A good plan for better health,

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: A good plan for better health,

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 am

New_Adventurer wrote:About 18 months ago I had a debate with a die-hard nutritionist about the merits of certain foods. She was adamant that rolled oats (as in Quaker Oats) were bad because they had been processed. She continued that whole or steel-cut oat were perfectly fine. I pressed her as to why. What did a mechanical process do to affect their nutritional qualities. She didn’t really have a good reason other than rolled oats are processed whereas cut oats are fine. Sounded like it was more prejudicial than factual. At this point all I can say for certain is that rolled oats cook a lot faster than cut or whole oats.

Does the rolling heat the oats much? Higher temperatures degrade some nutrients.

I like the texture of the steel-cut oats better, but yes, you do have to put them on the stove a half-hour ahead of time; just takes a little thought about breakfast 30 minutes before you plan to eat.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby OzTech » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:39 am

Er... so what does the Bible say about eating meat?

Seems to me that God has supported the idea e.g. the Passover Lamb. I just have my suspicions about the the whole Vegetarian/Vegan thing. Seems to me a very Eastern Mysticism thing... like as the Hindu religion where they don't eat meat because, with re-incarnation, they could be eating their brother, mother or second cousin etc come back as a chicken, a fish or some other critter.

I use to work with a vegetarian. One day we were sent out to another site to repair some equipment. I told him to grab the tool kit while I took the spare panel. He reached down, grabbed the handle and tried to follow me... the tool kit remained on the floor... he was not able to lift the thing. I gave him the spare panel and took the tool kit myself. A friend in Church, years ago, migrated from Ireland to Australia. He showed me a picture of himself when he arrived here and he was the runt of the litter. His diet lacked a lot of protein before he got here but when he started work on a Station up near Deniliquin they fed him up on beef and lamb so he was, after a year or so, able to do the heavy work required on that farm.

There use to be an advertisement on our TVs with the line "Feed the man meat!" It might be less ideal,in some cases, if they pump the animal full of antibiotics and other things to make them healthier or bigger etc but I still reckon that there is valid justification for including meat and fish on the menu along with the other sources of nutrition.
If all else fails.... read the instructions
OzTech
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:13 am

Great question and observations OzTech. The Bible does say Jesus led a multitude with loaves of bread and fishes so, at least, fish is not a prohibition. Additionally, Jesus told some of his disciples to "follow me and I will make you fishers of men," not gatherers of men.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:36 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:Great question and observations OzTech. The Bible does say Jesus led a multitude with loaves of bread and fishes so, at least, fish is not a prohibition. Additionally, Jesus told some of his disciples to "follow me and I will make you fishers of men," not gatherers of men.

It is funny, you all know I am vegan, so though this thread is about the healthiest way we can live with what can be chosen to eat, those of you responding go right to finding what fault you see with veganism. It is not like I turned to being vegan without any of these things thought out. And this exegesis is thought to be good, that it is about merits of catching fish? Really? That is disappointing. Instead of arguing about prohibitions, why not consider a response to the healthiness I brought up?

New_Adventurer wrote:About 18 months ago I had a debate with a die-hard nutritionist about the merits of certain foods. She was adamant that rolled oats (as in Quaker Oats) were bad because they had been processed.

I have turned to having whole grain, among the whole foods that I learned are healthier for us. The available oats we can get are still whole grain, I am not fussy about which oats to have. They are not processed in the sense the doctors mean. Which doctors? The authors of the book I mentioned, and among the doctors in the documentary.

OzTech wrote:Er... so what does the Bible say about eating meat?

Seems to me that God has supported the idea.

You and other responders will see what you know can be seen in the Bible to relate to this. I know about those things too. But you don't see other things that are said in the Bible, which are missed.

I can competently answer the things for being vegan. But this thread is about healthiness. Consider that for responses.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:17 pm

baresoul wrote:I can competently answer the things for being vegan. But this thread is about healthiness. Consider that for responses.

baresoul, I think you may be reading into these responses a little bit too much—and I mean this in the kindest way possible. You've probably been on this site long enough to know that strips deviate from their original topics, for better or worse. As I read these responses, that's exactly what I see: topic deviation.

The main topic is about eating a meatless diet, and I would contend that a discussion about diet, any diet (e.g., vegetarianism, veganism, pescatarianism, paleo, ketogenic), is relevant.

Perhaps to get us back on topic, we can discuss the merits of different diets. (Does lack of a diet count? :lol: )

I for one do not have a "diet," per se. But I do make sure to eat healthy (more fruits and vegetables over carbs, lean meats over fatty ones, etc.). I may eat out once per week, if that.

I realize I'm younger than pretty much everyone else on this forum ( :roll: ), but this "diet" of mine has served me well since high school. Combined with strenuous exercise at least three times per week, I look and feel great. I used to be like the wimpy guy OzTech mentioned in his response. Now I'm slinging a 45 lb. kettlebell around like there's no tomorrow, and loving it! 8)

And I wouldn't change a thing about my diet or my exercise regimen.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:12 pm

bare_soul, I' don't mean to disparage you concerning your dietary choices. DaveT is also, from all indications, a strict vegetarian. Do you consume fish, shellfish, or dairy of any kind? What about eggs? What, in your opinion, is the status of your health? I am a meat eater but do enjoy vegetables as well, along with fresh fruits but I don't think I could ever become a strict vegetarian. I eat some seafoods (certain fish such as salmon, tuna, shark, and scallops, shrimp, lobster, calamari, and fried clam strips) but not as much as I do meats and poultry. I am overweight by approximately 50 pounds and due to the lack of a regular exercise regimen (about to resume going to a gym after about 35-40 years away i'm out of shape and, therefore, not a healthy specimen. It also doesn't help I have a sweet tooth and drink carbonated sodas and not nearly enough water as well Still, overall, I will rate my health as good but needing improvement. I am in the pre-diabetic range but maintaining it according to my latest doctor visit this morning and so don't need to test my blood sugar twice daily as I've been doing. According to him, once every 2-3 days is fine. I do take Metformin and he also placed me on Fortesta to boost my testosterone level about three years ago. Prior, for several years I was on Androgel then testosterone injection which yielded negative side effects in terms of shrinkage of my testicles, which fortunately returned to normal after replacing the injections with Fortesta.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 am

De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum

I prefer not to go too deeply into others' religious minutiae.

