Citrus Marmalade

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Citrus Marmalade

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:43 pm

A recent shopping error resulted and the effort to buy a bag of the small seedless oranges called "Cuties" that are available at this time of the year ended up with us accidentally bringing home tangerines.

Tangerines are OK, but these were not the seedless type, and have about 30 seeds each and the pulp tends to be stringy and chewy.

So we considered what else we might do. I got a bright idea and looked up Tangerine marmalade on the internet. After reviewing a few of the "easy" recipes and conferring with my wife, we adapted the following recipe from several that we found on the internet. The results were excellent. Obviously some of the work can be saved if you get the seedless type, and the recipe should easily adapt to any of the citrus fruits so long as you account for the differences in size. But with only two ingredients (citrus and sugar) and several pointers that I included from our experience this is an easy recipe should you be so inclined.

Citrus is plentiful in the stores now and if you end up with too much left over after the season's visitors have left, you can use the attached recipe as an approach to solve the problem without waste.

-------------------- FRESH TANGERINE MARMALADE --------------------
Yield:
1 jelly jar (8 ounce) per 3 tangerines approximately

Ingredients:
-- Tangerines
-- Sugar, Approximately 1/3 cup per tangerine, (see directions)

Notes:
-- Approximately 1/2 ounce (volumetric) of peel slivers will be needed per tangerine
-- The white material on the inside of the peel, (and what might stick to the peeled segments), will cause bitterness in the marmalade. Trace amounts are not a problem but the bulk of this should be removed unless a degree of bitterness is desired.
-- If marmalade is slow to gel in the jars as it cools, invert the jars from time to time to keep the peel well distributed until cooling and gelling is complete.

Directions:
## The peel ##

-- Wash tangerines. (soaking in a mild vinegar solution can be very effective in removing residues)
-- Remove peel from tangerines and select about half of the best of it for use.
-- Scrape the excess white material from the inside surface of the peel.
-- With a cutting board and sharp tipped knife slice the peel into fine slivers and then chop to about 1/4 inch length.
-- Measure 1/2 ounce (volumetric) per tangerine. (e.g. 1/2 cup for 8 tangerines)

## The segments ##
-- Carefully scrape any excess white material from the peeled tangerine.
-- Separate the segments and remove the white stringy material from the center.
-- Unless you have a seedless variety, remove seeds from sections. This can be easily done with a cutting board and sharp tipped knife. Place each segment on the board and with the knife cut away the white string along what was the central edge of the segment. The seeds can then be easily popped out with light pressure without losing a lot of juice. Some food mills may accomplish seed removal easily.
-- Place the segments in food processor, electric blender, or food mill, and reduce to a puree. Be sure to process sufficiently that the skins of the segments are thoroughly shredded

## Combining ##
-- Measure 1 cup of sugar per cup of puree.
-- Combine slivered and chopped peel with the puree and sugar in a large kettle, (The mixture may foam up while cooking.)
-- Place over moderate heat and bring slowly to a boil, stirring frequently.
-- Stir frequently at a gentle boil until the mixture sheets from a metal spoon, (About 35 minutes or more. The more it thickens the thicker the marmalade.)
-- Remove from heat.
-- Skim off foam and ladle immediately into hot jelly jars or canning jars.
-- Eliminate bubbles while filling to within 1/8 inch from top,
-- Screw cap on evenly and tightly,
-- Invert jar for a few seconds to distribute peel and stand jars upright to cool.

P.S.
Cooking the marmalade imparts a lovely citrus aroma to the kitchen :D
(Well at least it should if you don't burn it :shock: )
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Citrus Marmalade

Postby Petros » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:33 am

Sounds good - unfortunately my wife is about as much of a marmalade fan as I am a salsa fiend, so it likely will not happen here any time soon.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Recipes