Annie's Mailbox - Husband Exercises Naked

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Annie's Mailbox - Husband Exercises Naked

Postby natman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Annie's Mailbox
Nude exerciser has daughter for coach

April 12, 2010
[LINK TO ARTICLE]

Q. My husband, “Joe,’’ turned 40 last summer. His cholesterol, blood pressure, and weight are higher than they should be, and his doctor suggested he lose 20 pounds. I try to feed him well, but I know he stops for the occasional doughnut.

Joe has never been much into exercise, but I gave him a rather expensive multifunction machine for Christmas and installed it in the family room so he could watch the big-screen TV while working out. He started spending a reluctant 10 minutes a day on his new “toy.’’

When he complained that his jeans were too tight, I made a note to buy him some loose workout clothes. When he continued to mutter about having “nothing to wear,’’ I retorted that he could exercise naked for all I cared. Then he did just that — on the machine in his birthday suit and gym shoes.

He’s now using the machine, stark naked, each day for 45 minutes without any prodding, and he’s lost some weight. Our 12-year-old daughter has begun to “coach’’ his sessions, counting his reps and urging him on.

We’re not prudes. Our daughter has seen both her parents naked and insists it doesn’t bother her to watch Dad exercise in the buff. In fact, they joke about it. She started calling him a “Greek athlete.’’ Joe does have Greek ancestry, and he now insists the Greeks had it right and has no intention of dressing.

I’m torn. If I make him wear clothes, I worry he’ll stop exercising. Is naked exercise common? Is it dangerous? Is he some sort of closet pervert? Would some busybody consider this child abuse and have him arrested?

CONFUSED

A. Exercising in the nude is not that uncommon and shouldn’t be dangerous unless sensitive body parts are in close proximity to dropped weights or snapped pulleys. We are not in favor of his daughter’s assistance with his workout and would insist he wear shorts. But nudity within one’s own home is not considered child abuse or indecent exposure. If you are worried about the neighbors, keep the blinds closed.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Annie's Mailbox - Husband Exercises Naked

Postby Jon-Marc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:26 pm

natman wrote:
A. Exercising in the nude is not that uncommon and shouldn’t be dangerous unless sensitive body parts are in close proximity to dropped weights or snapped pulleys. We are not in favor of his daughter’s assistance with his workout and would insist he wear shorts. But nudity within one’s own home is not considered child abuse or indecent exposure. If you are worried about the neighbors, keep the blinds closed.

The only part of the answer I have a problem with is "We are not in favor of his daughter's assistance with his workout and would insist he wear shorts."

If the daughter has no problem with it, why should he wear shorts? Exercising nude is MUCH more enjoyable than doing it dressed. Besides, any clothing would soon be wet from sweat and very uncomfortable to wear.

I walk nude and won't even do it if I have to wear clothes--like when it's not warm enough to be nude.

Otherwise, her answer was very sensible.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:48 pm

And there it is again: "What about the children?" I say, What about them? Shouldn't they know what naked humans of both sexes look like? The experiences of nudist and home-nudist families suggest that once their natural curiosity is satisfied, they tend to gain a greater appreciation for themselves and others and be better people in many ways than the average "non-bare." :wink: Good Lord, it's not like she and her father are committing incest!!! :roll:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:20 pm

I knew a man who was a nudist and his family wasn't. He was nude in the home around his two daughters. His wife didn't like it but tolerated it since the daughters didn't seem to mind. That went on for several years (I knew him for 6 of those years) until his older daughter (then 15) mentioned to someone at school about her dad's nudity. I'm sure it was an innocent remark like "My dad never wears clothes at home." Someone went with that, and he was charged with "Lewd behavior", lost his job, his home, his marriage, his church and could no longer see his girls. Fortunately, he wasn't imprisoned, and I have no idea if he was put on a sex offender's list.

I once read about a little boy who looked up a little girl's dress, and he was placed on a sex offender's list. I read about another little boy who had the misfortune of having the same name as a known sex offender and was treated as though HE was the sex offender.

That could happen to this man as well if his daughter tells anyone that "I coach my dad while he exercises nude at home." The bells would go off in someone's head and "Pervert!" and "Child abuse" would flash before them.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 pm

If someone suddenly discovers in mid-life (and mid-marriage) that he wants to be nude at home and not everyone in the family is cool with it, failing to discuss and negotiate the issue with the person who objects doesn't sound like a good way to handle the situation.

If I were falsely accused of lewdness, but had a wife who respected my decision to be nude at home, even if she did not participate in nude living, she would not divorce me.

Marriages can survive a difference of opinion, provided there is mutual respect and open regular communication.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby robbbie » Sun May 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Here's a comment about the article from a reader:

Dear Annie: I feel compelled to write after reading the letter from "Confused in Illinois," whose husband has started working out in the nude in front of their 12-year-old daughter. I realize there is probably nothing going on that is immoral, but as an educator and mother of three daughters, I am concerned.
Working out in the nude in front of your child is wrong. I would never even consider doing this in front of my own daughters. Why is he now so interested in the workout process, and why is the daughter only involved when nudity is a part of the equation? A small pair of shorts, even underwear, would not impede his movement.
The daughter needs to know this is not "normal" behavior. It is a form of exhibitionism, and she may have problems dealing with this in the future. Innocent or not, as parents we have to make decisions that are in the best interests of our children. The writer said they are not prudes, but the fact that she is questioning the behavior says it all. I go back to the advice of my grandmother: "If something feels wrong, it probably is." — Concerned Mother
Dear Concerned: You make an excellent point that if the nudity is making Mom uncomfortable, there could be an underlying reason, and she should not be reluctant to tell Dad to put some shorts on.
robbbie
Permanent Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 am

But the "underlying reason" could be no more than discomfort with the whole subject due to long family and social conditioning... :(
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Just because many people are "uncomfortable" with nudity, that doesn't mean it is "wrong". Most people who have an issue with nudity can't even tell you why they do. They don't know why it's "wrong"; they just know it is.

Their parents said it is wrong; the preacher says it is wrong; other people say it's wrong, and the law says it's wrong. Therefore, it MUST be wrong; millions of people can't be wrong, can they? :duh:
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby robbbie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:16 pm

And a reply from the voice of reason. Quickly shot down

Dear Annie: You told "Confused in Illinois" that you are not in favor of her husband exercising in the nude in front of his 12-year-old daughter.
There is nothing wrong with simple nudity in the home, as you also said. But why must he wear shorts? America has a body phobia that's causing an epidemic of harm. I know entire families who live in the nude at home, and their kids tend to be much better adjusted in these matters than those from "normal" families.
I suggest that you not promote something that isn't sensible in this situation. Being alarmist about nothing helps no one. — P.R., Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Dear Canada: According to our mail, you are in the minority. Most of our readers were appalled that this man would expose himself to his young daughter, regardless of the circumstances. (Quite a few wanted him arrested.) In a home filled with practicing nudists, it is not unusual or abusive for children to see their parents naked. But in most homes, this is not the case. If Mom is uncomfortable with the situation, she should insist her husband wear shorts.
robbbie
Permanent Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues