Inside Britain's secretive "Naked Village" - VIDEO

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Inside Britain's secretive "Naked Village" - VIDEO

Postby natman » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:32 pm

Inside Britain's secretive "Naked Village"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html
(If you click on the link, there is a video further down in the article.)

For our British members, The Naked Village will be shown on More 4 on December 11 at 9pm.
If you are able to watch it, please let us know what you think.

==================================================================================================
Could you bare to live here? Inside Britain's secretive naked village in the London commuter belt, where nudists have been stripping off for 85 years

Small community of nudists live in Spielplatz, Bricket Wood, Hertfordshire
Village, named after the German word for playground, was founded in 1929
Residents rely on deliveries of food and electrical appliances from outside
Their lifestyle is laid bare More4 documentary The Naked Village

A documentary exposing the lifestyle of a small community of naturists in a small village on London's commuter belt will be shown next month. Tina and Mark Yates (pictured above in the community's local pub) have been living in Spielplatz since visiting so that Mrs Yates could overcome body self-consciousness

Their lifestyle has been laid bare in a new documentary offering the outside world a glimpse into naturism.

Among those enjoying life in Spielplatz - which means playground in German - is Iseult ­Richardson, 82, whose father founded the community in 1929.

'There is no difference between naturists and people who live up the street,' she insisted.

'We all live normal lives but are just lucky enough to live in this extraordinary place.'

Properties in the village mainly comprise of two-bedroom bungalows which sell for £85,000, the Mirror reports.

The couple are among 34 home-owners who live permanently at the site that is a stone's throw from the M25

Everyday activities such as meal times and trips to the small, local pub are normally carried out in the nude

Wellington boots are reserved for gardening while residents can also choose to wear clothes if feeling chilly.
Vic Lightfoot, the club's financial director, has trouble persuading girlfriend Maggie (pictured left) to strip off

Mark Yates in the community's entertainment room while his wife Tina goes outside for a dip in the pool

George, another of the residents, relaxes in the living room of his bungalow. The properties cost £85,000

Residents also have the option to wear clothes if they want to when it is cold or they are doing daily chores

While residents prefer stripping off, they will adorn wellingtons, trousers or appropriate clothing when carrying out tasks like gardening.

Trips to their own local pub, swimming sessions and meal times are all performed in the nude.

Earlier this year one woman spoke of how life in the village cured her of body esteem issues.

Tina Yates was self-conscious of a scar on her abdomen following an operation, and was taken to Spielplatz by her naturist husband in the hope it may cheer her up.

Soon the pensioner had let go of all her previous body hang-ups, and the couple settled in permanently.

While those living behind its fences are free of inhibitions, tensions are fraught over an ongoing debate about whether to force visitors to bare all when they come to see family.

The Naked Village will be shown on More 4 on December 11 at 9pm.

Earlier this year residents posed in one of the gardens as Tina Yates (third from left) spoke of life together
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Inside Britain's secretive "Naked Village" - VIDEO

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:46 am

Great article on a perfect lifestyle, though I don't think forcing visitors to bare all, except to swim, should be up for discussion since even the residents don clothing when the feel the need. Now, to your question. Yes, I was able to view a brief teaser video, sort've the kind of thing shown on American TV to announce upcoming program. Hopefully, the blurred pixilation, strategically placed British flag and such will be dropped during the actual program to show all the "bits and pieces" of the people living there, basically to show nude is not lewd.

It'd be a great way of life for sure.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:07 am

Judging from the photos, it would seem that naturism is a past time only for old folks in the UK.
Were their kids raised naturist and no longer live in the area or have abandoned naturism?

Their climate is so cold, it seems amazing that anyone would be naturist there.
I guess it shows that naturism is more of a state of mind, a way of looking at life in regions where the weather rarely makes nudity possible.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:39 am

I lived in England for two years--compliments of the US Air Force. There is no such thing as summer weather there; you do well to get warm weather there. What I experienced there was a LOT of rain and thick fog. You've never really experienced fog until you've been to England. I noticed in the photos that many of the people looked old enough to be my dad or mom, and I'm 68.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:20 am

Yes, most of the people pictured did appear to be beyond middle-aged but so what? It just shows nudism/naturism is not just for the "beautiful young" people but can and should be celebrated by all. After all, as the article points out, the featured couple went there to help the wife get over her body issue(s), particularly a surgical scar.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 am

JoniMarc - where were you? In my span there, mostly based in London, there were warm days aplenty - some sweltering. Even in the north - one rather naty day near Blackpool, some balmy afternoons in Edinburgh.

In the south - less of the hot / cold Mississippi effects we get in Wisconsin, but a good few warmish times. But yes, there are issues if you insist on consistently sunny rain-free days.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:37 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:Yes, most of the people pictured did appear to be beyond middle-aged but so what?
Jim Shedd

Jim I am delighted for these older folks, but something is wrong if they are the only segment of society who participate in our way of life.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:06 am

Just a thought. the older folks are probably into retirement or at least close to it. That brings a bit of freedom from textile bosses who might choose not to promote or to actually get rid of us NUDIES! :shock: Once you are over the hill and the nest is empty, the reduced impact of repercussions allows more social freedom.

The phenomenon is exhibited by the Poem that relates to the founding of the "Red Hat Society" http://redhatsociety.com/

Warning
by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:18 am

Lovely poem. I constantly read wailings about the greying of nudism. Although I discovered the joy of being naked in my teens and have been happy to wear the label naturist since then - now thirty plus years on, I am not disturbed that the vast majority of nudists fall in the over 60 demographic. There is a steady supply of aging people, so as long as they reach that point where they choose to "wear purple", I'm not concerned about nudism.

And if you visit large public clothing optional beaches, such as Haulover or Gunnison, you'll see that there is a decent mix of younger folks.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Just a thought. the older folks are probably into retirement or at least close to it. That brings a bit of freedom from textile bosses who might choose not to promote or to actually get rid of us NUDIES! :shock: Once you are over the hill and the nest is empty, the reduced impact of repercussions allows more social freedom.

The phenomenon is exhibited by the Poem that relates to the founding of the "Red Hat Society" http://redhatsociety.com/

Warning
by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.
Okay, since you posted that one I have to post one I wrote and modeled after it:

"When I am an old man
I shall wear nothing
or a hat in the heat
or a kilt in the cold
I shall stand naked on the streets
and talk openly of politics
Jesus
and the death of capitalism
I shall talk in parables
that become brain worms
but mostly
I shall talk through my flute
like Ava with her Piano
when I am an old man
wearing nothing"

(Slightly edited for this group)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:32 am

Ava?

citation / explication if not classified.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 am

The statistics on how many of the folks who are card-carrying nudists and happen to be over 60 may not tell the whole story. What about those who lost their card or never bought into the nudist club lifestyle?
I suppose a good many of the seniors have been naturist/nudist since their youth. There does appear to be a cultural shift such that many people will not discover naturism until they are seniors (if ever).

Jasen's point about the beach demographics is worth noting. There is a new counter-culture emerging that has potential for going nudist in many individuals. It seems to have skipped over many of the Gen X'ers to the present crop of 20-somethings. They have more in common with their "hippie" grandparents than their parents do.

I am not concerned for nudism as much as I am for those who wait nearly a lifetime to find their freedom. It seems like a lot of wasted potential to me! I have heard it said that youth is wasted on the young. Not always, but too often perhaps.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:46 am

Petros wrote:Ava?

citation / explication if not classified.
From the movie "The Piano", one of my favorites. Ava is the protagonist, a woman who chooses (for a reason explained in the movie) not to speak but only to communicate through playing the piano.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby jochanaan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:48 am

Ramblinman wrote:...I am not concerned for nudism as much as I am for those who wait nearly a lifetime to find their freedom. It seems like a lot of wasted potential to me! I have heard it said that youth is wasted on the young. Not always, but too often perhaps.

:like:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby JimShedd112 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:59 pm

It certainly took me far too long to discover the joy of nakedness. As I've stated before I wish I'd discovered nudism/naturism at an early age then introduced my wife and our children to this wonderful way of life so all could and would live as nudists now.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nude News