How the Sun Sees You (Video) - Improper Conclusion?

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

How the Sun Sees You (Video) - Improper Conclusion?

Postby natman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Perhaps many of you have seen this viral video...

How the Sun Sees You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BqrSAHbTc

My reaction is that this is a "SCARE TACTIC" put out by the Cancer Industry to encourage people to stay out of the sun in order to diminish their Vitamin-D intake and then to slather themselves with known carcinogenic ointments to thereby increase (rather than decrease) the likelihood that they will contract a deadly form of cancer or other deadly disease.

By looking at the way a persons skin reflects ultraviolet light, it makes it appear that their skin is damaged, when in reality, it is only deviations in the skin's ability to reflect that particular spectrum of light. ALL of us have variations in our skin's reflectivity to various wavelengths of light. If this UV filtering were accurate to determine "damaged" skin, then all doctors and dermatologists would be using it instead of doing biopsies and lab testing.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: How the Sun Sees You (Video) - Improper Conclusion?

Postby Petros » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:39 am

A classic treatment of the topic. Check it out:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifLPGi4X6A <

One does so hope the device is only scanning ultraviolet, not projecting.

In Nairobi, high up though not the highest point, I learned two valuable lessons. With a lot less atmosphere shielding us from the fireball, even on a day my professor would insist on calling overcast, not cloudy, the UV flux is of course significantly greater than that to which I, for one, am accustomed. The local Bantu and Nilotes have a skin pigmentation designed to handle it rather better than those of us who are mostly Nordic. But, true to the spirit of the song, they sit outside - even on a cool and dull day - in the shade of the trees and minimize exposure. For reasons also true to the spirit of the song, those not niet blankes [apparently in the modern Taal also heard as nie blankes] MAXIMIZED solazr radiation, often, says my nose, with the artificial supplements discussed and illustrated.

Me, I prefer a nice shade and I hate slops on my skin.

Then there was the friend who bought my no longer useful car off me [and carelessly overheated it and blamed me]. She in her early days in Nairobi maximized UV flux. About 6 months in she was checked and found to have skin cancer on her nose.

I conclude:

I believe in maximizing AIR exposure to the extent practical.

I believe in controlling UV exposure, making use of natural shade and artificial shelters as izs practical given the skin I have.

I believe in putting as few foreign substances as practical onto - or into - my body.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:42 am

Whoa - I only just realized - you done posted a video, which I believed for a period was not possible. And I just threw in a link.

Well, haidhuru, dhen einai tipote, next time. For now you and Noel will live.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:25 am

Petros,

I find it interesting that some of the people with the greatest longevity and least cancer live high in the mountains where UV exposure is greatest.

According to recent studies, malinoma cancer is caused by an imbalance of omega-6 and omeag-3 fatty acids in combination with EXCESSIVE sun exposure, not mere sun exposure alone.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 am

That is one for Herself. I should not be at all surprised. She has for a coupler years now been collecting with increasing agitation [aghast, not awed] cases where the peer reviewed wiseacres of today have been reversing the diet- health received standards that prevailed 40s / 50s or came into view 60s > 80s.

So much we have barely scratched ,

and we can and will change the direction of an industry and revolutionize our children's lifestyle on the basis of one [who funded it>] study.

Me, I yam what I yam and been what I've been, and stuff like that no longer leaves me aghast or dumbfounded. A bit awed that God does not see us as that bad a challenge.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am

"EXCESSIVE sun exposure, not mere sun exposure alone."

That rings a bell. I think of Nairobi, with people who walk or work in the sun as rerquird but rest in the shade, I think of London, where the sun-starved on sunny days flood the parks baring skin as convenient. And here we are, on days when you fry eggs on New York sidewalks carpeting Florida with cocoa buttered skin. [Cycling past the park even in Wisconsin on a summer day you smell the stuff a block away from the beach].
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Petros wrote:And here we are, on days when you fry eggs on New York sidewalks carpeting Florida with cocoa buttered skin. [Cycling past the park even in Wisconsin on a summer day you smell the stuff a block away from the beach].

I probably would not have so much of a resistance to cocoa butter lotions, if cocoa (coconut oil) were the only thing in them. However, it is all of the "other stuff" that typically poses a problem. Additionally, simply adding an oily substance to the body does a lot to prevent the skin from breathing naturally and also blocks certain necessary wavelengths of light from getting where it is needed most. :(

When exposed to the sun, healthy skin produces it's own "oil" and self-regulates filtering to produce the optimum amounts of Vitamin-D. As a "Christian Pragmatist", I recognize that as "God's design". No need for man to muck it up.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm

"muck it up" - how literally true that often is.

But we are so easily persuaded to ignore the elegant hardware and software we have been given.

There is a line somewhere in the Don Camillo cycle. Guareschi, not without much practical wisdom, points out how the local young inevitably took shortcuts on the way to school - which, given the road was straight as an arrow, just added time to the trip.

That's us - we do not GET "if it ain't broke"
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56 pm

natman wrote:...When exposed to the sun, healthy skin produces it's own "oil" and self-regulates filtering to produce the optimum amounts of Vitamin-D. As a "Christian Pragmatist", I recognize that as "God's design". No need for man to muck it up.

I know that people used mud in ages past to protect nose, shoulders and ears from burning on a day with brilliant sunshine.

Sun BLOCKS made from Titanium dioxide or Zinc oxide protect the surface of the skin, they are not absorbed transdermally as is the case with sun tan lotions.

But I certainly don't want to clog up my pores with heavy oils. I only apply sun block to the areas that tend to burn.

I have a pretty decent inborn melanin response when I am outdoors, so that plus a hat or midday shade usually is plenty of protection for me. I deliberately seek a few minutes of midday sun to make vitamin D, nude as often as I can.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Return to Nudism and Health Issues