sun burn

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

sun burn

Postby DaveT » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 am

Some people burn real easy in the sun, some do not, and everything in between.

I heard it said once that a person who does not sunburn easily may have some american indian in them.

I don't have any idea how true or not. As far as I know I do not have any indian in my ancestry, (may be I just don't know) and yet i sunburn very slow, it takes hours of sun all at once after minimal exposure all winter to get a halfway burn, and then it's not serious. With a lot of time in the sun I end up so dark tanned that I was once mistaken for a Mexican.

I am of all european heritage as far as I know, a mixture from several country's over there, and yet there are others with european heritage that burn real easy. I'm wondering what makes the difference.

And that reminds me of when that happened. We were visiting a little nature preserve that had a trail around in it, and some rare wild flowers that they were preserving. the rest of the group went down the trail and I veered off into the woods just for a change, pulled my shirt off since it was a hot day, was following an old faint trail, got over next to a private residence and the people in the yard got really upset that I was there, why I have no idea, since I was not on their property, it was nature conservancy land and open to the public. Apparently they had the idea that off trail roaming was illegal or something. They objected to my presence, so momentarily I just turned and walked off through the woods. After we had returned to the parking lot a sheriff came by and asked if we'd seen a mexican around the area, apparently the people I met had reported me, for what "crime" I have no idea. I was seriously amused, I look absolutely nothing like a mexican, being of mostly german and english ancestry and being over 6 ft. Of course we'd seen no mexican and he left, not recognizing me as the "culprit" LOL!
I have a hard time figuring why anyone would get so upset about seein someone walk in the woods. Has they never walked in the woods before? (probably not) running round the woods trails or not is everyday life for me.
User avatar
DaveT
Native Resident
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: TN

Re: sun burn

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:36 am

I've not had a serious sunburn for a couple of years. I've not used sunscreen except in rare cases. What changed?

I got rid of my sunglasses and put on a hat. I heard France Guillian mention this in an interview on the Naturist Living Podcast. I mentioned it also to my chiropractor who also confirmed the theory.

Wearing sunglasses tends to block the UV which your eyes use to tell the rest of the body how to protect itself. It may be wise to moderate the sun when you try it out but it seems to have worked for me.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: sun burn

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 pm

Interesting idea about the sunglasses, bn2bnude. I'm all Scandinavian and British-Islander, and I do burn easily, still! :shock: :oops: But if sunglasses mess up our melanin production, what about regular glasses? Mine have a UV coating since I had a computer-required job when I got them. Even automobile glass blocks lots of UV rays; I discovered this on a long auto trip where I, driving west, kept my window closed and avoided sunburn even though I was in the car nearly all day. And there's a definite tan difference around my eyes. Something there! :idea:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: sun burn

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:01 pm

jochanaan wrote:Interesting idea about the sunglasses, bn2bnude. I'm all Scandinavian and British-Islander, and I do burn easily, still! :shock: :oops: But if sunglasses mess up our melanin production, what about regular glasses? Mine have a UV coating since I had a computer-required job when I got them. Even automobile glass blocks lots of UV rays; I discovered this on a long auto trip where I, driving west, kept my window closed and avoided sunburn even though I was in the car nearly all day. And there's a definite tan difference around my eyes. Something there! :idea:


My guess is that any UV coating on the glasses would mess it up. As far as the car goes, that is really the only place I do wear sunglasses.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: sun burn

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:07 pm

bn2bnude wrote:Wearing sunglasses tends to block the UV which your eyes use to tell the rest of the body how to protect itself. It may be wise to moderate the sun when you try it out but it seems to have worked for me.


Your facts are crosseyed!

Light stimulates the production of serotonin and turns off the melatonin function (that helps you sleep).
Melatonin is NOT the same as melanin, the tanning pigment.
Tinted sunglasses decrease the light going into the retina, so if you diminish the light enough, you may not wake fully.

But UV treatment on eyewear does not have to be tinted in order to function. It is helpful in preventing cataracts if you wear UV-treated glasses or wear a hat with a broad brim or stay in the shade when the sun is most intense (except to make vitamin D).

Each skin cell must have sunlight shine on it in order to tan. No matter how much you expose your arms or legs, your rump won't turn brown under those trousers!
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: sun burn

Postby DaveT » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Ahh, maybe that's it. I never wear sunglasses except very occasionally on long drives, they just bothered my eyes and wern't comfortable. I do wear a white straw hat.
User avatar
DaveT
Native Resident
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: TN

Re: sun burn

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 am

DaveT wrote:Ahh, maybe that's it. I never wear sunglasses except very occasionally on long drives, they just bothered my eyes and wern't comfortable. I do wear a white straw hat.


