Was something up?

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Was something up?

Postby Petros » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Today - only - the village - and no other site I visit - was inaccessible. Wonderingb if it is that end or this.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Was something up?

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 pm

I had the same experience, Petros...?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby ezduzit » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Me too
Ez
ezduzit

Postby Petros » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:23 am

Well, at least I know it ain't our IP. Now if someone can just figure out how to keep it from happening again....
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:20 am

Maybe the guy mopping the floor in the server room bumped the power cord loose with his mop stick. :lol:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:22 pm

I have seen SQL errors from time to time. Maybe SQL died and had to be restarted.
What can I say - computers.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:03 am

Item - as late as the 30s one man handled the entire U registration process.

Item - probably also in the 30s, in many one room stores the proprietor would reach down off the shelf, slice, weigh, pack your entire grocery order while totting up your reckoning in his head.

Item - as late as the 30s one missionary in Africa could and would produce a GOOD Bible translation and other lterature with just pen, ink, and paper from book flyleaves and recycled letter margins.

Computers have their uses, I do not want to start chipping my own arrow heads, but progress has its price.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Petros wrote:Computers have their uses, I do not want to start chipping my own arrow heads, but progress has its price.

Arrowheads? Maybe you should just go back to electric typewriters, fax machines and rotary phones?
That would be primitive enough.
Point taken about the price of progress.
One should not be hopelessly dependent upon computers. Or else you would be hopeless!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:51 am

Hey, mon, we still have a working electric typewriter and a working [used on occasion] rotary phone.

Never had a fax machine, though.

I WOULD go back to my fountain pen!
Petros
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:03 am

Petros wrote:Hey, mon, we still have a working electric typewriter and a working [used on occasion] rotary phone.

Never had a fax machine, though.

I WOULD go back to my fountain pen!

Electric typewriters? Isn't that a little new fangled?

I grew up with a manual (I think Smith Corona) typewriter. The electric had come out years prior but the really cool ones were the monstrously heavy IBM Selectrics with the ball striker.

My wife did part of her masters thesis on a thermal/ink (depending on the cartridge) brother typewriter connected to an acoustic coupler modem at 300 baud (that's back when bits were bits).

I thought I was pretty up town when I got my first 56K modem! Then, about 12 years ago, my first DSL line... whoo boy!
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 pm

I typed my way through college on a 35-pound (by actual measurement!) black Underwood. With carbon sheets! :shock: But that was old technology even at the time. My, how times have changed.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

The database that manages the forum data stopped working for some reason. This also happened on July 1st (Perhaps it is a "Monday" thing). The site admin had to go in and restart it.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Okay, now let's imagine a 1983 version of this forum:
All day long, we fax our comments to Nathan's fax machine.
He takes a pair of scissors and a bottle of Elmer's glue,
cuts and pastes each comment to a blank sheet of paper.

Then he goes to the county library's copy machine, copies the page with all the comments glued on.
And one by one, faxes the day's summary page to each of us.
Of course most of us would not have fax machines.
We would either do it from work (a little awkward considering the naturist angle)
Or we'd go to some business that provided such services and pay to receive a fax.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:01 pm

An interesting story on CNET yesterday. It seems the Russians are taking the technology threat serious and are reverting to typewriters for their secrets. The article made references to all the current secret material being released to the media.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:23 pm

I am so miserably inept at typing that I had to pay from my meagre budget for someone to type my Master's thesis. There was no way I could type even a single error free page as was required for all pages. A spell checker is a wonderful thing so long as you do not let it operate in automatic mode. Fortunately I had word processing by the time I did my PhD.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Next

Return to Questions about this website