All-female Lord of The Flies remake

HOT OFF THE PRESSES - Recent news articles from around the world dealing with naturism, Christianity or Christian-naturism. If you post an original article, please see the Sticky Note for how to do it within copyright regulations.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

All-female Lord of The Flies remake

Postby Maverick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:45 pm

From The Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/31/all-female-lord-flies-remake-faces-backlash-misses-point-women/

All-female Lord of The Flies remake faces backlash as it 'misses the point' and 'women wouldn't act like that'
By Helena Horton
31 August 2017 • 9:15am

There is to be a new Lord of The Flies film with a twist - all the people stranded on the island will be female.

The adaptation of William Golding’s 1954 novel has faced backlash on social media as critics have accused it of "missing the point".

Others have slammed the remake for being written about women, but by two men.

Deadline reports that the male US film-making team of Scott McGehee and Evan Siegel has signed a team with Warner Bros to create the remake.

Mr McGehee said they were “taking the opportunity to tell it in a way it hasn’t been told before, with girls rather than boys, [which] shifts things in a way that might help people see the story anew.”

Some have voiced irritation that the remake is being written by two men:

Feminist writer Roxane Gay commented that "the plot of that book wouldn't happen with all women".

In the book, boys stranded on a desert island try to create order and peace while they wait to be rescued, but they eventually turn to violence and murder.

Some have said the book is about "toxic masculinity" and therefore would not make sense with a female cast.

One critic wrote: "The female-led Lord of the Flies wouldn't ever happen because women would just branch off into their own respective groups peacefully".

The author said he made his book all-male because a group of men can be boiled down to be representative of society in a way that women, in his opinion, cannot. He said: “I think women are foolish to pretend they’re equal to men – they’re far superior, and always have been.

"But one thing you can not do with them is take a bunch of them and boil them down into a set of little girls who would then become a kind of image of civilisation, or society. That’s another reason why they aren’t little girls.”

However, Mr McGehee told Deadline that the film adaptation hopes to challenge "conventions, the ways we think of boys and aggression."

Mr Siegel said: “It is a timeless story that is especially relevant today, with the interpersonal conflicts and bullying, and the idea of children forming a society and replicating the behavior they saw in grownups before they were marooned.”
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Re: All-female Lord of The Flies remake

Postby Maverick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:48 pm

I posted this because, for those of us who haven't read Lord of the Flies, there is non-sexual nudity among the boys on the island. I have to wonder if a female remake would also feature non-sexual nudity in the same way.

Also, I'm left wondering, is this going to be an "all-girls" remake (as in, starring girls the same ages as the boys in the book) or an "all-women" remake?

Feminism and "toxic masculinity" aside, what are y'all's thoughts? (Yes, y'all's is a double contraction we Texans use!)
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:39 pm

I've read the book. Excellent, and keep it in my office at church. Have also seen all the movies. The original B&W movie is the best I think, not because of the nudity and definitely not because of the acting, but because of the more dramatic transformation of the boys. And I like the B&W genre. But the book is best.

As for a female version, I don't think it can be as effectively done since male and female behaviors are so different. Basically, boys can fight one minute and be friends again the next. Not gals. I think a female version of the movie would stretch the male/female behavioral realities.

By the way, not sure that this movie has been mentioned but White Squall is excellent. No nakedness except boys butts. If you like stories about young men "coming of age," this one's a winner. But one scene is hard to watch - it was a little much for my wife. Well filmed and a music score that is phenomenal.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:18 pm

I'll just leave this here.

As I recall, the original movie version had lots of nudity. The recent remake removed it all - to the detriment of the story & commentary on civilization the book makes.

I really can't see an all female version working in any way. Either:
1. It will have lots of nudity and people will complain about the sexualization of young women/girls. And it will get an NC-17 rating.
2. It won't have any nudity and people will complain about the whitewashing & political correctness.
3. It will have very carefully crafted nudity designed to fit within some rating and will be obviously forced.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Jasen, thanks for posting the article. I couldn't agree more with the writer. And his take on a female Piggy being called the Sow-Goddess is hilarious.

It's no surprise that 'Hollywood' is taking the lead, again, to school the masses with their omniscience of gender issues. The statement they'll make on this will be critiqued, reviewed, and analyzed to death so as to normalize feminization of boys, masculinization of girls, transgenderism, asexuality, pansexuality, and any number of other gender issues forced upon the unsuspecting and suspecting world by the LGBTQAPXYZ mob. As the author said at the end, "Both of which points are the exact opposite of the ones that Golding was making in his enduring masterpiece."

I predict the following in the script:

1. The ship's captain, a man, will be portrayed as an inept fool, kind of like most commercials do, thus imperiling the gals.
2. There will be no nudity (the last remake of LOTF had no nudity) but there will be wet tee shirt cat fights.
4. The girls will speak (or rather yell, argue, scream, hiss, etc.) regardless of who holds the conch (actually, it will be a coconut because a wild conch is yucky).
3. Miss Piggy will be bullied until she commits suicide - that will be one of the many contemporary statements Hollywood will attempt to make.
5. And the 1st responder at the end will a 36-24-36 babe with a steely jaw.

