Nudity – Therapy for Autism?

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby Maverick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:03 pm

This is not "new" news but it's something I remembered reading a while back and hunted down today: http://bareplatypus.blogspot.com/2012/03/nudity-therapy-for-autism.html

Bare Platypus

Friday, March 30, 2012
This week alarming new statistics about autism made headlines. According to the latest release, about one in eighty-eight children will be diagnosed with some form of autism, ranging from mild to more severe cases. [See, for example, this article in USA TODAY ]

We have said many times on Bare Platypus that we are NOT doctors. When it comes to autism, however, we have been following the condition for some time. That’s because autism and nudism have crossed paths more than once. It seems that many autistic people do not like the feeling of clothes on their body. This may be due to an increased sensitivity to touch.

In our previous work, The Platypus Team in fact took up the case of one young man with moderately-severe autism who had made the transition to living alone. He had a job and rode the bus line to and from his apartment each day. He also removed his clothes immediately upon getting home and stayed that way until it was time to go to work. It’s not clear that he considered any of the more esoteric aspects of “nudism”… he just knew it felt better to have nothing on his skin.

All went well until he once went out on his balcony to retrieve his cat at about 5:00 in the morning without stopping to dress. [This young man was no pervert… just forgetful He had signs taped to the inside frame of his front door made by his mother to remind him he needed to put on clothes before leaving for work.]

A neighbor complained and the apartment complex planned to evict him until we assisted his mother with negotiating with the complex by leveraging the young man’s status under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The landlords recanted; they also helped install new louvered blinds on the balcony to avoid further complications with the neighbors. We considered this victory to be among our finest of hours.

Nudism and autism have also crossed paths in some studies linking autism with Vitamin D deficiency. A chief source of Vitamin D is direct exposure to sunlight and about 15 minutes a day on a fully-naked body yields a full day’s supply of this nutrient.

Finally, we strongly encourage you to read this touching story about the mother of a six year old boy who watched him experience genuine freedom and joy when the family stumbled onto the Rooster Rock nude beach. See Living with autism: A beach, a boy, a moment of joy . See http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index ... h_a_b.html

10/30/13 Update: We came across the following nudity and autism website .On it parents and grandparents of autistic children share tips and experiences. There are even suggested types of clothing for making kids more comfortable or to see that certain behavior is addressed. Several parents suggest nudism too. See http://www.thespeciallife.com/autism-and-clothing.html

04/25/12 Update: Bare Platypus came across this somewhat humorous account from the mother of an autistic teen son with a nudist streak: http://thefunnysideofautism.org/2012/03 ... st-colony/

07/13 Update: Another story of one with autism who took to the buff to go swimming in a hotel pond. Concerned mom and dad got her back safe and sound: Autistic Person's Nude Swim

Follow the original URL to links to other stories about nudity and autism. Incidentally, the Bare Platypus blog is a Christian naturist one. :like: :cross:
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: Nudity – Therapy for Autism?

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 am

Now how did I miss noticing this post?

Whether it be therapy and in what sense I cannot say, but I have seen suggestive possibilities of a link between an aspie mind and a nudity preferring body.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Petros wrote:but I have seen suggestive possibilities of a link between an aspie mind and a nudity preferring body

Hi Petros,
I'm very interested in learning more about this. Do you have any sources? I can search the net but I know I'll have to sort out fact from fiction.
Thanks.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:31 pm

I started this earlier today but was interrupted.

It is at present pretty much anecdotal - not that that determines truth value. Being aware of my position on the spectrum, and aware of my preference for nudity and distaste for much of the clothing imposed on us, I have for some time noticed that forthose on the spectrum and naturists the circles overlap a bit much for chance. The aspie is likely to have problems with certain textures and constrictions, and is likely to be less affected by social conventions. Watching the one crowd at Wrong Planet, and the other here, I see possibilities worth some research.

I do not know of any literature on the subject as such, though I suspect some studies exist.

But here is a piece I wrote for another site that has not yet made it online - a light treatment, but ir makes the points.

The Cleopatra Syndrome

There's no good reason you would be one of us, a member, card carrying or otherwise, of the Ancient and Bespectacled [well, I at least am astigmatic and dependent on my lenses, and if they in some eyes call into question the purity of my naturism, honi soit qui mal y pense] Order of Spectrals. But beng myself on the fringes of the Asperger spectrum, I am sensitized. I have noticed that many of us have texture and pressure sensitivities that make us less comfortable in clothes. And many of us have skewed and limited socialization that makes some of the social reasons for clothing less important.

I confess I have not made the surveys and run the statistics - but I suspect that if one of my colleagues does the work we will find that indeed the percentage of Spectrals inclined to get their kit off is somewhat higher than the percentage of neurotypicals with the urge.

I know it is not a simple correlation. MJ, while clearly a fringe Spectral herself, is extremely uncomfortable with nudity, and NN, a strong and serious naturist, has no more Asperger symptoms than I have extroversion.

And THAT says - listen up, you lot wondering what you will do for your PhD or MPhil - there is room, there is motivation for several really good studies. Talk it over with your advisor.

