Concerned Citizens Group challenges nude beach

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Concerned Citizens Group challenges nude beach

Postby jasenj1 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:02 am

http://www.bdlive.co.za/national/article511319.ece

In an official request to the municipality last month, senior investigator V Sikhakhane said the Concerned Citizens Group approached the public protector with an allegation that the South African National Naturists Association’s application to declare the 250m sandy stretch near Mpenjati Nature Reserve a legal nudist beach was not dealt with adequately.

The group’s chairman Reverend Mike Effanga, who claimed to represent 30 churches and thousands of church members in towns along the province’s South Coast, complained that the municipality failed to consult with communities who would be affected by the decision.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Re: Concerned Citizens Group challenges nude beach

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:49 am

Typical overreaction in the name of Christ. I find it ironic some complained of "drooping boobs and buttocks." Does it mean if all were firm, young nubiles they'd be acceptably nude on the beach?

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 am

That is consistent with what I have seen. One of the first things many missionaries do is to teach that nudity is wrong. I have seen it on mission trips. I have even seen them talk to young children, telling them to put clothes on. It seems to be the culture of the missionaries is more important than the truth of the Gospel.

In Him
Ron :cross:
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Sat May 14, 2016 1:53 pm

I once told my congregation that "when missionaries forced clothing on formerly "naked Savages" they created, not Christians, but sweaty heathens. The proper thing for them to do would have been to take off their own clothes and share with them the message of the love and forgiveness of Jesus, as equals." Better naked Christians than sweaty heathens.
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun May 15, 2016 7:54 am

nakedpreacher wrote:I once told my congregation that "when missionaries forced clothing on formerly "naked Savages" they created, not Christians, but sweaty heathens. The proper thing for them to do would have been to take off their own clothes and share with them the message of the love and forgiveness of Jesus, as equals." Better naked Christians than sweaty heathens.

Amen. The Christians would be a lot less sweaty too! :lol:

I have read an account of at least one group of missionaries somewhere in Africa who did not enforce the "missionary culture" and clothes on the tribe they ministered to. A young woman in the tribe accepted Christ as her Savior and went to work with the missionaries as an aide. The thing was, she detested wearing clothes, so she did everything naked. The missionaries themselves didn't complain, but there was some surprise from other missionaries who came to visit!
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri May 20, 2016 2:34 am

nakedpreacher wrote:I once told my congregation that "when missionaries forced clothing on formerly "naked Savages" they created, not Christians, but sweaty heathens. The proper thing for them to do would have been to take off their own clothes and share with them the message of the love and forgiveness of Jesus, as equals." Better naked Christians than sweaty heathens.

Nakedpreacher: Please "drop the other shoe", Please tell us about the various reactions that comment got? I can not imagine what the scope of comments you must have gotten :shock: , unless you were preaching to a congregation of naturists :lol: .
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 am

Maverick wrote:

Amen. The Christians would be a lot less sweaty too! :lol:

I have read an account of at least one group of missionaries somewhere in Africa who did not enforce the "missionary culture" and clothes on the tribe they ministered to. A young woman in the tribe accepted Christ as her Savior and went to work with the missionaries as an aide. The thing was, she detested wearing clothes, so she did everything naked. The missionaries themselves didn't complain, but there was some surprise from other missionaries who came to visit!

Any idea where? I am not aware of any part of Africa where nudity is the traditional norm for women, particularly after centuries of pushing West European dress. Topless, some places, very likely. Unless we take it that she expressed liberty in Christ by dropping local clothing traditions as well.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 am

There was really no comment from the congregation, they were not ones to comment (at least to me, though I often heard comments about the former pastor, so I'm sure the one who followed me got an earful). It was not a naturists congregation (though I can dream to someday pastor a naturists church). Celsius, I think when people referred to "naked savages" they were naked only by American or European standards. Wearing much less clothing than the missionaries were expected to. I have heard that on Mindoro, the Philippines, there are areas where people wear no clothing whatsoever and mistrust anyone who wears clothes (came across it in a travel blog). I have a friend who is a missionary in the tribal areas of Mindoro and thought of joining him on a missionary hike into these areas but it never came to be. When I used this as an illustration, it was in the proverbial sense. I was illustrating how we preach culture instead of scripture too often. To clothe them was to civilize them, to civilize them was to save their souls. I would like to see a world where Christianity does not destroy culture but instead transforms it. Think of the wonderful and beautiful variations of Christianity that could be expressed through different cultures around the world.
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri May 20, 2016 1:06 pm

Right - and obviously the beach protesters have been properly civilized.

Mindoro and the Yahgan, maybe some othrs, but as you say nudity generally is relative - which is why I had to query
A young woman in the tribe accepted Christ as her Savior and went to work with the missionaries as an aide. The thing was, she detested wearing clothes, so she did everything naked.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:28 am

Petros wrote:
Maverick wrote:I have read an account of at least one group of missionaries somewhere in Africa who did not enforce the "missionary culture" and clothes on the tribe they ministered to. A young woman in the tribe accepted Christ as her Savior and went to work with the missionaries as an aide. The thing was, she detested wearing clothes, so she did everything naked. The missionaries themselves didn't complain, but there was some surprise from other missionaries who came to visit!

Any idea where? I am not aware of any part of Africa where nudity is the traditional norm for women, particularly after centuries of pushing West European dress. Topless, some places, very likely. Unless we take it that she expressed liberty in Christ by dropping local clothing traditions as well.

Petros, I know for a fact that I read this in a book that compiled missionary stories; I can't seem to find the book though. I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere. If and when I do find it, I'll update it here. I am pretty sure this took place in Africa.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 am

Petros wrote:Right - and obviously the beach protesters have been properly civilized.

Mindoro and the Yahgan, maybe some othrs, but as you say nudity generally is relative - which is why I had to query
A young woman in the tribe accepted Christ as her Savior and went to work with the missionaries as an aide. The thing was, she detested wearing clothes, so she did everything naked.

I tried Google; the problem is, there are other things that come up when you type in "missionary" in this context. :shock:
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue May 31, 2016 12:54 pm

I know of a young woman from college who went to Malawi, Africa.
Prior to leaving she got a printout on how to fit in culturally.
Tops were optional for women and it was customary for them to be nude from the waist up.
But missionary skirts must be knee-length or longer as locals considered it a great offense for a woman to show any portion of the thigh.
This missionary lady was so blonde and pale, I don't know how she managed that Malawi sun.
I suppose she may have worn sun block. Of course, not a problem for the dark local girls.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue May 31, 2016 6:11 pm

When was that? Don't know about Malawi, but that would not have flown in Kenya, where - at least in town and likely in most of the south - white women were expected to be decent. Beaches may well have been different, but I was never there.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Many years ago I heard a story about the Queen visiting an African village. Apparently on prior visits the local women were topless and someone thought the Queen would be offended if she were exposed to that again, so someone put the word out for a change. This time when the Queen went by the women were told to pick up the hem of the skirt and cover their top half. Apparently the Queen took it all in stride at seeing the unintended consequences.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Return to Nude News