Missing reply & quote buttons ...

What general questions do you have about this virtual community that the FAQ link didn't answer? What problems are you having in getting started on this site? All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby natman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:19 am

Ramblinman wrote:Changes may be in the works...See the following proposal:

Posts are graded by the Quality Committee for spelling, punctuation, lyrical quality and story line,
then print-out conveyed by the Sargent at Arms to the Central Committee for discussion.
If the post passes muster by super majority of officials,
Governor of the Central Committee places post in velvet-lined mahogany transferal box
Whereupon senior Central Committee page delivers post to Executive Office
Where it awaits signature of the Forum Moderator-in-Chief.
Assuming he doesn't veto the approval, the post is then forwarded to the Council of the Exchequer.
If funding is granted for additional space on the server...
Or deficit spending is approved by Central Committee...
and the head of Information Technology approves the coded transcript...
The post appears on the forum unless a simple majority of forum members vote to recall the post...
At which point it is returned to the Quality Committee for additional review (etc..)

Do you happen to work for the government?

If this were the case, even less posts would come through
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby naturist » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:56 pm

I wonder if these rules are too strict though. I was going to post a little story about an experience my wife had at our very first visit to a resort last summer. A little humorous to me, but not according to my wife. :lol: . However there is not strip that I can access where I feel it should go.

If members are concerned about not enough posts, Maybe some categories should be opened up sooner to newcomers. I can see how people new to the site would get discouraged and go elsewhere, because they get the impression that the the residents and natives don't want or respect their comments.

For an example, I see I can't post under the strip "how to become a Christian". But having been a Christian since a child, I feel as qualified to comment as others. Although, as others mentioned, I do understand there are pros to the way it is set up.

naturist
User avatar
naturist
Native Resident
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 am
Location: Washington

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:17 pm

natman wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Changes may be in the works...See the following proposal:

Posts are graded by the Quality Committee for spelling, punctuation, lyrical quality and story line,
then print-out conveyed by the Sargent at Arms to the Central Committee for discussion.
If the post passes muster by super majority of officials,
Governor of the Central Committee places post in velvet-lined mahogany transferal box
Whereupon senior Central Committee page delivers post to Executive Office
Where it awaits signature of the Forum Moderator-in-Chief.
Assuming he doesn't veto the approval, the post is then forwarded to the Council of the Exchequer.
If funding is granted for additional space on the server...
Or deficit spending is approved by Central Committee...
and the head of Information Technology approves the coded transcript...
The post appears on the forum unless a simple majority of forum members vote to recall the post...
At which point it is returned to the Quality Committee for additional review (etc..)

Do you happen to work for the government?

If this were the case, even less posts would come through


Yes, once upon a time, I was a highly-commended Level-4 bureaucrat with areas of specialization in Advanced Permission-seeking and expert with rubber-stamp. At some point I managed to escape from that labyrinth. My minds are slowly growing accustomed to the outside world, but I tend to have flash-backs.
And frankly, I thought my proposal was rather lenient and even decadent.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:24 pm

natman wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Changes may be in the works...See the following proposal:

Posts are graded by the Quality Committee for spelling, punctuation, lyrical quality and story line...

Do you happen to work for the government?...
Ha! I have yet to see a government communique with any lyrical qualities or story line... :lol:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby jochanaan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:26 pm

naturist wrote:I wonder if these rules are too strict though. I was going to post a little story about an experience my wife had at our very first visit to a resort last summer. A little humorous to me, but not according to my wife. :lol: . However there is not strip that I can access where I feel it should go.

If members are concerned about not enough posts, Maybe some categories should be opened up sooner to newcomers. I can see how people new to the site would get discouraged and go elsewhere, because they get the impression that the the residents and natives don't want or respect their comments.

For an example, I see I can't post under the strip "how to become a Christian". But having been a Christian since a child, I feel as qualified to comment as others. Although, as others mentioned, I do understand there are pros to the way it is set up.

naturist
Still, you can post under "Tell us about your faith journey." We do allow a certain amount of discussion on introductory forums. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:08 am

jochanaan wrote:
naturist wrote:I wonder if these rules are too strict though. I was going to post a little story about an experience my wife had at our very first visit to a resort last summer. A little humorous to me, but not according to my wife. :lol: . However there is not strip that I can access where I feel it should go.

If members are concerned about not enough posts, Maybe some categories should be opened up sooner to newcomers. I can see how people new to the site would get discouraged and go elsewhere, because they get the impression that the the residents and natives don't want or respect their comments.

For an example, I see I can't post under the strip "how to become a Christian". But having been a Christian since a child, I feel as qualified to comment as others. Although, as others mentioned, I do understand there are pros to the way it is set up.

naturist
Still, you can post under "Tell us about your faith journey." We do allow a certain amount of discussion on introductory forums. 8)


All levity aside, your posts are welcome and we all love a good story, I promise!
I still learn new things about our old friend Jochanaan after all the years he's been here. It's an ongoing process.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby gardenlover » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:23 pm

naturist wrote:I wonder if these rules are too strict though. I was going to post a little story about an experience my wife had at our very first visit to a resort last summer. A little humorous to me, but not according to my wife. :lol: . However there is not strip that I can access where I feel it should go.

If members are concerned about not enough posts, Maybe some categories should be opened up sooner to newcomers. I can see how people new to the site would get discouraged and go elsewhere, because they get the impression that the the residents and natives don't want or respect their comments.

For an example, I see I can't post under the strip "how to become a Christian". But having been a Christian since a child, I feel as qualified to comment as others. Although, as others mentioned, I do understand there are pros to the way it is set up.

naturist


I am now tending to agree. In another strip, which I can't reply to, Natman essentially asked why the activity here is slower than CN and asked if CNV should be shut down. There have been a number of times, most recently tonight, when I would have liked to reply to a strip but was unable to do so. I currently have 33 posts, maybe 34 now, and am respectfully frustrated. I know it's not my sandbox and I respect the rules of those who run the establishment, but wanted to provide some constructive criticism. There are so few strips I can post in, that I may never make it to the magic number.

Edit: Typo
Last edited by gardenlover on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gardenlover
Native Resident
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm
Location: United States

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby jjsledge » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:39 am

When Natman's post first came out I was going to post a reply and the button was missing. A couple days later I noticed they were back. I know it is not a permissions thing for me. I have plenty of posts (360). Haven't noticed that problem since.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
User avatar
jjsledge
Native Resident
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat May 12, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Rockwall, Texas

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby natman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:57 pm

gardenlover wrote:I am now tending to agree. In another strip, which I can't reply to, Natman essentially asked why the activity here is slower than CN and asked if CNV should be shut down. There have been a number of times, most recently tonight, when I would have liked to reply to a strip but was unable to do so. I currently have 33 posts, maybe 34 now, and am respectfully frustrated. I know it's not my sandbox and I respect the rules of those who run the establishment, but wanted to provide some constructive criticism. There are so few strips I can post in, that I may never make it to the magic number.


Gardenlover, can you let me know which ones you are having trouble posting into?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby nudie66 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm

As someone who has become a "native resident", I too have occasionally gone searching for the missing Reply button on certain strips.

By the way, what's a thread? I don't understand that term... :biggrin:
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
User avatar
nudie66
Native Resident
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:54 pm
Location: Atlantic County, New Jersey

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby gardenlover » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:57 pm

natman wrote:
gardenlover wrote:I am now tending to agree. In another strip, which I can't reply to, Natman essentially asked why the activity here is slower than CN and asked if CNV should be shut down. There have been a number of times, most recently tonight, when I would have liked to reply to a strip but was unable to do so. I currently have 33 posts, maybe 34 now, and am respectfully frustrated. I know it's not my sandbox and I respect the rules of those who run the establishment, but wanted to provide some constructive criticism. There are so few strips I can post in, that I may never make it to the magic number.


Gardenlover, can you let me know which ones you are having trouble posting into?


Hi natman,

Thanks for looking into this, here is a list:

Welcome Center - Access to all, but announcements (Which is understandable)

All About Christianity
How to become a Christian - no access to post
Christianity and other religions - no access to post
Christianity and Ethics - accessible
Unanswered Questions about Christianity - accessible

The Worship Center
Worship in song and poetry - no access to post
Worship in praise - accessible
Worship in prayer - accessible
Worship in devotional thoughts - no access to post

The Friendship Center
People connecting with people - accessible
Family issues - no access to post
Recipes - accessible
Anything Goes - no access to post
For men only - accessible

All About Christian Nudity
What is nudism - no access to post
Nudism and health issues - no access to post
Why would anyone want to be nude - accessible
The lust factor - no access to post
Isn't nudity just as bad as porn - no access to post
What about the children - no access to post
Struggling with nudism - no access to post
General conversation about nudism - no access to post
Personal naturist experiences and trip reports - no access to post
Nude news - no access to post

The Schoolhouse
Nudity and the Bible - accessible
Bible studies OT - accessible
Bible studies NT - accessible
Studies in theology - no access to post
The history of natural living - no access to post
Other studies of interest - no access to post
Audio sermons - no access to post
User avatar
gardenlover
Native Resident
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm
Location: United States

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby natman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:03 pm

GardenLover,

Try it now. Periodically, our software glitches and does not advance a user based on post count. I did it manually.

It is a bug that has plagued us for several years and no one seems to know why it does it. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby gardenlover » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:07 pm

natman wrote:GardenLover,

Try it now. Periodically, our software glitches and does not advance a user based on post count. I did it manually.

It is a bug that has plagued us for several years and no one seems to know why it does it. :(


Much better natman, thank you!

There are still a few strips I can't post in, but am happy to have a broader range of topics to post in.

The few I cannot post to follow below:

All About Christianity
Christianity and other religions - no access to post

The Worship Center
Worship in devotional thoughts - no access to post

All About Christian Nudity
The lust factor - no access to post
Isn't nudity just as bad as porn - no access to post

The Schoolhouse
Other studies of interest - no access to post
Audio sermons - no access to post
User avatar
gardenlover
Native Resident
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm
Location: United States

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby jochanaan » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 pm

nudie66 wrote:...By the way, what's a thread? I don't understand that term... :biggrin:
That's because threads are for textiles. :mrgreen: Here we call them "strips." 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Missing reply & quote buttons ...

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:59 pm

jochanaan wrote:
nudie66 wrote:...By the way, what's a thread? I don't understand that term... :biggrin:
That's because threads are for textiles. :mrgreen: Here we call them "strips." 8)


The only problem with the word "strip" is that it implies removing something.
What if there is nothing to remove? Then it only follows that there is nothing that can be stripped!
We could call them "talking points"
But that assumes that we have a single point to discuss and some of us love to ramble.... :biggrin:
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2631
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am

PreviousNext

Return to Questions about this website

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests