Skin Cancer - Sun - Cancer

Nudism raises lots of questions about body care. It is a healthy way of life in many ways, but it also presents certain concerns that we don't face when clothed. Here you can ask all your questions, and post about the health benefits of nudism / naturism.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Skin Cancer - Sun - Cancer

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:51 am

Don't lose what you have gained!
Washing off Vitamin D?

Some Vitamin D3 is created inside your skin cells, so it can’t wash off. But more is created in the natural oil on top of your skin. This can be washed off, especially if you use soap, or hot water.

The longer the skin oil remains on the skin after sunning, the more vitamin D will be absorbed. Several hours are needed for total absorption. Your skin re-absorbs your skin oil – and the vitamin D with it.
http://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/vi ... -exposure/

My thoughts: Obviously, soaping and washing underarms and groin may be necessary if you go out in public, and you would want to rinse sweat and sand off in cool water too. But with reasonable care, you can retain the D residing on your skin surface for several hours as it is absorbed.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:05 am

BASIC DOSE
Use this simple rule to calculate your basic vitamin D dosage, based on your body mass. The answer will be in International Units of vitamin D, or IU.

Basic daily vitamin D dosage = Body mass in pounds * 27

(Or Body Mass in Kilograms * 60 if you prefer metric.)
Examples
Body Mass Calculation Daily Vitamin D (IU)
200 pound adult 200 x 27 5400
100 pound teenager 100 x 27 2700
50 pound child 50 x 27 1350

It works for any size of person, any age, male or female, pregnancy included.

Why 27 IU per pound? Well, that’s the amount most people need to keep their 25(OH)D blood level near the optimum level of 50 ng/ml, without any help from sunlight.

Here is how you adjust for sunlight:

Estimate how much of your total skin area is exposed to strong, direct sunlight every day, on average. Would it be 5% or 10% or 20% or some other amount?
Double that percentage
Reduce your basic vitamin D dosage by that doubled percentage.

That’s it, you’re done!
Sunlight Adjustment Example

Suppose your basic vitamin D daily dose (from Step 1) is 5400 IU, and you expose around 30% of your skin area to strong direct sun * (wearing T-shirt and shorts) most days, in summer.

You double that percentage which makes 60%, and calculate your sunlight adjustment as 60% of 5400 IU, which is 3240 IU.

Now subtract the sunlight adjustment from your basic daily dose. Like this

5400 – 3240 = 2160 IU.

So your personal vitamin D dosage would be 2160 IU of vitamin D by mouth per day.

*Strong, direct sunlight means
The sun is high in the sky
Your shadow is shorter than you
You are not behind glass
You are not wearing sunscreen.
Air is clean and clear
Sun is not obscured by cloud
You are not in the shade!

My commentary:
The article goes on to mention that if your blood test shows D-deficiency, you may need to obtain more vitamin D than typically recommended for about 60 days to catch up.
Be careful to watch your D supplement tablet dosage. That is where the risk of overdose can come in, particularly in summer you may need to stop taking D tablets altogether.

Source: http://vitamind3-cholecalciferol.com/vitamin-d-dosage/
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:12 am

Sun-Latitude Exposure Calculator

Scientists at the Norwegian Institute for Air Research have devised a calculator
at https://fastrt.nilu.no/VitD-ez_quartMEDandMED_v2.html that will estimate how
many minutes of exposure you need for your skin to produce 25 mcg (the equivalent of 1,000 International Units)
of vitamin D. It is not written for US cities so you’ll need to visit www.realestate3d.com/gps/latlong.htm to find the
latitude and longitude and enter the numbers manually. The easiest way may be to simply Google "altitude of [your
town]". Remember to convert it to kilometers. One kilometer is about 3300 feet.
If your latitude is 39 S, enter -39. If your longitude is 76 W, enter -76. You’ll
also need to enter the time of day you are going out in the sun, expressed as UTC (Greenwich Mean Time).
You can covert your time into Greenwich Mean Time by going to www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html. The
calculator uses a 24 hour clock, so hours from 1 PM to midnight are expressed as 13 to 24.
The calculator also wants to know the thickness of the ozone layer. I suggest just setting this one to medium. Be sure
to click the radio button next to the entries. They are often not automatically selected when you fill in the values.
Keep in mind that the exposure times given are considered enough to maintain healthy vitamin D status.
If you are starting out with a vitamin D deficiency, you might need more.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 am