Just two reminders:

Design: the bison, the wolf, the aardvark. The catfish, the shark, the clam. The hummingbird, the buzzard, the starling. What is the message to humans?

Definition - what is, how do we recognize, a healthy human (or camel. or dragonfly)?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:37 pm

Maverick wrote:
baresoul wrote:I can competently answer the things for being vegan. But this thread is about healthiness. Consider that for responses.

baresoul, I think you may be reading into these responses a little bit too much—and I mean this in the kindest way possible. You've probably been on this site long enough to know that strips deviate from their original topics, for better or worse. As I read these responses, that's exactly what I see: topic deviation.
The main topic is about eating a meatless diet, and I would contend that a discussion about diet, any diet (e.g., vegetarianism, veganism, pescatarianism, paleo, ketogenic), is relevant.
Perhaps to get us back on topic, we can discuss the merits of different diets. (Does lack of a diet count? :lol: )

I am sure I was not reading more into responses than what was really in responses. This isn't even the only forum I involve myself with. There are others. And topics can drift, just like in conversation, I understand. But these are the responses I showed. See they are saying the Bible says no prohibition to eating meat. Who is arguing contrary in this thread that this is addressing? It has nothing to do with the original post or the topic, and I am the only one talking in this known as a vegan that bringing up "no prohibition to eating meat" in the Bible could be aimed at.

JimShedd112 wrote:The Bible does say Jesus led a multitude with loaves of bread and fishes so, at least, fish is not a prohibition. Additionally, Jesus told some of his disciples to "follow me and I will make you fishers of men," not gatherers of men.

OzTech wrote:Er... so what does the Bible say about eating meat? Seems to me that God has supported the idea.

I can address these which are objections to being vegan. But I am not doing so here, when I posted for this thread that is for showing the healthiest way. And I show that.

And it is unfortunate that I feel the need to use the word diet. It carries connotations I do not intend. It is not a diet for me. It is a lifestyle. To be sure, it works for the healthiest way only with being a lifestyle. Their are not quick results, it is not something to go off of, like it is only to get you to the weight you desire. It has many known health benefits, more than anything else, but it is for those living this way to stay with it for life, for the effectiveness.

And I posted this seeing some talking here about their poor health. This way should be known.

JimShedd112 wrote:bare_soul, I' don't mean to disparage you concerning your dietary choices. DaveT is also, from all indications, a strict vegetarian. Do you consume fish, shellfish, or dairy of any kind? What about eggs? What, in your opinion, is the status of your health? I am a meat eater but do enjoy vegetables as well, along with fresh fruits but I don't think I could ever become a strict vegetarian. I eat some seafoods (certain fish such as salmon, tuna, shark, and scallops, shrimp, lobster, calamari, and fried clam strips) but not as much as I do meats and poultry. I am overweight by approximately 50 pounds and due to the lack of a regular exercise regimen (about to resume going to a gym after about 35-40 years away i'm out of shape and, therefore, not a healthy specimen. It also doesn't help I have a sweet tooth and drink carbonated sodas and not nearly enough water as well Still, overall, I will rate my health as good but needing improvement. I am in the pre-diabetic range but maintaining it according to my latest doctor visit this morning and so don't need to test my blood sugar twice daily as I've been doing. According to him, once every 2-3 days is fine. I do take Metformin and he also placed me on Fortesta to boost my testosterone level about three years ago. Prior, for several years I was on Androgel then testosterone injection which yielded negative side effects in terms of shrinkage of my testicles, which fortunately returned to normal after replacing the injections with Fortesta.

Strict vegetarian was an ambiguous term, which had to be used in earlier times, but it is why the word vegan was made, to indicate clearly any who choose to avoid using or getting any products or items derived from animals. Of course I was not always vegan, this is more recent, and with this, I don't get fish or shellfish, which are certainly animals, to consume, and having those is not at all sustainable, the seas are being depleted right now, and this will continue until all of the fish and certain other life is all gone from the sea, or most people in the world stop using animals.

I am in good health without problems to health other than the issue to my breathing, which is not diet related. Smokers can get such issues, but I was never a smoker. I still take care of myself. I eat so well, I can expect to avoid such health problems that are epidemic in my country, and avoid medications and serious medical intervention that others face.

The original information in this thread shows what there is to know for this, and it has very reliable basis, I wish others would look into that.

Petros wrote:De gustibus et coloribus non disputaface
I prefer not to go too deeply into others' religious minutiae.

Just two reminders:

Design: the bison, the wolf, the aardvark. The catfish, the shark, the clam. The hummingbird, the buzzard, the starling. What is the message to humans?

Definition - what is, how do we recognize, a healthy human (or camel. or dragonfly)?

This also illustrates what I said about responses. These are responding to me as a known vegan, but have nothing to do with the healthiness of the way I was showing. The healthy way has nothing to do with "religious minutiae".

What is it being asked or said about the design of animals as such? Am I arguing anything contrary or related to that?

The original message in the thread addressed that, answering what will be a healthy human, it was authored by doctors and those doctors saved lives with this, and it has thoroughly convincing studies behind that. I certainly invite others to look more into it.

And I did share a site to go see, didn't I?
baresoul
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Nudism and Health Issues