Photos Size

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Photos Size

Postby skypiolet » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:26 am

Hellow:areyouthere?:

How big (Kb, Mb) can a photo be, to load it.:argh:
skypiolet
Resident

Re: Photos Size

Postby Kilsch » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:12 pm

AS I understand it we can only post photos after we have made 8 comments. I haven't been on in a very long while and haven't snooped around much yet.
Kilsch
New Comer

Postby natman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:18 pm

skypiolet wrote:Hellow:areyouthere?:

How big (Kb, Mb) can a photo be, to load it.:argh:

The maximum size of a photo is 800x800 pixels and 1Mb in size.

The maximum avatar size is 120x120 pixels and 12Kb in size.

Kilsch wrote:AS I understand it we can only post photos after we have made 8 comments. I haven't been on in a very long while and haven't snooped around much yet.

Actually, you must have at least 10 posts before you can begin uploading photos.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby loki987 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Are the photo's pretty easy to upload?
loki987
Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 am

loki987 wrote:Are the photo's pretty easy to upload?
Definitely Yes. To include an attachment in a post, all that is necessary is to:
-- click on The "upload attachment" tag just below and to the left of the Save,Preiew, Submit buttons
-- click on the browse button
-- locate the picture (or other attachment) on your computer and select it.
-- click the add the file button so that it uploads
you then have the option to put the picture (or other attachment) at the most appropriate position within your post by placing your cursor in the message at that position and clicking the button to put the picture in line at that position

Putting images in your gallery is also straight forward but getting them in a particular order is a little involved. It would be nice if arranging the pictures in the galleries were easier.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am

loki987 wrote:Are the photo's pretty easy to upload?

Are you referring to uploading into the albums or into a post?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby nudie66 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:50 pm

I wish I could post pics so that you CNVillagers could put a face to the name... but my pics are too big, beyond the 120x120 pixels the website is stating... is there a simple way to shrink the size of an image so it's accepted? (It's the only time I'll condone shrinkage... LOL)
I transfer camcorder tapes & other analog media to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:28 pm

nudie66 wrote:my pics are too big, beyond the 120x120 pixels the website is stating... is there a simple way to shrink the size of an image so it's accepted?

That sort of depends on what is simple for you.
First it is the avatar size that is 120x120, with an upper limit of 12 kilo bytes.
pictures inserted in a post it is 800x800 and 1 megabyte. Just about any photo editor worthy of at least a beginner should be able to accomplish that. If you do not have one, You can download a version of GNU Image Manipulation_Program AKA GIMP .
It originated in Linux and is also available for Windows. the best part is it is FREE

GIMP is a full feature high performance product but if all you want to do is change the size of an image all you have to do is select the menu choices
<Image><Scale Image> and enter the size you want. Then select <File>< Save As>
and give it a new name when you save it so it does not overwrite the original :shock: .

Then if the Kilo/Mega byte size of the file is too large. Just open the image and select ,<File>< Save As> and save it as a JPG file. and reduce the quality number Most file formats will readily be saved as a jpg file if you click on that option at the lower right and then select JPG from the list. (You may be asked to select the "export" option to be able to make the save as it as a JPG file and it may give you a warning of something that it will have to change. (that you really wont miss.) If the resulting file is not small enough just keep lowering the quality number until after saving it gets small enough.

I think that there may be websites that will do the same work, but you really ought to have a photo editor to play with. it is really fun. :D

To get GIMP go to the page http://www.gimp.org/.
BIG FREAKING WARNING
be sure to read on that page the warning to only get it from them because there are bogus spyware versions made by bad people masquerading as the real thing.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:24 am

Hmmm... haven't tried attaching an image before here... let's see if this works...
I transfer camcorder tapes & other analog media to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:12 am

Haha, never mind... I just found the photo gallery section and the option to post pictures. What can I say... I'm great with social nudity, but not so great with all this technology. Anyway, I've got 4 drawings posted. Actual photographs may be another hurdle... LOL...
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:48 pm

Hey, hey... now that I've posted 4 pictures, I'm being told that I've disabled comments. Can anyone tell me how to un-disable them?
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:24 am

I don't think it is you. For some reason, the comments have been disabled and everything I have tried does not seem to enable them.

Unfortunately, the photo albums are an add-on which is no longer supported. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby nudie66 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:10 am

Oh well, at least I know how to post 'em now. :like:
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:11 pm

nudie66 wrote:.....I'm being told that I've disabled comments. Can anyone tell me how to un-disable them?
Even if you cannot un-disable comments, you can do this workaround:

Add your comment as text to the photo before posting it.
There are multiple ways of doing this.
1. Anywhere on the image
-- a. First add a layer to the photo (I usually name it "boxes")
-- b. Add text in the color of your choice at preferred locations on the photo.
-- c. Switch to the layer called "boxes"
-- d. select a box shaped area around each bit of text
-- e. Use the paint bucket (color fill) to paint the box a useful color (often white) to make the text clearly readable
-- f. Flatten the image into a single layer and save as a ".jpg" for maximum portability

2. As a caption at the bottom, top , edge
-- a. Increase the "canvas size" along the edge of choice
-- b. expand the base layer to the image size
-- c. Use the paint bucket (color fill) to paint the added area a useful color (often white) to make the text clearly readable
-- d. Add text in the color of your choice in the added region.
-- e. Flatten the image into a single layer and save as a ".jpg for maximum portability
-- Hint: If you add more than enough space for the comment in step "a" you can always crop off the excess.

Doing either method above is not really difficult, and you have done either of the above the first time it is very easy after that. The results can look very professional.

Hint: If you are prone to misspelling words or typos, you can type the text where you have a spell checker and then cut and paste it into the photo text feature dialog box.

Sort of like this:
Attachments
Adam+Eve_Avatar-285-330.jpg
Adam+Eve_Avatar-285-330.jpg (38.48 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to Questions about this website