Interesting new study

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Interesting new study

Postby nakedpreacher » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm

I heard on NC a while back about a new study that was coming out soon (back then). I do not know if this is the one. I didn’t look it up but I thought it had to do with the effects of naturism on children, which this one does not. So maybe this is it and maybe not. Still worth a read in my opinion. Not being a statistician I was in the weeds little, maybe one of you can help to explain the statistical stuff (magic math)
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-9846-1
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Re: Interesting new study

Postby Englishman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Well, that was interesting! :) Sorry but I can't help with the psychobabble but I do recall from when a family member roped me to assist in their psychology studies that a lot it has been set up to make the results as 'normal' as possible. Of course, that tends to render it incomprehensible to the uninitiated (me & a few million others).

The general tenor of the study seems to be saying they think naturist activities might be a positive influence on ones life with a number of currently anecdotal benefits. As with most stuff of this ilk there is a call for more research. So, next time you're at a naturist event or beach & a clothed person with a clipboard approaches you, they may not be selling Life Insurance...
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:30 pm

I cannot begin to understand the statistical data but it appears from the comments at the end of this report nudity does NOT have a negative impact overall and, in fact, is growing in acceptance and even participation among society in general. I hope the acceptance and participation will continue to grow so that our lifestyle choice will become more mainstream over time.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:25 am

Ah, reminds me of my college stats class!

I think these are the key takeaways that most of us are interested in:

From Section 8, Discussion:

Naturist activities contain elements that should promote a more positive body image, higher self-esteem and greater life satisfaction; individuals spend time naked in the company of non-intimate others who typically have non-idealised bodies. However, prior research has not investigated these potential positive effects, or elucidated a model explaining them. This gap was addressed in three studies. A large cross-sectional study (Study 1) found that participants who engaged in more naturist activities also reported greater life satisfaction, and that this relationship was mediated by more positive body image and higher self-esteem. This proposed mediated model fit the data better than a reversed model (in which life satisfaction, self-esteem and body image predicted naturism), was not dependent on gender, and applied more strongly to participants who took part in naturist activity less frequently. Among participants who took part in naturist activities, seeing others naked appeared to be a more important predictor of positive body image than being seen naked by others. Furthermore, in 2 prospective studies of real naturist events (Studies 2 and 3), participation in actual naturist activities resulted in immediate improvements in life satisfaction, an effect that was also mediated by improvements in body image and self-esteem.

From Section 9, Concluding Remarks:

Naturism remains unconventional, and is sometimes seen as psychologically or sexually unhealthy, even by mental health professionals (Negy 2004). However, in recent decades, a significant body of research has failed to find negative effects of naturism on either adults or children (Okami 1995). Perhaps unsurprisingly, an increasing number of people are taking part in naturist activities and the focus of some research has shifted toward the potential positive effects of naturism. These current findings add meaningfully to the scant empirical literature on the effects of naturism, and are the first to provide evidence for specific mechanisms behind naturism’s effects. This research should be considered the suggestive beginning of a body of research, rather than a definitive conclusion of one. Nonetheless, it should not only be interesting to those hoping to academically understand the factors affecting our perceptions of our bodies, but also to public health practitioners who may come to see naturism as a cheap, almost universally available means of promoting healthy body-image, positive self-esteem and overall life satisfaction. As more people participate in clothing-optional activities, these potential benefits of naturism are worth exploring.

I think the demographics for Study 1 are interesting:

Eight hundred and forty-nine members of the British public were recruited via word-of-mouth and advertisements posted on various Internet forms to take part in this research. Of these participants, 739 (87%) were male, 94 (11%) were female and 16 (.02%) did not identify their gender or reported a non-binary gender. The mean age was 57.19, with a standard deviation of 12.00. [So approx. 95% of those surveyed fall between 33 and 81.] Ethnically, 831 (98%) identified as White [this could be a "swaying" factor in the study, unless this is representative of the British population at large--and I'm not sure it is], 3 (.4%) as East Asian, 2 (.2%) as South Asian, 0 as Black, and 13 (2%) as “other”; 405 (54%) identified themselves as having no religion, 366 (43%) identified as Christian, 0 identified as Muslim, 74 (9%) identified themselves as “other” and 4 (.5%) declined to identify a religion; 702 (83%) identified as heterosexual, 39 (5%) as gay, 94 (11%) as bi-sexual, and 14 (2%) as “other”.

As are the effects of gender:

This sample has a large ratio of male participants (739) to female participants (94). Furthermore, the men reported more positive body image than did the women [...] It was thus important to verify that the findings applied to women as well as to men. [...] Furthermore, when only female participants were selected, naturist activity continued to significantly predict positive body image.

I wish it would show the correlation between religion and naturism, but I'm sure they have that data somewhere.

Studies 2 and 3 had the participants, well, participate in a naturist/clothing-optional event and then had them surveyed before and after. In both cases, it seems that body image, self-esteem, and life satisfaction all were higher post-naturism than they were pre-naturism. Study 2 is interesting because it was composed of 12 men and 12 women. Study 3 had 100 participants but included 83 men to 16 women (and 1 who did not indicate a gender).

Those are my key takeaways, at least.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 am

That’s kinda what I got too. I was hoping someone would be able to explain the statistical jargon, maybe there is no explaining it, you have learned it or you won’t understand it at all, I’m pretty good with math but when my wife had to take statistics in college, I was totally lost
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 am

nakedpreacher wrote:That’s kinda what I got too. I was hoping someone would be able to explain the statistical jargon, maybe there is no explaining it, you have learned it or you won’t understand it at all, I’m pretty good with math but when my wife had to take statistics in college, I was totally lost

I had undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics in the 1970s, but have not kept up with the field, nor remember near all I learned. Maybe I could help with a specific question. I do not know all the statistical functions reported; they may have even been invented after my courses.

When it says "p=.xx" that's the probability that the result was due to chance. A probability of p=.05 or less (5% chance of a purely chance result) is considered significant. Correlation coefficients range from -1 to 1. 0 means no correlation. the correlations between naturist activities and the other measures in the first study were very low, but positive. Only the correlation between naturist activity and body image were significant (less than 5% probability due to chance). There was not a strong effect measured in the first study.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Thank you Jim, that helps a lot
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues