NEWS-Grinnell College has new (nude) student group

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

NEWS-Grinnell College has new (nude) student group

Postby natman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Grinnudists strip away clothing, sexual attitudes
http://www.thesandb.com/features/grinnu ... tudes.html
11 December 2014
By Alosha Southern (southern17@grinnell.edu)

There’s a new student organization on campus that provides a clothing-optional space for Grinnellians to interact. The club, called Grinnudists, was founded by Adam Arsenault ’16, Reba Brooks ’17 and Isabel Cooke ’16 and has held two meetings so far, the first of which was a fully clothed information session and the other was the club’s first foray into nudity.

“We’re a group of people who don’t like the sexual connotation nudity has that Western society has forced on us,” Arsenault said. “We’re trying to reclaim a perfectly natural state of being by engaging in nonsexual interactions with other naked people.”

Thus far, the clothing-optional meetings have been a space for students to do homework, play board games or just hang out in whatever state of undress they prefer.

“We see ourselves as a body positivity thing rather than a nudist club because the term nudist has some weird connotations for some people. It’s not a thing that you have to be naked to do, it’s more about being able to accept various states of undress in yourself and other people,” Cooke said.

While they had some qualms about how their vision for the first clothing-optional meeting would translate into reality, the founders were thrilled with the turnout.

“I was very worried that there were going to be people coming into the space with attitudes that were less than conducive to people’s comfort, but everyone was there for the right reasons,” Arsenault said.

Brooks concurred, responding to the difficulty of creating a nonsexual space for students to be fully or partially undressed in the context of the college environment.

“I [had concerns] at first, but Grinnell is a wonderful, self-gov place and everyone has been superbly great about respecting boundaries and being generally awesome,” she wrote in an email to The S&B.

“It was really great. We had a lot of fun and the vibe in the room was so positive. It felt kind of utopian,” Cooke said.

In order to ensure the privacy and safety of its membership, Grinnudists does not publicize its meeting location information.

“We want to make sure people are on the same page as us before there’s any nudity involved to keep it as a safe space,” Cooke said.

“I am worried about keeping our meetings on the down-low, but if we get the room officially reserved that won’t be a problem anymore,” Brooks said.

As the club expands, its founders say they aspire to engage in more formal discussions amongst themselves and with the campus community at large about bodies and body positivity. They also hope to receive institutional recognition from the College. Brooks and Cooke have already unsuccessfully filed two OrgSync applications for Grinnudists.

“We’re planning on talking to someone in SGA and figuring out why that’s the case. We don’t want to be discriminated against just because we’re outside of the norm for what you might think of as a student group,” Cooke said.

Students interested in attending future meetings should email [arsenaul], [brooksre] or [cookeisa] for more information on Grinnudists and its activities.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: NEWS-Grinnell College has new (nude) student group

Postby jochanaan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:31 pm

:like: :like:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby jasenj1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:31 pm

And I hope AANR, TNS, and whatever the closest resort is contacts these folks and offers them lots of encouragement and discounts.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby nudist2011 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:07 am

I give the students a rating of :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:

Fred
I'm a Methodist nudist. Became a nudist April 6, 2011
nudist2011
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:23 am

I cannot agree more. I so hope this group will be successful and will receive the school's recognition as a legitimate organization. I'm so glad to see young people so actively stepping up to lead the nudist movement forward. And, yes, they should receive recognition and support from AANR, TNS, and others.

Fred, I too give the student innumerable thumbs up.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:05 am

jasenj1 wrote:And I hope AANR, TNS, and whatever the closest resort is contacts these folks and offers them lots of encouragement and discounts.

According to AANR, 2 hours 14 minutes (148 miles) east of Grinnell College, in Erie, Illinois lies the nearest nudist resort to the campus: Blue Lake Resort

There are no nudist camps or resorts in the entire state of Iowa, just two non-landed clubs, one of which is couples only.

Maybe these young people can change that sad statistic.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
jasenj1 wrote:And I hope AANR, TNS, and whatever the closest resort is contacts these folks and offers them lots of encouragement and discounts.

According to AANR, 2 hours 14 minutes (148 miles) east of Grinnell College, in Erie, Illinois lies the nearest nudist resort to the campus: Blue Lake Resort

It may be known as the "Blue Lake Nudist Resort", but this time of year, it is probably called the Blue Nudist Lake Resort (by those who attempt to swim in the lake. :biggrin:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:27 pm

So has any official of AANR, TNS, CNV, NC notified Blue Lake of this opportunity????
I suppose anyone could, but a more official notification would maybe carry more weight and be more likely to gather the attention of Blue Lake Management. It would also be an opportunity for Blue Lake acting in Concert with AANR to offer this new group a speaker. In the event of early good weather they could possibly even offer a low cost alternative to spring break, especially if Blue Lake has significant indoor facilities. Likewise Blue Lake could offer the student group a source of fund raising by making available week passes of various duration for the student organization to raffle to its members.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:So has any official of AANR, TNS, CNV, NC notified Blue Lake of this opportunity????
I suppose anyone could, but a more official notification would maybe carry more weight and be more likely to gather the attention of Blue Lake Management. It would also be an opportunity for Blue Lake acting in Concert with AANR to offer this new group a speaker. In the event of early good weather they could possibly even offer a low cost alternative to spring break, especially if Blue Lake has significant indoor facilities. Likewise Blue Lake could offer the student group a source of fund raising by making available week passes of various duration for the student organization to raffle to its members.

I wrote Carolyn Hawkins with AANR, sending her a link to the article
http://www.thesandb.com/features/grinnu ... tudes.html
and suggested that she consider contacting Blue Lake in the hope that they will reach out to the students.
Blue Lake is only open to couples and families, but will they make an exception for students in this club?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Ramblinman wrote:...Blue Lake is only open to couples and families, but will they make an exception for students in this club?
Maybe they could start a program with their current families called "Adopt a College Student Naturist" :D
---------------
Actually that might not be a bad idea for other naturist resorts and families. I will have to think about that.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 am

Bare_Truth wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:...Blue Lake is only open to couples and families, but will they make an exception for students in this club?
Maybe they could start a program with their current families called "Adopt a College Student Naturist" :D
---------------
Actually that might not be a bad idea for other naturist resorts and families. I will have to think about that.

Excellent idea!
Instead of thinking of ways to keep people out of resorts, why not find a way to include young singles, while maintaining the family atmosphere? What you propose should accomplish this!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:05 am

So does anyone on this forum actually have enough connection with any of the organizations in question to float a real proposal?
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:41 am

jasenj1 wrote:So does anyone on this forum actually have enough connection with any of the organizations in question to float a real proposal?

My credentials:
1. I am a lapsed AANR member (waiting on personal finances to improve before rejoining)
2. One of my relatives used to live in Iowa
3. I passed through Illinois once a long time ago
4. I can pass along other people's brilliant ideas with most of the information intact when I tell someone else.

So... that should be good enough, right?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 am

jasenj1 wrote:So does anyone on this forum actually have enough connection with any of the organizations in question to float a real proposal?
I hope so.
I would like to think that the naturist community was eager to advocate for our interests in an easy low key way, whenever we can.
But I do not see myself as being connected enough or with enough status to know who's ear to take it to.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Meanwhile, we can - should - pray. Unless those involved are tied to the licenced to whine communities, they will surely be prime targets.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nude News