Stuffed Bell Peppers

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Stuffed Bell Peppers

Postby New_Adventurer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 am

I vote for vegetable, as opposed to animal or mineral. I am sure we can all agree they are not mineral, such as rocks. Some very low forms of life are hard to discern, such as a single-cell ameoba.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:22 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:I vote for vegetable, as opposed to animal or mineral. I am sure we can all agree they are not mineral, such as rocks. Some very low forms of life are hard to discern, such as a single-cell ameoba.

As I had said, I used to think mushrooms, and all fungi, were plants, too, in my younger days. But in the time I started going online, I saw soon it was otherwise, and any of us, being online, can look it up. It is not up to a vote, though you certainly can convince yourself of anything. Online it can be found. Although commonly included in botany curricula and textbooks, fungi are more closely related to animals than to plants and are placed with the animals in the group of opisthokonts. Fungi are still in their own kingdom of life. Living things do not only consist of plants and animals, that is a very archaic way of thinking, no longer held by any who study it. So I can consistently say I like using all food vegetables, and also I hate to have mushrooms, with no contradiction.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pm

baresoul wrote:As I had said, I used to think mushrooms, and all fungi, were plants, too, in my younger days.

They were plants in your younger days. The biologists changed the classification system, so the correct taxonomy is not Plantae these days. That doesn't mean the definition in common English had to change. Not that it's right or wrong that mushrooms are plants; just different definitions in different contexts.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 am

Fungi are still Opisthokonts, much closer to the animal kingdom than other kingdoms of life are, including plants. Most kingdoms of life are not among the Opisthokonts. My belief persisted long after that was understood by scientists and those studying such biological things. I only was going online where I would learn such and many other things starting a little over twelve years ago.
baresoul
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Recipes