Regardless of what they do, it will never be as gold as Golding's literary masterpiece nor the original LOTF flick.

That's the masculine, conservative, Christian view from here.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:16 am

Since nudity in the original film and the book was used to show the collapse of civilization, it strikes me as one of the more anti-naturist stories one could watch (or read).
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jasenj1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:35 am

Ramblinman wrote:Since nudity in the original film and the book was used to show the collapse of civilization, it strikes me as one of the more anti-naturist stories one could watch (or read).

I must admit to never reading the book, and it's been a LONG time since I've seen the 1950s move, but I recall that the message I got was that some things we think of as "civilized" are not so, and some things we consider "barbaric" are not so. It was more than just about the collapse of civilization, but about juxtaposing things that are valued and things that are shunned. e.g. Clothes are "vital" to civilization, but really they have nothing to do with the cruelty in men's hearts. A naked "savage" can be more kind than a clothed "sophisticated" person.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Maybe we can judge better after some of us have seen it? But I do wish they keep the non-sexual nudity.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:23 pm

jasenj1 wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Since nudity in the original film and the book was used to show the collapse of civilization, it strikes me as one of the more anti-naturist stories one could watch (or read).

I must admit to never reading the book, and it's been a LONG time since I've seen the 1950s move, but I recall that the message I got was that some things we think of as "civilized" are not so, and some things we consider "barbaric" are not so. It was more than just about the collapse of civilization, but about juxtaposing things that are valued and things that are shunned. e.g. Clothes are "vital" to civilization, but really they have nothing to do with the cruelty in men's hearts. A naked "savage" can be more kind than a clothed "sophisticated" person.

That's pretty much the vibe I got from reading the book. It isn't very long, so if you wanted to read it Jasen, you could probably do it over a weekend--or even a day. The nudity is (I thought) treated merely as a state of being, neither good nor bad.

Jim wrote:Maybe we can judge better after some of us have seen it? But I do wish they keep the non-sexual nudity.

I have a feeling they won't, but we'll see. If there is non-sexual nudity, it may be "artfully done," or the lighting might be such to conceal body parts that, shown in full lighting, warrant R ratings. :?
I hope we're all wrong with our speculations, but I'm not holding my breath. :roll: Still, if/when I see it, I'll go in with as open a mind as possible.

naturaldon wrote:5. And the 1st responder at the end will a 36-24-36 babe with a steely jaw.

"Brick House" came to mind when I read this! :lol: Oh wait, that's probably a sexist song... not that modern music is less sexist (in fact, it's mostly worse)...
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby dv8 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 pm

I had a rather different take on the nudity - which by the way seems to have taken place more at the beginning than near the end, when things really HAD fallen apart. I saw the first, carefree stripping of the clothes as a relaxation of civilization, and I found myself quite sympathetic with their choices. Those choices seemed, at the core, naturist - discarding clothing when it is not specifically needful for protection from the elements. Even the choir boys, whose robes served for cultural division, discarded those - though the older ones kept some clothing, both in the book and the early film.
dv8
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

dv8 wrote:
I had a rather different take on the nudity - which by the way seems to have taken place more at the beginning than near the end, when things really HAD fallen apart. I saw the first, carefree stripping of the clothes as a relaxation of civilization, and I found myself quite sympathetic with their choices. Those choices seemed, at the core, naturist - discarding clothing when it is not specifically needful for protection from the elements. Even the choir boys, whose robes served for cultural division, discarded those - though the older ones kept some clothing, both in the book and the early film.

Well said, and something I'd forgotten about. There is more nudity at the beginning if I remember correctly.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Come to think of it, I used to have the DVD of the original movie (B&W) that featured extra footage (it's still available for purchase). There is one cut where the two main actors undress on the beach and race into the water (backsides showing only). It wasn't part of the movie, just part of what the boys experienced while making the movie.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:06 am

I remember the family had a copy of the book. My mother would get in any book that was in the reading world's focus, some good some bad - she liked to be up on such things. I remember I started it - I gorged on books in those days. I could not get into it.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

I have said it before and I will say it again in case you missed it, that so many people missed something that Golding put into the title "Lord of the Flies". When this tilte translated into the appropriate ancient middle eastern Languages Lord of the flies Becomes BaalZebub Which more commonly is translated in English Beelzebub [1] and sometimes is also translated in English as Lord of Filth.

And it still tickles me that in 1963 while the English professors at the university tried to impress us with their analysis of Samuel Golding's great work of literature, that these esteemed and learned professors totally missed this thing that Golding has put in his very title of the book, which they might have understood if they had ever read that other great book, called the Holy Bible and paid a modicum of attention to the linguistics!

[1]
From http://www.dictionary.com/browse/beelzebub
Beelzebub
/bɪˈɛlzɪˌbʌb/
noun
(Old Testament) a god of the Philistines (2 Kings 1:2)
Satan or any devil or demon

Word Origin
Old English Belzebub, ultimately from Hebrew bá`al zebūb, literally: lord of flies
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 am

Well duh - that was so obvious back when the book just did not catch with me. But fo tru - lit crit types will not always notice what is written in clear.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to Nude News