Finally put up some pics

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Finally put up some pics

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:07 pm

And they show up sideways. Anyway to fix that?
Live life in love, for to love is to live!
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Re: Finally put up some pics

Postby ezduzit » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:23 pm

You download them from a phone? Pic program in the computer should have let you turn them right side up , then they can be posted to the gallery
Ez
ezduzit

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm

Posted with iPad. Also tried to post an avatar pic, but could not get any down to the site's required size.
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:55 am

Try this site. http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:08 pm

I did try that re-sizing site. Still unable to get a pic down to the right size. Oh well, fokes will have to refer to my photos to see what I look like.
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:23 am

Here is a picture from your gallery resized to the required 120 x 120
It took me about 3 minutes using Gimp and trying 3 different crops, I thought this one was best. Just left click on the image and you should be able to save it to your computer and then upload it to your profile page as an avatar.

Gimp is free, just get it from the official GIMP site http://www.gimp.org/ as there are scam versions. It was developed for Linux but is available for windows.
Attachments
avatar_image.jpg (3.88 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 am

Oh, by the way did I mention that GIMP was a full feature photo editor that will allow all sorts of image modification: :lol:
Attachments
mod_avatar_image.jpg
mod_avatar_image.jpg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 am

I went with the one without the distinguished moustache! Thanks for the help! :)
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:09 am

I took the image from your gallery, by
-- first clicking on it so I could download the full version and not the tiny icon view.
-- I right clicked on it and saved it to my desk top to get the full sized version
-- Then I opened it in GIMP
-- I used the cropping tool and tried several sizes of crop to see which would get the best composition by using a square that was some multiple of 120x120 pixels. 240x240 would not get enough so I had to go with 360x360.
-- After making the crop, I scaled it to 120x120.
I have found that the sharpest image results if I can scale the image the least amount and by an integer factor, (2, 3, 4 etc. rather than 2.45 3.7 etc.) That way the software does not have to try to take several pixels plus a fraction to make each pixel of the new reduced size image. This is especially important if you have any text in the image lest the text becomes fuzzy at the edges.

The scheme applies when making "wall paper" for a computer screen background. If the image is the exact pixel count of your screen the image will be sharpest. For instance my screen resolution is 1280 x 800. If I had a picture that was 1150 x 750, to make a wall paper I would add a border that added 130 pixels to the width and 50 pixels to the height rather than let the operating system fit the image to the screen. It gives a sharper image and does not make any text fuzzy.

Each photo editor has its own menus and jargon. I started out with a free version of photoshop, that came with a digital camera but never bought the rather pricey full version. When I switched to the Linux operating system I had to find a new photo editor. And GIMP was the only real contender, and being free was a plus. All the clever tricks I had learned to do in photoshop and all the menu structure and jargon was different. However, the capabilities of GIMP were fully comparable and sometimes superior. So I took the time to learn GIMP. Now that GIMP is offered free in a version for Windows, I never hesitate to recommend it to MSWindows users. Why Pay when a powerful equivalent is free, and you don't get ratcheted into having to buy upgrades. The jargon is different and the menu structure is different so I recommend starting with the one that you can keep for free. The menu structure is not more difficult nor more complex so the learning curve is the same with either one.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Soapbox Preacher » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:20 pm

I put up another photo in the gallery. I did it through my computer this time and it stayed right side up.
Soapbox Preacher
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Soapbox Preacher wrote:And they show up sideways. Anyway to fix that?

Yep! Sure is! Open the file in GIMP, click on the menu choices
<Image><Transform><Rotate 90 degrees (CW or CCW)> <File><Save><Save>
Problem Solved!

The commands should be about that simple in most any photo editor. Some touch screen software may do it as well.

Unfortunately some cameras / super phones have an automatic way of doing this but it does not change the file so that the orientation is fixed in other software. Presumably the camera/phone records the orientation of the camera when the image was taken. and stores it with the file Other software may not recognize this information.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to Questions about this website