uses mechanical means rather than photochemical means of blocking sunlight.
In primitive settings, even mud, ash or clay would serve as a sunblock. (or dense shade!)

Dr. Mercola recommends making your vitamin D at midday, but keeping midday exposure brief, just a few minutes.
If you are a real outdoorsman and need a tan, then tan before 10:00 am or after 3:00 pm.
Some folks can't get a tan anyway and should try to make their D from diet.
We all know of people with platinum blonde or red hair (and a few brunettes) who simply turn bright red at the slightest provocation.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:08 pm

I'll just add this to the discussion: maybe it's genetics, I don't know, but my mom has told me that when she was a little girl that she could play for hours outside without sunscreen or sunblock. She has darker skin (American Indian ancestry on her dad's side) than I do, but wears sunscreen when outside for extended periods now because her skin burns. I wonder if the atmosphere has changed in such a way that even people with darker skin burn easier at the present (i.e. more UV-B rays are getting through the ozone layer)?
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 am

Some of African descent are finding that they burn very easily. May that be a hint :?: :areyouthere?:
God Bless.

"You are the garment which covers our nakedness, and in our hunger you are a satisfying food, for you are sweetness and in you there is no taste of bitterness, O triune God!"
Catherine of Siena
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Ozone levels close the Earth's surface are high in urban areas, not good for the lungs and the stuff blocks too much UV radiation.
We have ozone near the ground due to internal combustion engines and factories.
But planet-wide, ozone at high altitude has been diminished by certain man-made products such as freon.
At high altitude, ozone does NOT hurt our lungs and helps protect the planet from excess UV radiation.
Ozone is created naturally by solar radiation on oxygen molecules, but destroyed by other natural processes.
In the past, there has been a balance between creation and destruction of ozone.
If we stop producing ozone-destroying products, ozone may someday return to balance.

Photosensitivity of one's skin can come from a variety of causes. Certain drugs or even old age can affect our ability to tan rather than burn.
Likewise, certain nutritional supplements such as Astaxanthin can help our skin heal faster after sun exposure.

All of us should be getting folate in our diet, particularly because of its ability to help repair connective tissue and restore fertility in men.
For all its benefits, sunlight in sufficient doses has a negative impact on fertility and connective tissue.
Folate is found in leafy greens and some vegetables and of course in pill form.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues