Nudity – Therapy for Autism?

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Nudity – Therapy for Autism?

Postby Maverick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Petros wrote:
Maverick wrote:For what it's worth, I scored 31.

However, questions about social interaction, conversation, etc. are things that I consider highly dependent on the individual with whom I'm speaking. There are some people I have no problem talking about any topic with, and some I just have a hard time talking with period (the people who never progress beyond "small talk"--maybe that says something about me?). I've also gotten better with social interactions since I've been in college.

Am I sure I didn't write that? I always have problems with small talk people - I don't do a very good imitation. There is a short list of people I have never found difficult to interact with whom. I do fake it - not well, but better than in my young days.

I think we're kindred spirits, Brother Petros. :)

Tell me if this also sounds like you. I used to avoid (and admittedly, still sometimes avoid) talking to certain people who will never progress beyond small talk, or only talk about topics that I have no interest in, like sports. Sports talk might fall into the small-talk category, I don't know. If I must engage in such a conversation, I "fake it 'til I make it."

Then there are the people I don't know well who act like they've known me all my life and "interrogate" me about my life and such. In my mind, they are nearly complete strangers to whom I don't care to disclose all my personal business. These people tend to consider everyone they've ever talked to for more than five minutes a friend while I consider everyone I haven't spent at least a good couple weeks around an acquaintance at best.

I am not anti-social or anti-conversation, but I prefer a meaningful exchange to the exchange of empty platitudes. I try to be kind to all but some people rub me the wrong way through what I consider equally inept sociability. I'd almost always prefer to sit or stand back and listen to someone else talk to me than for me to be answering a barrage of questions with a bevy of explanations. Though I write a lot on this forum I tend to be quiet in social settings unless I have something important to say. Even then, I try to ensure that my words are "aptly spoken... like apples of gold in a setting of silver" (Prov. 25:11, ESV).

Now I step down off the soapbox.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 am

Jim wrote:I scored 40 on this test. Maybe that explains some things. I expect I could score differently a different day when I was in another mood.

That kind of test is always situational - there are tests where I alternate between two categories each time I take it. You might do it a few times till you get a feel for where you are.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 am

Maverick - oh, yes, quite recognizable. Used to be, trapped next to a small talker on a plane, when asked what do I do, "At the university" If it went to "What in?" I answered "Languages." If the next line was "What languages?" - then I pulled the trigger. "African languages." They always left me alone after that - small talkers could never find a way to proceed.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Languages? My story; while looking for a job after graduating from college I was at an employment agency that dealt more with clerical rather than engineering jobs. I decided that as long as I was there I would fill out the application anyway just to see what would happen, who knows, a miracle might occur. One of the questions was about what foreign languages you know. I just put down Fortran. The outcome was interesting; "Oh, Fortran, how nice." Never heard from that agency again.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:55 am

I wonder, did someone look up Fortran?

THAT reminds me - my dad dealt with ancient records written on clay. Once his professor was shipping home a package of these tablets - and the customs people needed to know what condition they cured.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 am

New_Adventurer wrote:I just put down Fortran. The outcome was interesting; "Oh, Fortran, how nice." Never heard from that agency again.

I've used Fortran a long long time ago.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Petros wrote:THAT reminds me - my dad dealt with ancient records written on clay. Once his professor was shipping home a package of these tablets - and the customs people needed to know what condition they cured.

They cure ignorance, in more ways than one. :lol:

bn2bnude wrote:
New_Adventurer wrote:I just put down Fortran. The outcome was interesting; "Oh, Fortran, how nice." Never heard from that agency again.

I've used Fortran a long long time ago.

Apparently Fortran is still in use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#Fortran_2015
Who knew?
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Maverick wrote:Apparently Fortran is still in use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#Fortran_2015
Who knew?

In my experience, old programming languages just change to be unrecognizable.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 am

Yes, Fortran is still in use, although it has been updated to reflect current constructs found in other languages. Once written, always working, with a few key elements of FORTRAN-II that were demoted and removed. I do not recall what they were off-hand. I learned IBM FORTRAN-IV in college, then HP FORTRAN-II at Hughes Aircraft, then HP FORTRAN-IV at Applied Technology, then FORTRAN-4X, FORTRAN-66, and FORTRAN-77. Then I got laid off and went to Singer and used Interdata FORTRAN-5. I quit that job and have not used it since. Along the way I also had to learn such things as CMS-II, C, C++, BASIC, Snobol, Algol, three different assembly languages, VEE, and a bunch of others. The mnemonic FORTRAN got demoted and is now recognized as a noun, Fortran, for current versions. I am not sure if the demotion applies to -77 and earlier versions.

Sometimes I have gotten so tied up in a piece of software that I felt like I was going Autistic too. It is a true obsession.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 am

I did some Fortran and Basic, not very far but enough to produce some routines useful in my work. My dad urged me to get into Snobol, which he was using - his field and mine being related - but I never had the time and space. Ah, to be young again, trying not to drop the stack of cards I just punched as I wait my turn to put them in the card reader!
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Petros wrote:I did some Fortran and Basic, not very far but enough to produce some routines useful in my work. My dad urged me to get into Snobol, which he was using - his field and mine being related - but I never had the time and space. Ah, to be young again, trying not to drop the stack of cards I just punched as I wait my turn to put them in the card reader!

I don't know about Fortran or any of the older programming languages, but these days with languages like Java and Python it's pretty easy to whip up a program that does pretty cool stuff. In one of my localization classes I wrote several text-parsing programs for training machine translation engines, dumped millions of words of dirty text data in, and had it fairly clean on output. My classmates asked, "How do you write programs like that?" I answered, "I'm an IT student, it's what I do."

So, those of us who can code are pretty cool in the eyes of the younger generations.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Maverick wrote:So, those of us who can code are pretty cool in the eyes of the younger generations.

Did someone say CODE?! That can only mean one thing to those of us who are starting to age out of decent health. So you younger guys think it's cool when I CODE, hmmm, Mav? :lol:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:46 am

Code? That is just the last step in a long process. Conceive, specify, specifications, review, preliminary design, review, detailed design, review, hardware and software trade offs, hardware spec, software spec, data sources, data destination, data types, data lengths, data conflicts, reviews, code, management review (approval by people who do not understand), over budget, over due, test, fix, test again, fix again, change a few paradigms, re-scope, re-design, re-code, re-test, fix a few stupid mistakes, retest again, document, and finally, one day they shoot the engineers and ship the product. Yea, I know how to code, but I also know how to design, develop, sell, and support software products too. Also, the sooner you start to do the coding, the longer it will take.

Now they term code is used in the context of being the whole process, it is not. Coding is just one step. It is like saying that because you can hold a wrench you are also a mechanic.

Along the same line, about 40 years ago I saw a cartoon that illustrates the point quite well. It showed a dark and dirty saloon, spider webs hanging from the ceiling, a spittoon, chairs and tables askew, a cowboy in dirty and tattered clothes leaning over the bar, and a clean crisp neat cowboy standing at attention. The caption was, "I can see from your clothes that you are a cowboy." Who was speaking is left to your imagination.

The other thing I heard 45 years ago was the stages of a project:
Enthusiasm
Dillusion
Search for the guilty
Punishment of the innocent
Praise for the uninvolved
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:23 pm

naturaldon wrote:
Maverick wrote:So, those of us who can code are pretty cool in the eyes of the younger generations.

Did someone say CODE?! That can only mean one thing to those of us who are starting to age out of decent health. So you younger guys think it's cool when I CODE, hmmm, Mav? :lol:

I admit I had to consult Urban Dictionary (not the most savory source) for an alternate meaning to "code" and I found this:

A medical term/slang for a patient who is about to go in cardiac arrest or respiratory arrest.

It is derived from a shorter way of saying "Code Blue" in hospitals.

So, if that's what you mean by "code," then no, we younguns don't think it's cool when you geezers code. :) :lol:

New_Adventurer wrote:Code? That is just the last step in a long process. Conceive, specify, specifications, review, preliminary design, review, detailed design, review, hardware and software trade offs, hardware spec, software spec, data sources, data destination, data types, data lengths, data conflicts, reviews, code, management review (approval by people who do not understand), over budget, over due, test, fix, test again, fix again, change a few paradigms, re-scope, re-design, re-code, re-test, fix a few stupid mistakes, retest again, document, and finally, one day they shoot the engineers and ship the product. Yea, I know how to code, but I also know how to design, develop, sell, and support software products too. Also, the sooner you start to do the coding, the longer it will take.

Yes, I get that. I was simply speaking in the context of writing small programs (maybe called scripts?) that need no specifications, prelim designs, etc. I did get a taste of the analysis and design process last year in college and I actually enjoyed it. However, I did learn that the whole process could be summed up this way:

projects.png
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:35 pm

Code. Don't forget morse. Of course you need a translator for that too. LOL
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Nude News