Oh - a quick survey - who got the Cleopatra reference?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Petros wrote:Oh - a quick survey - who got the Cleopatra reference?

Might bear some details on this one as I think it went over my head. But I got everything else.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Petros wrote:I started this earlier today but was interrupted.

It is at present pretty much anecdotal - not that that determines truth value. Being aware of my position on the spectrum, and aware of my preference for nudity and distaste for much of the clothing imposed on us, I have for some time noticed that forthose on the spectrum and naturists the circles overlap a bit much for chance. The aspie is likely to have problems with certain textures and constrictions, and is likely to be less affected by social conventions. Watching the one crowd at Wrong Planet, and the other here, I see possibilities worth some research.

I do not know of any literature on the subject as such, though I suspect some studies exist.

But here is a piece I wrote for another site that has not yet made it online - a light treatment, but ir makes the points.

The Cleopatra Syndrome

There's no good reason you would be one of us, a member, card carrying or otherwise, of the Ancient and Bespectacled [well, I at least am astigmatic and dependent on my lenses, and if they in some eyes call into question the purity of my naturism, honi soit qui mal y pense] Order of Spectrals. But beng myself on the fringes of the Asperger spectrum, I am sensitized. I have noticed that many of us have texture and pressure sensitivities that make us less comfortable in clothes. And many of us have skewed and limited socialization that makes some of the social reasons for clothing less important.

I confess I have not made the surveys and run the statistics - but I suspect that if one of my colleagues does the work we will find that indeed the percentage of Spectrals inclined to get their kit off is somewhat higher than the percentage of neurotypicals with the urge.

I know it is not a simple correlation. MJ, while clearly a fringe Spectral herself, is extremely uncomfortable with nudity, and NN, a strong and serious naturist, has no more Asperger symptoms than I have extroversion.

And THAT says - listen up, you lot wondering what you will do for your PhD or MPhil - there is room, there is motivation for several really good studies. Talk it over with your advisor.

Oh - a quick survey - who got the Cleopatra reference?

Interesting stuff. I don't know that I have Asperger's but I definitely can relate to those who do. Aside from introversion, I've always been a little socially awkward (at least by what is considered "normal" social behavior--though that could be due to ~10 years of homeschooling) and never really minded being "different" from whatever other people consider "normal."

Wasn't Cleopatra bit on the breast by an asp? Other than that, I know she was a bit of a philanderess. That's the best I can do. :roll:
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:51 am

There are tests which can place you inside or outside the spectrum - some are sophisticated enough. If you are borderline like me - a possibility - it is an intriguing revelation, explaining years of interactions.

And in my case making mr very glad it was not known when my parents had me tested for autism - if they had been told the word I would have been "treated" for sure.

AND- you are the first to catch Cleopatra - asp - aspie
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Petros wrote:AND- you are the first to catch Cleopatra - asp - aspie

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Petros wrote:AND- you are the first to catch Cleopatra - asp - aspie

Har! Har! Wasn't thinking of that angle. Nice one.

I don't know how far one needs to be inside the spectrum, or at least flirting with it, but is that similar to having a predisposition for Asperger's, that is, if Asperger's is, indeed, a chip off the ol' autism block? I suppose one can have a predisposition for most anything but it seems to me, medically speaking, that to be predisposed means that there's some affect in the making. Just curious as it might answer a lot of my own questions about much of my own personality "quirks" and character.

And if I've not said it before, at least somewhere here in the Village, naturism is very therapeutic for me.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm

You could try this: https://aspergerly.com/aspergers-test/

For reference, taking it just now produced 37 for me.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:24 pm

Petros wrote:You could try this: https://aspergerly.com/aspergers-test/

For reference, taking it just now produced 37 for me.

Thanks Petros. For reference, I just took it and scored 34. However, I've already been professionally tested (and diagnosed) and this score didn't surprise me. Funny that there are no questions about nakedness, or at least questions regarding clothing.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:10 am

Neither the texture sensitivity or the willingness to be nude is felt to be diagnostic - some of the willingness to be nude is likely enough to be an aspect of the failure to get with some of the societal rules.

But sensory issues of various sorts do pattern with the spectrum.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:23 pm

For what it's worth, I scored 31.

However, questions about social interaction, conversation, etc. are things that I consider highly dependent on the individual with whom I'm speaking. There are some people I have no problem talking about any topic with, and some I just have a hard time talking with period (the people who never progress beyond "small talk"--maybe that says something about me?). I've also gotten better with social interactions since I've been in college.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 am

Maverick wrote:For what it's worth, I scored 31.

However, questions about social interaction, conversation, etc. are things that I consider highly dependent on the individual with whom I'm speaking. There are some people I have no problem talking about any topic with, and some I just have a hard time talking with period (the people who never progress beyond "small talk"--maybe that says something about me?). I've also gotten better with social interactions since I've been in college.

Am I sure I didn't write that? I always have problems with small talk people - I don't do a very good imitation. There is a short list of people I have never found difficult to interact with whom. I do fake it - not well, but better than in my young days.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:41 pm

I scored 40 on this test. Maybe that explains some things. I expect I could score differently a different day when I was in another mood.
Jim
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nude News