Do or Don't Sweat the Ticks.

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Do or Don't Sweat the Ticks.

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:20 pm

I am surprised that I am not a tick feeding ground of late. It is well before the first killing frost here in Missouri and my exposure in prime tick conditions is at a high and yet I have not picked up a single one.

My Exposure:
I am involved in a project to open up one of my trails that accomodate my 42inch cut riding mower because I now have a tractor and would like to be able to access the back parts of my property so I might plant wildlife crops in clearings, provide access for fire fighting equipment and possibly accommodate potential naturist campers. My tractor has agricultural tires and would seriously increase erosion risk except along one of two paths that do not climb or descend steep grades. I am clearing trees along the better of those two paths. To make it maintainable requires that I leave no stumps, so I am having to pull out trees in the 2 to 6 inch range. This is requiring significant working in lots of leaf litter on the forest floor, and such leaf litter is a prime location for ticks. Yet after days of hard intense manual labor assisted by the tractor, I have not acquired a single tick.

Latest Theory:
The weather has been warm. Conditions are moderately dry. The humidity has been high. The work site is surrounded by thick woods. So of course I have been working nude, (and oh so grateful that I had the presence of mind to wipe out the poison ivy along that path). But the work is very vigorous and demanding and I have been sweating profusely, to the point that it is often dripping off of me. Were I to add soap and rub vigorously I would look like the abominable suds man! So now I am wondering if this profuse sweating is a deterrent to ticks. The only items I have been wearing are shoes, socks, glasses, straw hat, and leather work gloves. All of these items become soaked with sweat and have to be washed or at least just dried with a fan overnight to be ready for the next day. I suppose I could speculate that the ticks were on a low salt diet or did not like my B.O., but maybe they just find me to slippery or all that fluid plugs their breathing spiracles. Whatever the cause of my protection I am happy to be getting work done and not being bitten by ticks.

Ok! the floor is open for speculation of why no tick bites.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Do or Don't Sweat the Ticks.

Postby Larryk1052 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Maybe the word is out in the tic community that the old sweaty naked guy doesn't taste good.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I make no claim to tick expertise, but around here tick encounters are common in the spring, scarce autumn.

What I here says, the tick targets by noting a hot spot. Sweat or no, it is possible at this time your heat signature is not enough to make you a target.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Larryk1052 wrote:Maybe the word is out in the tic community that the old sweaty naked guy doesn't taste good.
Bummer, and here I always thought I had good taste :lol:

Petros wrote:I make no claim to tick expertise, but around here tick encounters are common in the spring, scarce autumn.
That never seemed to stop them before, at least until the first killing frost.

Petros wrote:What I here says, the tick targets by noting a hot spot. Sweat or no, it is possible at this time your heat signature is not enough to make you a target.
Now that seems plausible. Since sweat is a cooling mechanism and is working at the surface to air interface, it may be masking my body temperature.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:53 am

Some people are naturally resistant (or perhaps naturally invisible) to mosquitoes and similar biting bugs.
http://www.skeeterbite.info/article_7.html
I am one of those they don't seem to care much for, but it helps when I with people they prefer to bite and they leave me alone all the more.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jimmy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:09 pm

My wife says it has to do with blood type. Type O is the preferred. I am type A+ and if I am outside with my wife they go for her before the come to me.

Jimmy
jimmy
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:11 pm

Well the thing is that I normally get chewed up pretty good by the ticks, but not while working on this project.

(and for the record I am O + Heterozygous)
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:14 pm

He who is prayed up is not preyed upon?

Not sure it would stand up to rigorous testing, but a hypothesis is a hypothesis.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Petros wrote:He who is prayed up is not preyed upon?

Not sure it would stand up to rigorous testing, but a hypothesis is a hypothesis.
Well, Our Lord was a master of natural forces and, presumably, living beings. And He said:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. --John 14:12
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Nudism and Health Issues