It looks like a bot got through your filter !!?? TurnitinB

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: It looks like a bot got through your filter !!?? TurnitinB

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:34 am

So epilonly, you're saying Max2012 is a bot? How do you identify a bot outside the fact they never seem to come back to the site to post more information? I ask because I just sent a welcome to Max2012. Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:33 am

Epi,

This is how the site was set up when I became an admin. If you are interested, here is a list of bots that are currently allow to crawl the Village...

MSN [Bot]
Majestic-12 [Bot]
Yahoo [Bot]
Exabot [Bot]
ichiro [Crawler]
Google Feedfetcher
Alexa [Bot]
MSNbot Media
Google [Bot]
TurnitinBot [Bot]
Heritrix [Crawler]
W3C [Validator]
Gigabot [Bot]
Google Desktop
Ask Jeeves [Bot]
Baidu [Spider]
Nutch [Bot]
YahooSeeker [Bot]
psbot [Picsearch] (disabled)
Yahoo MMCrawler [Bot]
YaCy [Bot]
AdsBot [Google]
Alta Vista [Bot]
FAST Enterprise [Crawler]
FAST WebCrawler [Crawler]
Francis [Bot]
Google Adsense [Bot]
Heise IT-Markt [Crawler]
IBM Research [Bot]
ICCrawler - ICjobs
MSN NewsBlogs
Metager [Bot]
NG-Search [Bot]
Nutch/CVS [Bot]
OmniExplorer [Bot]
Online link [Validator]
SEO Crawler
SEOSearch [Crawler]
Seekport [Bot]
Sensis [Crawler]
Seoma [Crawler]
Snappy [Bot]
Steeler [Crawler]
Synoo [Bot]
Telekom [Bot]
Voyager [Bot]
W3 [Sitesearch]
W3C [Linkcheck]
WiseNut [Bot]
Yahoo Slurp [Bot]
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby epionly » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi Nathan!

Thanks for the info - YIKE :dizzy:

Do they get revenue for copying all the posted pictures for possible resale on the world internet? People post them voluntarily, so the bots can't be criticized for milking sources like these!!

You have really given me a good reality lesson for data posted on the internet.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Epionly
epionly
Native Resident

Postby epionly » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi JimShedd112!

Hay, look what revenue you could be making milking sites like NC, CNV and other similar sites for all the pictures alone for possible sale on the internet. Of course, you would have to design a good bot first.

Please note that Max2012 happened to be on line at the same time as the [Bot]. The QUOTE I put here was of the data at the bottom of the "Board Index" at the time, in order to prove that I was not dreaming about the [Bot]. Look earlier to see what Dave said to me about the first bot I saw on the site - like I was having visions or something. This Quote was for documentation, thats all. :biggrin:

Take Care,

Epionly
epionly
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:52 pm

epionly wrote:Hi Nathan!

Thanks for the info - YIKE :dizzy:

Do they get revenue for copying all the posted pictures for possible resale on the world internet? People post them voluntarily, so the bots can't be criticized for milking sources like these!!

Actually, search engines make money by having paid advertisements on their pages, usually on the right column or across the bottom or top of their pages. Google has paid links to items that are usually relevant to whatever search you have queried. The more hits they get that are relevant to the requested search, the more likely people are to use their search engine.

Search engines benefit us by making sure that our site shows up in searches. That is how many people find our site in the first place.

epionly wrote:Hi JimShedd112!

Hay, look what revenue you could be making milking sites like NC, CNV and other similar sites for all the pictures alone for possible sale on the internet. Of course, you would have to design a good bot first.

In the cases of CNV and NC, the galleries are not open to bots. However, the generally viewable areas of the sites such as the intro or TOS areas are searchable, including the avatars.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby epionly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 am

Hi Nathan!

Thanks again for the explanation. Good to know they are not into the galleries. In the two last posts here, I was pushing the exposure issue to the extreme, really hoping the reality was like you have explained. NC and CNV actually have control over the areas the bots can go. Comforting to know this.

Your patience is much appreciated!

Epionly
epionly
Native Resident

Postby heyitschris » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:46 pm

"googlefeedfetcher"
is going through the forums right now,
is that something to be worried about?
heyitschris
Resident

Re: It looks like a bot got through your filter !!?? Turni

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am

I logged on the other evening and there were 4 registered users, me, google.bot, Bing.bot, and yahoo.bot.
I understand that they were probably updating search data, but all 3 at once.
Now today I looked and it is me and 4 bots. It seems they never leave. Sometimes it seems they are more interested in what we are doing than we are.
By staying logged in, does that give them more info, activity...
This site seems to be very stable, but I wonder how much CPU time is given to the spy-bots.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:40 am

More information
Every time I log onto this site I fine 2,3,4 or more spy-bots logged in. If I go to NC maybe one, but often zero are logged in.
Why are the spy-bots so interested in this site? Is there a way to limit it more or should we?

I know from earlier in this strip that there is security in place concerning bots, but the constant hitting on this site seems to be a bit excessive and concerning. Are they trying to break thru the security or what?

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:09 pm

So I think where something is turning up about Bots is supposedly at the lower left corner of the screen. Would it not be easier and more accurate to simply take a screen shot like this:.
Lower_Left_corner.jpg
This is a screen shot of the lower left corner of the browser screen.
Lower_Left_corner.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 4852 times

A screen shot will capture it all without even getting typos.

As the lower left where this information appears changes often the screen shot may catch it all before a change occurs.
----------------------- and while I was preparing the above look what popped up in the lower left corner and I caught it with a screen shot -------------
Caught a Spider.jpg
It is faint pink so it is hard to read but appears to say baidu spider
Caught a Spider.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 4851 times

The website http://www.botopedia.org/user-agent-list/search-bots/baidu-spider identifies this as of Chinese Origin
I found that website by a search that led me to:https://www.incapsula.com/blog/know-your-top-10-bots.html
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:53 pm

These "bots" are generally of no concern. They are search engines that are allowed to peruse through only certain sections of the site. They are not allowed to post or drop code.

Allowing search bots to peruse the site increase the visibility of the site, increasing the odds that someone interested in Christian naturism might find the site while doing a web search.

They really are nothing to be concerned about.

What we DO concern ourselves about are bots that attempt to create a user account. That is why we have made in difficult for someone to actually join. They must follow specific instructions that most computers would never be able to reason through.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Maverick » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Nathan, this is off-topic, but I received a notice from Firefox when logging in today that the connection is insecure. Is there a way this site could be upgraded to use HTTPS? I realize you're very busy but I thought I'd mention it since I don't know if anyone else has seen that notification.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:22 am

Maybe I'm naïve but I wonder why so many are concerned about bots "invading" this or other naturist/nudist sites. What's the fear of being discovered if no one is doing anything wrong?

As I understand a secure site is a greater concern where one's financial information (credit card, bank account, etc.) is vulnerable to mining but I don't understand the concern when you're not sharing such information.

As Natman said, it's a chance for others to discover Christian naturism if search bots can access the site, just my opinion.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:38 pm

Jim you might want to investigate malicious use of bots. For a starting point try:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot#Malicious_purposes
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:55 pm

The reason I recently brought this up about bots is the number of them that were there. And it seemed like they never left. There is not that much new activity on the site, so what would be the reason for constantly being logged in? My concern would be maybe attempting to break thru holes in the security. The number of bots logged in now seems to have recently subsided. Maybe they have gone somewhere else for a while.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Questions about this website