High Protein Pancakes

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

High Protein Pancakes

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 pm

Breakfast just does not work for me unless it has a significant dose of protein in it. So to make pancakes

3 eggs beaten
1 Cup whole wheat flour
1oz (2T) cooking oil
3 teaspoons double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5/8 cup of whole milk

Place ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth batter forms (a few small lumps don't matter.

Pour onto 325-350 F griddle (I usually make 6 pancakes from this recipe)

For a little extra variety drop small pieces of dried fruit onto freshly poured pancakes, and push down into pancake if necessary (I like dried cranberries)

Cook on first side until many pores open up and then turn for an equal time on second side

Place on a pre-warmed plate so that pancakes don't get cold. I prefer thick heavy plates because they hold heat longer. If cooking for several people place plates in oven at about 170 degrees or lowest setting before starting to make batter.

place a thin pat of butter in center of each pancake on plate

serve with syrup, jelly, preserves, jam, or marmalade of your choice.

The recipe may to appear to have less milk than usual, however the extra eggs provide the necessary extra liquid.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: High Protein Pancakes

Postby skinnydip » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Pancakes are my favorite for breakfast. Can't wait to try this recipe.
If I was born this way it can't be wrong.
God doesn't make junk.
skinnydip
Resident

Re: High Protein Pancakes

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri May 31, 2013 8:25 am

Just an extra tip or two.
I cook these on an electric griddle and I can cook the entire batch at once, but not if I make them round, (too much wasted space). So make them elliptical with the long axis at about 45 degrees angle to the griddle. then they all fit. Also when you make them elliptical they fit into sandwich bags easier for freezing. Then when I am in a hurry I defrost in the microwave and pop them into the toaster-broiler oven. 2 pancakes is just right for breakfast for me. So we freeze them in pairs. If you slightly undercook the ones for freezing the warming process brings them to perfect doneness.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to Recipes