WSJ Naturist Article: You Can Leave Your Mask On

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

WSJ Naturist Article: You Can Leave Your Mask On

Postby Maverick » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:24 am

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-masks-nudist-resort-vacation-sandiego-reopen-coronavirus-11593705954

You Can Leave Your Mask On: Nudists Wear Just One Item in Covid Times
At some clothing-optional destinations, masks aren’t optional, presenting issues with tan lines and logistics. ‘We don’t have pockets.’

By Jennifer Levitz
July 2, 2020 12:09 pm ET

Empire Haven, a rustic vacation spot in the lush rolling hills of the Finger Lakes region of New York, has an enticing slogan: “Get away from it all. Your worries. Your cares...even your clothes.”

This year, the nudist resort is asking visitors to pack one item: a face mask.

“It’s a little bit odd,” concedes general manager Megan Robinson, “when that is the only part of the body that is clothed.”

Many clothing-optional destinations have flashed the news this summer that masks are not optional, causing some self examination from Jacumba, Calif., to the Cypress Cove Nudist Resort in Kissimmee, Fla.

“Hmmm,” Cypress Cove management mused in a recent Twitter post, “If you’re wearing a face mask, are you really nude?”

The nearly 300-acre resort, which includes a residential enclave, is requiring masks in most public areas, and Mary Alice Green, a nudist and retired school secretary who lives there year-round, admits it has taken some getting used to.

“That’s the strange part, having something on,” she says. “Because we like being without anything.”

Face coverings are not the only new features at nudist resorts, of course. Like other businesses trying to navigate the coronavirus pandemic, these spots have had to adopt all sorts of new policies to stay afloat. They have a lot of skin in the game.

The Solair Recreation League, an 86-year-old clothing-free resort and campground on 360 woodsy acres in northeastern Connecticut, pared down its social calendar. The “Red, White & Nude Parade” of decorated golf carts is still set to go on over the Fourth of July weekend, but a naked skeet shooting event was nixed because participants would be standing shoulder to shoulder. Nude shuffleboard is still allowed but a monitor sanitizes the discs between pushes. And the Naked Turtle Cafe is still only offering takeout.

Solair’s rule directing guests to wear masks in common areas when they can’t socially distance has chapped the occasional hide.

One problem: mask lines.

“The ‘no tan lines’ is one of the things that we sort of pride ourselves on,” says Ronna Krozy, a retired associate nursing professor and Solair regular.

She wears a mask, but another person called the resort office and said “they don’t want to wear one, it would ruin their suntan,” says Nancy Greenhouse, who sits on the board at Solair. Most people are on board with masks, though, she says, “we have had some pushback.”

The DeAnza Springs Resort, which is in eastern San Diego County, Calif., and bills itself as the largest clothing-optional resort in North America, restarted limited activities for small groups in April, including initially moving naked karaoke outdoors in the evenings. “It was a little bit chilly,” says marketing director Gary Holden.

DeAnza opened more fully in mid-June with rules requiring social distancing and face coverings. Dave Landman, the owner, set out to make masking-while-nude cool with a new ad he came up with over a martini. The ad features a presumably nude model—the photo is strategically edited—wearing a pink mask with the words, “The only tan line you’ll get here.”

Still, the mask is a particularly jarring accessory to the birthday suit.

“It’s weird, it’s really weird,” Mr. Landman says. “All of the sudden you’ve got people with masks on, which would be the last thing you would expect.”

Most people are complying, he says, even if some are grumbling under their breath.

“It’s my right to be nude,” he says, explaining the mind-set of some naysayers.

In Arizona, nudist Bev Price says she wears a mask when required but doesn’t care for them.

The retired schoolteacher has visited nudist resorts during the pandemic, including Shangri La Ranch, a clothing-optional resort in New River, about 45 minutes north of Phoenix.

Ms. Price kept her face uncovered there, while not getting too close to anyone.

“One of the things nudists are known for is the friendliness,” she says. “And you put a mask on, and you can’t share that friendliness as easily.”

She also believes being nude is a good way to ride out the pandemic, because in her view, sunshine and vitamin D help keep people healthy.

“What else do you think you get, but sunshine and vitamin D, if you run around in the nude?” she says.

Karen Gventer, who is 47 and on the clerical staff of a public-health agency in Southwestern Ontario, Canada recently made one of her twice-annual trips with her family to Bare Oaks Family Naturist Park, a nudist resort north of Toronto. New social-distancing signs abound. A popular nude volleyball tournament was switched to a badminton tournament since larger team sports aren’t ideal in a pandemic. Patrons are expected to have masks at the ready in case they go indoors or pass near other vacationers.

It has been a cultural shift for Ms. Gventer, who dresses down, entirely, at Bare Oaks.

“I have to remember to bring a mask with me because I don’t necessarily have it in a pocket,” she says, pointing out the obvious conundrum: “We don’t have pockets.”

Kayla Driscoll, a front-desk worker at Sunny Rest Resort, a “relaxed clothes-free resort” in the Poconos in Pennsylvania, gets a chuckle out of naked visitors toting nothing but a face covering.

“It is really funny,” she says. “They have to carry it with them and they are not carrying anything else.”

Down in Florida, Cypress Cove resident Ms. Green says she has always felt off-kilter if she went out of her house without her jewelry on. “If I don’t have my earrings on, I feel naked, even though I am naked,” she says.

Now, she’s getting somewhat that way with her mask. She has four simple ones, including a fabric one in a decorative pattern of wine glasses.

“A lady here in the park made it,” she says. “We’ve adapted. We enjoy the nudist lifestyle but we’re trying to be safe and cautious.”

Write to Jennifer Levitz at jennifer.levitz@wsj.com
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: WSJ Naturist Article: You Can Leave Your Mask On

Postby naturaldon » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:39 pm

I see this as no different from wearing footwear to protect our feet when we're in the natural way, though I myself prefer to go completely bare - feet and all - as you know! Or even wearing a hat to ward off sun and bugs. Still the mask is a pain and I remain neutral on the need.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:01 am

Mask use can be very dangerous to your health because of:
1) Reduced blood-oxygen levels leading to reduced mental clarity, lethargy, and reduced immunities. This condition, known as “hypoxia,” can cause persons to lose focus and make bad decisions which can be dangerous to others. People are already falling asleep and fainting when doing routine tasks while wearing masks. The result could range from physical injury to self or others due to inattentiveness all the way to a social tragedy such as a rushed inaccurate verdict rendered by an oxygen-deprived masked jury that was unable to fully focus on and comprehend evidence and arguments in a case.  The likelihood of viral infections increases with hypoxia because the body’s natural defenses are degraded.
2) Carbon-dioxide toxicity from reduced ability of body to expel carbon dioxide (a waste product from all cellular activity).
3) Moisture retention in lungs due to the mask’s retention of water vapor in the lungs. Moisture retention in lungs is a leading factor associated with pneumonia, bronchitis, viral and bacterial infections, asthma, and other respiratory ailments. Fluid build-up in the lungs can be very hard to treat and can result in death in serious cases of pneumonia and other ailments. If the lungs cannot take in dry air and expel humid air, then serious congestion may develop in the lungs.
4) Increased facial touching resulting in viral / bacterial spread. Persons who wear masks are five times more likely to touch their faces continually throughout the day. They continue to adjust the mask with their hands and touch their faces in the process.  It is widely known that repeatedly touching the face and touching other surfaces is a major cause of viral and bacterial spread. This increased spread of infection can go from either the mask wearer to others or from others to the wearer. Even if a person wears gloves and then touches his face and other surfaces, the result is the same.
5) More effort to breathe means additional respiratory distress especially with individuals who are tired, elderly, sick, or immunity compromised. Most legitimate medical efforts aimed at reducing respiratory ailments seek to improve the individual’s ability to breathe, not block it, impede it, or make it more labored.
Surgeon General. U.S. officials, including the Surgeon General of the United States, Jerome Adams, initially urged people to not buy and wear masks in an effort to protect themselves from COVID-19. In an interview, Adams said that wearing face masks could actually increase a person’s risk of contracting the coronavirus. “You can increase your risk of getting it by wearing a mask if you are not a health care provider,” Adams said. “Folks who don’t know how to wear them properly tend to touch their faces a lot and actually can increase the spread of coronavirus,” he added.  Although he later relented to public pressure, Surgeon General Jerome initially tweeted, “Seriously people – STOP BUYING MASKS! They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus.”
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:20 am

Yep, there's a lot of controversy about masking up. I haven't bought one, though I have a small collection of them from having to do hospital visits in the past. Church members have made me a few, too, but I don't use them (don't tell them that!). They made 'em in camo since they know I'm the outdoorsy type. I might use one for hunting this fall but I don't think deer and other critters I pursue are contagious. :roll:

I have worn my bandana to go into a business requiring a mask (Kansas City now has a requirement and while I disagree with it, I agree with the business wanting to stay in business). I know it's the least effective but it's the easiest to breathe with. Plus, I use a bandana often when working outside so I'm kind of used to one. And since I live on part of the old Jesse James farm (really, I do), it keeps to the character of who we are out here, though I don't agree with Jesse James either. :wink:

But when I'm in the natural state of things, I wear nothing, head to toe. THAT is the character of who I am out here. :D
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Good article from WSJ. I don't like masks, but have to wear one when a vendor at the farmers' market and while going in stores. If everyone did, many lives would be saved.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby NudeDude92 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 am

I refuse to wear one. Trusting a mask to stop a virus is like asking a sheet of printer paper to stop gamma rays. Or better yet hoping a net can catch a bullet. Herd immunity couple with a proven vaccine goes a lot further than a stupid mask. IMO, masking up is all for show. I refuse to cave to this mass hysteria. I've been quite healthy without it.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving probably isn't your sport.
NudeDude92
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 pm

NudeDude92 wrote:I refuse to wear one. Trusting a mask to stop a virus is like asking a sheet of printer paper to stop gamma rays. Or better yet hoping a net can catch a bullet. Herd immunity couple with a proven vaccine goes a lot further than a stupid mask. IMO, masking up is all for show. I refuse to cave to this mass hysteria. I've been quite healthy without it.

Most of the virus transfer is thought to be in droplets, not free virus particles. So, when you cough, sneeze, or shout, the mask catches most of these droplets so they don't infect others. You do it for others' health, not your own. It reduces the number of people who catch the virus when the infected person wears a mask. Many do not know they are infected and are infectious before any symptoms occur.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:50 pm

Posted on Facebook yesterday.

Just got back from taking my grandson to the Rockwall County Courthouse. I showed them my exemption card and was told they were required to give me a mask, but I was not require to wear it. The other officer told me that the "mandate" is not enforceable. I did not wear a mask. I was told "Wherever you go just show your card."
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:30 am

Has anyone considered having invasive surgery with the doctors and nurses not wearing masks, gowns, and gloves? Protection goes both ways, protect me from you and you from me. It would be scandelousy irresponsible for a surgon to skip a mask, probably get a repremand from the local medical board, and be sued for malpractice if any infections resulted. So, you are free to not wear a mask, catch the bug, and die. Just do not spread your bug to my wife or me.

Now my political opinion. We have a president who is in denial, claims to know more than the expert scientists and doctors, sees a hoax under every bush, calls other opinions lies, does not take the pandemic seriously, and has led the U.S. to be the laughing stock of the world. Now it is applied to the current health chrisis and all Trump does is to turn a deaf ear. All we can do is vote him out of office in November and wait for Biden to fix things in January. Hopefully we will still be alive by then. I have been a registered Republican for 50 years and I am ashamed of my party. I hope there is a landslide election against Trump in every state, county, and presinct nation-wide.

Anyone have a better suggestion?
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:42 am

Jim wrote:Good article from WSJ. I don't like masks, but have to wear one when a vendor at the farmers' market and while going in stores. If everyone did, many lives would be saved.

That though is the question. Except that fewer people will go places where you have to mask, what is the real effect? One source says 10% better chance, one says 73% better chance - where is the science behind them. And on the same page with the 73% estimate we read that the general public will NOT be allowed to use maslks that hasve tyested effective because there are so few ony the m,edicos can be allowed to have them.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:17 pm

There is so much information/misinformation concerning the wearing of masks. While I dislike wearing a mask I do so to enter places of business in order to help them comply with the governor's orders vs causing them to have to pay a fine and/or be closed down for violations of those orders. I simply wish the information put out for consumption were consistent and accurate. Just recently it was reported in the news by a television station in Orlando, Florida (saw it on the internet) lab results were highly inflated to make the actual numbers look much worse than they actually were. There was even an instance, again from Florida, where a 20 year old man who was killed in a motorcycle accident was reported as a Covid-19 death. How can we possibly trust anything when the numbers are so skewed, for whatever reason.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Return to Nude News