I'm type IV in the chart. There's seems to be a gap between that and type V, although I realize those are generalizations. In the summer, I'm probably type IV.5. 8)

I've got to figure out what vitamin D amount I need at 155 pounds. Now if I can just find my slide rule, sextant, and sunglasses. All kidding aside (and I wasn't making light of it, pun intended), thank you Ramlinman for some very helpful info. As I age, I'm more aware of my nutritional needs. I speak to my doctor(s) often about this and I'm impressed that they focus more on well balanced meals rather than supplements. And you can't get more natural than good ol' sunshine.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby MountainDog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I have read that melanoma is more common in people who get little/no sun. The other less serious skin cancers come from too much sun, i.e., sunburns. So, enjoy the sun, just limit exposure leading to burns. I try and stay away from Solar Noon and limit time out in the sun by timers when in the brighter parts of the day. I avoid sunscreens except on my tattoo as the sun is said to be hard on tattoos.

If you know your skin type, I find that a smart phone can help by just asking, "Hey Siri, how till I sunburn?" and I will receive a chart showing me how many minutes to burn based on current UV index and location. I have found that this does not work well if location services is turned off. You can also get the UV index in the weather app on the iPhone, then check the skin type chart for "time to burn." (Other smart phones, you will have to figure this out as I only know the iPhone.)
MountainDog
Permanent Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:28 pm

I mentioned this in another post, but thought would revisit the thought.
A neighbor out here in country has had problems with cancer. 3rd go around. The doctors were vvveeerrryyy plain that they wanted her to have no sun. Instead they gave her Vit-D supplements. In testing of blood, they found that the pills did almost nothing to raise her vitamin D levels (to help fight the cancer). So she got OK to be in sun a little each day, but to be careful not to burn. Her vitamin D levels went up like a rocket.

In Him
Ron :cross:
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:39 am

RABLINMAN
One more thing to think about 'winter sun' for those in less tropic climates is the angle of rays hitting the body.
In winter the sun is lower on horizon and the fewer UV that do get thru will be at a much better angle hitting a body that is upright (standing walking working). At the better angle the available Rays will not bounce off due to angle.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:RABLINMAN
One more thing to think about 'winter sun' for those in less tropic climates is the angle of rays hitting the body.
In winter the sun is lower on horizon and the fewer UV that do get thru will be at a much better angle hitting a body that is upright (standing walking working). At the better angle the available Rays will not bounce off due to angle.

Ron

Ron,
The atmosphere is not a vacuum. When the sun is low in the sky either at dawn in the tropics or pretty much anytime on a winter day in Missouri, more molecules of Nitrogen, oxygen and CO2, etc. stand in the path of UV radiation from the sun and thus less reaches you regardless of your angle of repose on the surface of the earth.
UVB is only likely to reach you from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm between the vernal and autumnal equinoxes.
UVB is what you need to make vitamin D.
UVA will tan you (if your skin can tan), but won't produce Vitamin D.
UVA can be had across a wider span of the day, but won't do you much good, and may cause harm depending on exposure.
UVB is also harmful in excess, but if you are fair-skinned, 10 minutes 3 times a week is not likely to induce cancer, but should make all the D3 you need.
You can get your D3 in a short burst of midday light and otherwise avoid midday sun for best health.
In Mexico's high dry altiplano we took a siesta during this time of day, returning to work when the sun was safely lower in the sky..
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm

What do you know about the link between tanning booths and melanoma? He rephrased saying, not from sun, but tanning booths.
My Mohs Surgeon told me he is seeing a lot of melanoma that seems to be linked to people that use tanning booths. Men on back, and women on back of legs.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:51 pm

I really suspect diet and lifestyle has more to do with skin cancer than sun exposure. God's original dietary plan was what we would call 100% raw vegan. And would also have been nutrient dense or high brix for further modern description. Although many benefits of such a diet have been found, I don't know that anyone has really demonstrated the full extent of it's potential.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:37 am

MoNatureMan wrote:What do you know about the link between tanning booths and melanoma? He rephrased saying, not from sun, but tanning booths.
My Mohs Surgeon told me he is seeing a lot of melanoma that seems to be linked to people that use tanning booths. Men on back, and women on back of legs.

Ron

Ron, a light tan will reduce the chances of additional UV damage, as melanin gets pulled upward to protect the nuclei of our skin cells.
But let's not kid ourselves...
Most people who can tan, will typically overdo it, thinking only about the cosmetic beauty of brown skin.

Brief sun exposure will produce vitamin D3, just a matter of minutes, way too brief a time to produce a tan.
When is the last time you saw someone go into a tanning bed for 10 minutes 3 times week?
Or lie on a beach in blazing sunshine for that matter for 5 minutes and return to their motel room until nearly sunset?

Last time I was in southern England, about 50 degrees North , it was June and I didn't get the slightest bit red after an entire day in the sun.
Others with me turned red. But here at 34 degrees north, I wouldn't dare do that in June.

For those of us with mostly European ancestry, our skin has a hard time dealing with the sun south of 40 degrees North.
I do better than most English, Irish or Nordic types but that ain't sayin' much.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:43 am

DaveT wrote:I really suspect diet and lifestyle has more to do with skin cancer than sun exposure. God's original dietary plan was what we would call 100% raw vegan. And would also have been nutrient dense or high brix for further modern description. Although many benefits of such a diet have been found, I don't know that anyone has really demonstrated the full extent of it's potential.

Marcus Rothkranz is one outspoken advocate of raw vegan diet, John Kohler another Youtube personality who eats in a similar fashion.
Both of these guys seem rather youthful, anecdotal evidence that a diet heavy in leafy greens is going to give you plenty of folic acid to counteract the effects of sun damage on skin.
Astaxanthin, fruits high in antioxidants, vitamin K2, there are a few things you can take to slow aging way, way down.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:38 pm

DaveT wrote:I really suspect diet and lifestyle has more to do with skin cancer than sun exposure. God's original dietary plan was what we would call 100% raw vegan. And would also have been nutrient dense or high brix for further modern description. Although many benefits of such a diet have been found, I don't know that anyone has really demonstrated the full extent of it's potential.

Dave, I'm not disagreeing with you on diet affecting skin cancer, but do you think that God would have designed our bodies not to need B12 (from animals and animal products) and then suddenly changed them to need B12 after the fall? The reason I ask is because vegans (and some vegetarians) have to take supplements to get the B12 they need.

Not to mention that there are many people who have given up on veganism because they were literally depriving and slowly killing themselves. I remember reading about one female blogger who quit for genuine health reasons and was berated, even verbally abused, by the vegan community. Not for me.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Maverick wrote:

Dave, I'm not disagreeing with you on diet affecting skin cancer, but do you think that God would have designed our bodies not to need B12 (from animals and animal products) and then suddenly changed them to need B12 after the fall? The reason I ask is because vegans (and some vegetarians) have to take supplements to get the B12 they need.

Not to mention that there are many people who have given up on veganism because they were literally depriving and slowly killing themselves. I remember reading about one female blogger who quit for genuine health reasons and was berated, even verbally abused, by the vegan community. Not for me.

I am not a Mormon, but sometimes find something they say helpful without putting me in the position of agreeing with everything they teach.

Mormon author Jane Birch writes: We live in a fallen world. Many things are not ideal. Adam and Eve ate a totally plant-based diet in the Garden Eden and never needed B12 supplements.
We have left the Garden, and we’ve since done a lot of damage to our DNA and to our physical and cultural environment.
Through many generations of eating less than an ideal diet, it is possible our bodies became dependent on the B12 found in animals.
Perhaps this changed either our bodies and/or our environment enough that we are now paying a price.
Supplementation may be one price we need to pay for living in a fallen world, at least until we better understand this nutrient and learn to eat a healthier diet.

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/a ... tamin-b12/
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:14 pm

This might be totally off the wall so here I go... Perhaps our shortened years have nothing to do with nutrition but rather with sin itself bringing death upon us, that is, destroying us. God set our age (days) at 120 years to prevent utter, total, instantaneous annihilation that sin brings to human flesh. In other words, God had to intervene in order to keep his children from self-created extinction.

That's what sin does. It destroys. There's something very supernatural about it that affects the fiber of our very being. Sin is Satan's kool-aid, and there's nothing nutritional about that! Maybe it permanently changed humankind physically, mentally, emotionally, morally, and even sexually. It definitely did spiritually. So maybe, just maybe this has nothing to do with nutrition and soil composition, and sunlight. Sin simply destroys - it utterly destroys. And only God could handle it's limitations to the extent that He sent Jesus to die for our sins - to just get it over with once and for all, that is, to conquer the total affects of sin which were to destroy that which was holy and perfect from the beginning. Thank you Jesus.

Hey guys, don't get me wrong. I enjoy the discussion! Just adding a different perspective. :cross:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Nudism and Health Issues