Dave, people who work outdoors have been wearing hats for centuries as sun protection.
It's a reliable low-tech way of protecting yourself from heat and excess sun and glare.
Straw works fine for me in hot weather!
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: sun burn

Postby DaveT » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Yah, when people lived a more outdoor lifestyle, most people used brim hats. Since a lot of the transportation was open topped, protection from rain and sun was helpful. I grew up using those cheap one dollar straw hats, but when I started makin my own cash I started getting the higher grade white hats thinking a lighter color might reflect more heat, and I think it does. I just spent a couple more hours soaking up sun while applying armstrong herbaside to the weeds, (by way of a hoe) wearin a hat and shoes. Got done and walked up the dry creekbed to a spring and cooled off in a water hole with the frogs.
I wonder if there's any relation of being poison ivy immune to being sunburn resistant. and I wonder if there's any relation of both of those to thickness of skin. And I wonder if all that has anything to do with a persons overall state of health. Maybe more experience and observation would reveal something.
User avatar
DaveT
Native Resident
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 10:29 pm
Location: TN

Re: sun burn

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Dave, you said you "started makin my own cash". Must be some pretty good counterfeits to not have been jailed yet. :lol: :lol:

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
User avatar
JimShedd112
Native Resident
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: sun burn

Postby prairieboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:05 am

DaveT wrote: I wonder if there's any relation of being poison ivy immune to being sunburn resistant. and I wonder if there's any relation of both of those to thickness of skin. And I wonder if all that has anything to do with a persons overall state of health. Maybe more experience and observation would reveal something.

Everything is inter-related. When I started going to the nude beach it only seemed natural to go barefoot, even though my feet have always been tender. Now I go barefoot more all the time. I also don't burn easily, don't use sunscreen, except on my nose, and I wear a hat. I don't know much about poison ivy, but when God dealt with my anger and bitterness the severity of my allergies decreased significantly.
prairieboy
Native Resident
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: sun burn

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:45 am

Ramblinman wrote:Light stimulates the production of serotonin and turns off the melatonin function (that helps you sleep).
Melatonin is NOT the same as melanin, the tanning pigment.
Tinted sunglasses decrease the light going into the retina, so if you diminish the light enough, you may not wake fully.

But UV treatment on eyewear does not have to be tinted in order to function. It is helpful in preventing cataracts if you wear UV-treated glasses or wear a hat with a broad brim or stay in the shade when the sun is most intense (except to make vitamin D).

Each skin cell must have sunlight shine on it in order to tan. No matter how much you expose your arms or legs, your rump won't turn brown under those trousers!



I think I would agree with you but it works for me (and yes, I know that melanin and melatonin is not the same thing).

And yes, this is also why I do not get U/V protection on my eye glasses as well.

My only argument is that our body has great defense mechanisms given to us by God. Maybe some that the scientific community hasn't really studied well. Think about how out bodies react to cold. They constrict blood vessels, forcing the blood into the inner core to help us keep warm.

I believe (and antidotally have seen) something like this occurs with our exposure to sunlight.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2712
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: sun burn

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 pm

bn2bnude wrote:... this is also why I do not get U/V protection on my eye glasses as well.

My only argument is that our body has great defense mechanisms given to us by God. Maybe some that the scientific community hasn't really studied well. Think about how out bodies react to cold. They constrict blood vessels, forcing the blood into the inner core to help us keep warm.

I believe (and antidotally have seen) something like this occurs with our exposure to sunlight.


Here's a little experiment you can try:
Expose your eyes and only your eyes to the intense UV radiation of a sunny Colorado day.
Make sure you have blocked every inch of skin with thick sunblock (reapplied per directions), heavy mud, or very thick fabric
See if you skin darkens one slightest bit. It might if some UV light manages to penetrate, but compare this if you can to a day in full sun over your entire body. (moderate this as needed to prevent burns).

Then cover your eyes with heavy sunblock, eye shades, (whatever you can find to totally block out light) and expose the rest of your body to as much intense Colorado sunshine as you can stand for as long as you can endure it).

I think you will discover that your eyes have nothing whatsoever to do with the ability of your skin to tan or remain fair, but see for yourself.

As for your observation, "our body has great defense mechanisms given to us by God." In general I agree, but within your genetic limits and your environment.

Put a native Swede on the high plains of Kenya, strip him of his clothes, provide no sunblock and ask him to herd cattle all day in the blazing tropical African sun. I don't think he will have a pleasant time of it.

Ask the same of a local African and assuming he has enough water, he will do fine and not burn his skin.

I have had a similar experience in the UK. I was in the sun all day and didn't burn at all while my fair-skinned companions had angry red sunburns. I was within my genetic limits for that environment, my companions were not.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: sun burn

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:09 pm

DaveT wrote:...I wonder if there's any relation of being poison ivy immune to being sunburn resistant...
I would say no, based on my own experience. I have never gotten a bad reaction to poison ivy despite being around it on many occasions (and despite my tendency toward other allergies), but I burn easily, as I've said.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: sun burn

Postby jjsledge » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

In years past my head would burn and peel after excess sun exposure. Two years ago I started taking the super antioxidant Astaxanthin. It seems it is an internal sunscreen and I have not peeled since. I'll get what feels like a burn but is usually gone the next morning.

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
User avatar
jjsledge
Native Resident
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Re: sun burn

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:06 pm

jjsledge wrote:In years past my head would burn and peel after excess sun exposure. Two years ago I started taking the super antioxidant Astaxanthin. It seems it is an internal sunscreen and I have not peeled since. I'll get what feels like a burn but is usually gone the next morning.

Jerry


Jerry, thanks for sharing that! Sounds like great stuff to minimize burning skin.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Next

Return to Nudism and Health Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest