Body Acceptance vs Encouraging Fitness

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Body Acceptance vs Encouraging Fitness

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:37 pm

This topic was raised elsewhere and deserves a spot of its own.
In researching the history of nudism, one will see that it began as a health movement with nudity as merely one facet of that movement, albeit an important one.
Physical fitness was actively encouraged through recreation and exercise programs at nudist camps throughout Europe.
When nudism reached the United States early in the previous century, the emphasis on healthy diet and regular exercise continued.
Exposing skin to the healing influence of fresh air and allowing 100% of our skin to manufacture vitamin D (in moderation of course) was also promoted.

Fast forward to some nudist venues today and we see a subtle or not-so-subtle shift toward self-indulgence:
smoking, alcohol, lounging on cots and eating rich foods to the point of obesity are common.
To a large extent the individual nudist is responsible for his own behavior, but nudist resort and campground owners are in a position of leadership, at least potentially,
yet they have largely failed to encourage good health as nudist venues once did.

Body acceptance is a sensitive issue, but here's how one local pastor provided guidance:
"God loves you just the way you are today...
But much too much to let you stay that way!"

This was used in a spiritual context, but really it could apply to any aspect of personal growth.

We should welcome people from every level of fitness and certainly not condemn, nag or scold them.
But gentle encouragement in the form of formal programs as well as casual conversation should create a more health-conscious environment.
My favorite campground has a little grill, but it sells fried burgers on white bread buns, greasy french fries and sugary colas to wash it all down.
Where are the organic raw foods? The vegan recipes? Tofu? Tempeh, sprouts, raw vegetable snacks, fruit smoothies and juice blends? What happened to the fresh berries that are so common in summer?
Yoga, Tai Chi, Qi Gong, and meditation are largely missing at many places I visit.

On the positive side I still see a lot of sports at many venues, and diverse enough to allow participation at a wide variety of points of entry.
Some sports are so intense that they are probably only for the super-fit and young, others are gentle enough that anyone capable of putting one foot in front of the other could participate.
We have a weight room, but it doesn't get nearly as much use as one might think.

Those are my observations...
I would welcome dialog on the subject!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Re: Body Acceptance vs Encouraging Fitness

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 pm

I, unfortunately, am overweight to the point of being classified obese so my body is not Adonis-like (my wife has reminded me time and again my nakedness is not attractive. Of course, she is not nudist friendly) but I appreciate fellow nudists will accept my right to go nude. I do think we all should strive to be healthier and fit which, in turn, would make us more visually appealing to onlookers. I don’t really have opportunities to socialize with other nudists but know I’d be viewed in a better light if I were more fit, not overweight and out of shape. I do not mean to condemn nor judge anyone but, using myself as an example, I certainly encourage all nudists to strive to return to the health intensive benefits of the nudist/Naturist movement.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I do not mind what your body looks like; although I have to say I have seen sights on some naturist beaches that put me right off my lunch! That is because the bodies concerned are simply not healthy ones; 25st (280lb) is not a good weight for anyone unless they are professional strongpersons. It's fine for me to accept you as you are but if you are out of condition or your health is threatened by your bodyweight, it is, I think, reasonable to ask what are the reasons behind that. Obesity is increasing, we are generally less active than my parent's generation, work is less physical & we are necking vast quatities of unhealthy food. There can only be one result... tum, tum, tum, tuuuum! In the western world there are fewer & fewer people who can see their toes when standing up by simply inclining their heads downwards.

Christians have been as guilty of this as everyone else; we, who should be setting an example in this as well as is more profound matters, have messed up & are messing up along with everyone else. Paul tells Timothy '... physical exercise has some value but spiritual exercise has value in every way...' (1 Tim. 4: 8-10) but what Christians often hear is that physical exercise has no value when it patently does have value. The upshot of this is some Christians will be dieing younger or suffering ill health thus rendering them less able, or even utterly unable in the case of the dead, to continue or finish the good works God has already prepared for them/us to do. Paul tells us (1 Cor. 6:19) our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit. Personally, I'm not sure that having to shore up that temple because is been allowed to dilapidate, is God's good, pleasing & perfect will for His creatures made in His own image.

Ramblingman is right about the place of fitness & health in the history of naturism; a foundation that is crumbling under the amount of lard being heaped upon it. I wonder if, as naturists & Christians, we have a greater responsibility, a double helping if you will, to foster concepts of health & well being, clothed & unclothed?

So, to return to the point of the post; yes, I will accept you, no matter what you look like but I will also encourage by my personal example (I'm in my early 60's & my chest measurement still exceeds that of my waist, this is the result of effort because I can grow lard easily) that to enjoy your life to the fullest, to revel in the abundance that Jesus offers, you might need to start some form of exercise; part of which may involve reducing your food intake & its sources. Basically, yes to both concepts because they are not mutually exclusive.
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:I, unfortunately, am overweight to the point of being classified obese so my body is not Adonis-like (my wife has reminded me time and again my nakedness is not attractive. Of course, she is not nudist friendly) but I appreciate fellow nudists will accept my right to go nude. I do think we all should strive to be healthier and fit which, in turn, would make us more visually appealing to onlookers. I don’t really have opportunities to socialize with other nudists but know I’d be viewed in a better light if I were more fit, not overweight and out of shape. I do not mean to condemn nor judge anyone but, using myself as an example, I certainly encourage all nudists to strive to return to the health intensive benefits of the nudist/Naturist movement.

Jim

Jim, I am middle-aged and noticed right away that I cannot eat the same food I ate at 20 and get the same results without a corresponding increase in activity.
And frankly the food I ate at 20 was too rich for anyone, young or old.

It's all about motivation. Criticism from one's family is not helpful, however well-intended it may be.
Your motivation should be health, to be there as long as possible for your grandchildren and any other young people in your family.
They need your wisdom and you will find life more fun with the best health possible.
Will fitness make you trim? Probably, but that's a side benefit.

I am not at my fitness goal. I got soft over the winter and need to regain some ground I lost. Let's get back to better eating and more activity!
We are all in this together!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Englishman, as Christians and naturists we should try our best to set a good example, you are correct.
We have our share of obstacles to fitness as time goes by, but I have seen some inspiring photos online.

This guy is not letting age rob him of his joy and vitality!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:40 pm

My take on it:

God gave you your body for a reason. There's probably something you don't like about it that you can't fix. Realize that you are made in His image, fearfully and wonderfully (and I think there is a literal, visual resemblance).

Yet:

Fix what's fixable and do "preventative maintenance" to prevent what can be prevented.

As Christian naturists, I think we should encourage all people to be comfortable in their skin, something that clothesfreedom permits by virtue.

Nothing wrong with a little natural fat if you're an endomorph or lack thereof if you're an ectomorph.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 pm

Maverick wrote:My take on it:

God gave you your body for a reason. There's probably something you don't like about it that you can't fix. Realize that you are made in His image, fearfully and wonderfully (and I think there is a literal, visual resemblance).

Yet:

Fix what's fixable and do "preventative maintenance" to prevent what can be prevented.

As Christian naturists, I think we should encourage all people to be comfortable in their skin, something that clothesfreedom permits by virtue.

Nothing wrong with a little natural fat if you're an endomorph or lack thereof if you're an ectomorph.

Maverick,

I cannot fully undo the effect of age, but a lot of what people call old age can be delayed or even reversed.
I owe it to my family, my God and myself to "Be all that I can be" (with due credit to the US Army for the slogan).
On the local jogging trail are some tall lean young runners with phenomenal speed.
I do not compare myself to them.
I compare myself to how I did last week and the week before.
I take note of the extra energy I feel as I go about my work day thanks to the investment in exercise and wise choices at the dinner table.
It is worth it to make the most of what God gave me. I am not discouraged by the fact that I have not yet reached my potential.

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Hebrews 12:1
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I think that we are seeing the difference between "naturism" and "nudism".

I believe that TRUE "naturism" is still focused on living healthy, "naturally" (as God designed and intended us to live), only a part of which involves exposing the entire body to natural sunlight, air and water, whereas "Nudism" is mostly just about being naked.

That is why I prefer to refer to myself as a "naturist" rather than a mere "nudist".

Constantly smoking, (excessive) drinking, gluttony, slothfulness etc. have no place in the life of a true "naturist".
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 pm

natman wrote:I think that we are seeing the difference between "naturism" and "nudism".

I believe that TRUE "naturism" is still focused on living healthy, "naturally" (as God designed and intended us to live), only a part of which involves exposing the entire body to natural sunlight, air and water, whereas "Nudism" is mostly just about being naked.

That is why I prefer to refer to myself as a "naturist" rather than a mere "nudist".

As I said on another topic, I have mixed feelings. I do not want to associate with the Naturist Society, but "naturist" describes my worldview far better than "nudist".
I am not nude "just because". I am nude because it a natural outcome of my wish to follow the Creator's original design, which did NOT include clothing.
Today, it only got to 48 degrees and the stiff breeze and dark clouds accentuated the chill.
But in a couple of days, warmer weather is coming and clothes will no longer be necessary.
In fact, we will eventually have such heat that clothing will severely interfere with my God-given cooling system (sweaty bare skin) and my Vitamin D production system: sun on bare skin.

natman wrote:Constantly smoking, (excessive) drinking, gluttony, slothfulness etc. have no place in the life of a true "naturist".

I try to teach by example. I certainly don't want to scold people (that rarely goes well).
Certainly many people at my local club are active and drink only moderately or not at all.
But I hate to see ANYONE living a life of self-indulgence and calling it naturism or nudism.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you all, you have inspired me. Tonight I began running again. A combination of this strip and the one on kilts (and my inability to wear my kilt) were enough to kick my butt out of my room and down the road
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:33 am

nakedpreacher wrote:Thank you all, you have inspired me. Tonight I began running again. A combination of this strip and the one on kilts (and my inability to wear my kilt) were enough to kick my butt out of my room and down the road
Naked Preacher

That's great!
There's something about being outdoors that makes you forget that you are exercising.
When I start looking at wildflowers, squirrels and bunnies hopping around, the occasional comely young lass racing past me, well I forget myself and just enjoy the day!
Running, short sprints and long, long jogs are part of God's design for our life.
Obesity, joint disease and aging can affect our ability to carry that design out in full, but for many of us, long walks and even runs will take our health to a higher level.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues