Fight Global Warming! Go Naked!

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Fight Global Warming! Go Naked!

Postby dby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 am

Okay, I will admit that this isn't what the article suggests, but it would seem to be a logical conclusion that less air conditioning is used by those with less clothing. Therefore, to use the least air conditioning - don't wear anything.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/06/dressing_down_fight_global_warming.php

Dressing Down to Fight Global Warming
by Jeremy Elton Jacquot, Los Angeles on 06.17.07
Business & Politics

Remember when your mother used to tell you to just put on an extra layer when you pleaded to have the heater raised? It seems as though China’s government has decided to adopt a similar logic to encourage lower power consumption: it has called for an easing of dress codes to minimize the use of air conditioning in its public buildings.

According to China Daily, the government hopes to make this one of the key steps in its broader “26°C” campaign to keep buildings no cooler than 26°C (79°F) during the summer. The campaign, which was started in 2005, applies to schools, office buildings, supermarkets, restaurants, government agencies and various other public structures. Implementing this plan would result in energy savings of approximately 300 million kilowatt-hours of electricity, according to People’s Daily Online.

Air conditioners typically account for 30% to 50% of office buildings’ energy consumption so any step taken to curtail their use would yield significant reductions in greenhouse gas emissions. "China is exploring a different way of controlling greenhouse gas emissions," said Wan Gang, the country's Minister of Science and Technology. "We will not follow the Western countries' way of high emissions first and then reduction."

The Chinese government is not alone in pursuing this new campaign. Japan has adopted a similar plan, dubbed “Cool Biz,” to encourage office workers to dress down and keep buildings no cooler than 28°C (82°F). In an attempt to drum up support for the initiative and set a positive example, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe recently instructed his cabinet members to wear shirts instead of the traditional business clothes.

Via ::Chinese Workers Told to Wear T-Shirts to Save Energy
dby
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Well. it's a start.

It would be interesting just how far they will relax dress codes, particuarly if, as the naysayers predict, we are in for major global warming.

This reminds me of a graphic that proves global warming...

SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:26 pm

For a moment, dby, I thought you might have posted an article about the World Naked Bike Ride! :lol: But I like the idea. I'd like it even more if they went several steps further--indeed, all the way to workplace nudity! :D
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:18 pm

Unfortunately, some people would rather wear their sweaty, smelly clothes than bare some skin.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby dby » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:38 pm

jochanaan wrote:For a moment, dby, I thought you might have posted an article about the World Naked Bike Ride! :lol:

Well, next Wednesday June 27th is "Bike To Work Day", but I'm not aware of anyone that is planning to participate naked.
dby
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:07 am

dby wrote:
jochanaan wrote:For a moment, dby, I thought you might have posted an article about the World Naked Bike Ride! :lol:

Well, next Wednesday June 27th is "Bike To Work Day", but I'm not aware of anyone that is planning to participate naked.

The WNBR was actually last weekend in Boulder. There was a Denver WNBR the week before, but the cops shut it down by the Convention Center. :cry:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Roy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:39 am

Unfortunately, in Northern Ireland, where I live, it helps fight Global warming if you wear extra clothes. Even in the summer, it is often too cool to go without clothes entirely. Turning the thernostat up for extra warmth is not a good idea in the present world climate. So, until this place becomes like Florida, we have a problem!

Roy
Jesus first
Roy
Native Resident

Postby Strandloper » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Hi, DBY –
yes, air-conditioning is a major cause of energy wastage, especially when it is so cool that you need to wear extra clothes.
Sometimes at work I need to wear a jacket or a hat just to get warm enough, although most of the time the aircon is fine for shirtsleeves.
The Development Bank of Southern Africa came up with an unusual solution. When the headquarters building was put up, it was decided that they would do without aircon, and instead have free-flow ventilation in the building. Windows were designed to be opened, and office desks were provided with paperweights so that papers would not blow away.
The staff adopted a more casual dress code from the start: the men don’t wear ties or jackets, and they tend to wear thick cotton shirts rather than thinner ones made of synthetics.
It is far from a nudist solution, but it is certainly more in tune with nature, and a first-class example to the people the bank deals with.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Aha! The old-fashioned way, before we had AC. I like it! :D
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Nude News