Another "Sunbathing Is Not Always Bad for You" Article

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Another "Sunbathing Is Not Always Bad for You" Article

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 10, 2014 2:50 pm

In the linked article the health, Yes! even life prolonging, benefit of sunbathing is discussed.
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-avoiding-sunshine-could-mean-an-early-death-in-women-2014-5
The discriminating reader will want to note that the study which was done in Sweden, references similar effects and a degree of support from experts in England. Upon consulting an atlas, the reader should recognize that:
-- Sweden lies between 52 to 72 degrees north latitude and is chucked full of blond light skinned Swedes.
-- England lies between 50 and 56 degrees north latitude and has many light skinned people.
-- Whereas, excluding Alaska, the continental U.S. from Maine to Florida lies between 25 and 50 degrees north latitude; entirely south of any part of either England or Sweden!
-- And just for reference, my own location in Missouri happens to lie at about 35.7 degrees north latitude which is entirely south of Europe, about the latitude of
-- -- the North African Mediterranean coast
-- -- Sicily,
-- -- Malta,
-- -- Crete,
-- -- Cyprus,
and
-- -- the Syrian Desert;
-- Also Florida is entirely within the latitudes of the Sahara Desert.
So when the article compares health effects of Swedes sunbathing in Sweden versus "abroad" they are probably talking about, "abroad", as in latitudes like the south of Europe or the Caribbean etc.
Of course, since the research was done for women, one may wonder what the effect is for men.

So, with the above caveats, Sunbathe and live longer!
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Another "Sunbathing Is Not Always Bad for You" Article

Postby ezduzit » Sat May 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Very informative article , how much sun per day is "safe" I wonder.
Being blue eyed and blonde , and having been sun burned as a child I understand that puts me at a greater risk for skin cancers.
Ez
ezduzit

Postby jasenj1 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm

See http://vitamindhealth.org/
Listen to Naturist Living podcast Vitamin D episode.

One thing the podcast did not cover that I wish it had was whether exposure to sun has benefits to the skin exposed vs merely the general generation of vitamin D. e.g. Does exposure to the sun have positive effects on women's breast tissue?
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 10, 2014 10:13 pm

ezduzit wrote: how much sun per day is "safe" I wonder
Given the general attitude of the medical profession which seems mostly under the notion that zero is best, and vitamin D pills are as good as getting appropriate sunshine; I would doubt that anyone is doing any studies about such things as
-- how much your natural pigmentation affects this
-- how much your latitude while getting sun has an effect,
-- as well as how age impacts this, (e.g. youth has a stronger immune system but age has a slower cell reproduction rate and hence less opportunity for cancers to initiate and grow).

ezduzit wrote: Being blue eyed and blonde
I.e. less pigmented, less melanin.

ezduzit wrote: having been sun burned as a child I understand that puts me at a greater risk for skin cancers
While I have heard that being sunburned is a risk factor, I have not heard whether future careful sun exposure is riskier due to the previous sun burn. i.e. how much riskier is future sun exposure because of a former sun burn. maybe the increased risk is only a function of the previous burn whether you get any more sun exposure or not. There is hardly anyone who did not get some sunburn as a child among the light complected races.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 11, 2014 12:03 am

By my understandings the risk to the Nordic blonde is not so great as to the red-haired Gael [Irish / Scots / Manx, separating the dark variants].

I suspect the risks are more connected with altitude than latitude - with less atmosphere cover skin cancer is more ptobable. High altitude Central Kenyans use shade.

Sunstroke / heatstroke and sunburn call for some attention.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:21 am

Bare_Truth wrote: I would doubt that anyone is doing any studies about such things as
-- how much your natural pigmentation affects this
-- how much your latitude while getting sun has an effect,
-- as well as how age impacts this, (e.g. youth has a stronger immune system but age has a slower cell reproduction rate and hence less opportunity for cancers to initiate and grow).

The doctor at the Vitamin D Health site listed above has done some of those studies, and references several more in the Naturist Living podcast where he was interviewed.

- Jasen.
Last edited by jasenj1 on Sun May 11, 2014 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby ezduzit » Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 am

Looks like 15-20 min`s a day is all that is needed to get the Vitamin D needed...
Ez
ezduzit

Postby Ramblinman » Sun May 11, 2014 10:29 am

Two more factors:
Atmospheric moisture -
The rainy, foggy coasts of northwestern Europe provides more protection for fair-skinned people than the sunnier interior of Europe at the same latitude.
In these maritime areas, sunny summer weather arrives later, so our nudity tended to begin later too (hearkening back to a time when our culture allowed or encouraged summertime nudity).

Diet -
People living along the sea have access to vitamin D from fish, so there are pockets of olive-skinned people along the northwest Atlantic strip... provided vitamin D from diet, even when sunny skies are rare, there is less selective pressure against them to favor white-skinned offspring. So in the area of northwestern Europe overall, fair skin is strongly selected for, but along the coast, the advantage disappears.

An anthropological note: there are several populations that colonized northwestern Europe. One of them came from what is now Spain, migrating along the seacoasts northward across present-day France, paddling across the river where the English channel now lies on into present-day Cornwall, Devon, Ireland, Wales and Scotland. This was apparently a neolithic migration based upon the chambered tombs they all had in common. These people gave rise to the darker complected elements of the present population of the Celtic fringe of Europe.

There was a Paleolithic population in the interior that seems to be genetically and culturally akin to the people living along the shores of the North Sea and Baltic. The Saami (Lapp) are closest culturally to these aboriginals. And perhaps 3,000 or so years ago, a final Celtic migration into the British Isles and Ireland from what is now Belgium and France.

So with their skin color derived from such disparate locations as the Baltic shore, the Alps and central Spain, and little selective pressure for any of their descendants to be lighter or darker, the population ratio is probably a function of the original number of immigrants then skewed by which culture was most effective in warfare and food production.

One more note about diet
Fair-skinned people are at a reproductive disadvantage in subtropical and tropical areas for two reasons:
UV radiation depletes the body's stores of folate, leading to women giving birth to spina bifida babies and pale-skinned males are more likely to have defective sperm when their folate stores are depleted.
Solution: eat more leafy greens and other foods that contain folic acid (note the word "foliage") to restore your folate levels to normal. This is particularly important to Caucasians living in sunny climes, but all people will benefit.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues