Backpack food

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Backpack food

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 am

Does it tell how to make gorp? 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby TheBartman47 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 am

If anyone is ever interested in dehydrated food that would be great for backpacking and doesn't use MSG and absolutely no GMO ingredients, I'd be glad to point you to it. You can even get a few free samples (except pay shipping fee) to see how it tastes before you decide to stock up on them. Wide variety of foods too. Just add water and stir while heating up to reconstitute. 15 year shelf life too. They taste a lot better than military style MREs.
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:17 am

Hey Bartman I'd like to know where to get those items. Even the government says you should have at least a 3 day supply of food and water in case of disaster. A good ice storm here could shut down the power grid. I've already make a rocket stove which converts to an oven and have designs for self watering container or regular gardens. Container gardens can be done on a flat roof, deck or balcony. Gonna see if I can grow enough to give plenty away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKq5geEM-A Ollas

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2008/03/24/using-ollas/ using ollas

http://www.globalbuckets.org/p/olla-irrigation-clay-pot-system.html make your own
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:07 am

If you go backpacking, you could buy hundreds of dollars worth of pre-packaged dried meals.
They can be tasty and no one can argue with how easy they are: pay cashier and put in backpack.

But there are some big rewards for those who dry some or all of their own trail food.
If you are going to do some extending backpacking or even thru-hike the Pacific Crest or Appalachian Trails, snacks and candy aren't going to cut it.

A food dehydrator makes the job a lot easier, but you can dry in a conventional oven or if you live in a dry climate, outdoors in the sun.

I have dried vegetables for stew, rice, potatoes, meat and made my own beef jerky. I have used instant grits, instant oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast.

It's good to know how many calories you will need. You can field test your quantities and recipes on short weekend hikes. I lost a little weight on 4,000 calories a day. I was hiking 5,000 foot mountains with a 40-pound pack on my back and a half gallon of water at my hips. My point: you will probably burn far more calories on the trail than at home.

Happy Trails!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby TheBartman47 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:35 am

jjsledge wrote:