NEWS - Nude camping gives new meaning to 'fanny pack'

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

NEWS - Nude camping gives new meaning to 'fanny pack'

Postby natman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Nude camping gives new meaning to 'fanny pack'
[LINK TO ARTICLE]
By Ken Bailey
Outdoors Editor
HOPE (June 14):

Sunscreen and insect repellent are important items for a nude canoeist.
(Image courtesy of Nudist Resorts.org)

I have been an outdoor writer for nearly 30 years. During that time I have truly enjoyed spending time in the Maine outdoors and interviewing dozens of outstanding outdoorsmen and women. I have the best office in the world, and it has a fantastic view.

As an outdoor writer, I often get asked to test equipment, review outdoor books or visit some of Maine’s outdoor recreation hotspots. I must admit that testing a new fishing rod or lure, or conducting ballistics tests on new ammunition is interesting and often very educational.

In all my 30 years of covering the great outdoors, I have never had an offer like the one I was presented with this week. I received an e-mail from Marie (last name withheld) who works for a public relations firm, asking if I would be interested in conducting an interview and doing some research into a nationwide outdoor organization. At first I thought — why not?

Her letter began like this: “Across the country, buds are blossoming, bees are buzzing and everyone is eagerly anticipating those blissful summer days spent enjoying the great outdoors. Often times, though, in our congested cities and technology-focused lives, it can be difficult to really get in touch with nature. For those looking for a great way to unplug from cell phones and e-mail and reconnect with nature (and yourself) we have a solution.”

Her solution — clothing optional and clothes-free campgrounds and RV parks. Going nude — according to Marie — “is a way to escape the craziness of the city and return to nature, on many different levels.”

How many levels of nude are there? Maybe I do need to do some research.

Sunscreen and insect repellent are important items for a nude canoeist. (Image courtesy of Nudist Resorts.org)

OK, let’s just think about the possibilities of the nude camping and the nude outdoor experience.

If you are not wearing any clothes then you have nowhere to put your cell phone or credit cards. And — according to Marie — going for a skinny dip in a nearby stream, lake or pond is sure to leave you feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.

Then, she says, just imagine falling asleep in the nude, listening to the sounds of nature as you gaze up at a star-studded sky.

Here in Maine, the sounds of nature I would be concerned about under those star-studded skies would be the buzz of mosquitoes and black flies. These would not be the sounds I would relish if I were sleeping in the buff under a summer’s moonlit sky.

Running around the woods in Maine — in the nude — would offer just too many tender targets for biting insects. Another area of concern would be the care you would have to exercise when applying insect repellent. Use caution!

Hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping in the nude would give a new meaning to the use of a “fanny pack.”

Although I make light of this subject, the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR) is the largest organization of its kind. It is — according to the press release — “the authority on nude recreation and family social nudism, with nearly 50,000 individual members and 260 affiliated clubs.”

Marie asked if I wanted to arrange for an interview with an AANR member. I’m a little concerned about the interview. Is it face to face? Would I be able to maintain eye contact? Would it be a clothing-optional interview; and, if so, which option should I choose? If I took photos for the article, would I be able to run them in the paper or online? This is a family publication.

For those of you seeking a carefree, relaxing vacation experience, you can visit aanr.com to find a club or campground near you. Just remember to bring your insect repellent and sun screen.

I’m still trying to decide just how far to go with this interview. Stay tuned.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to Nude News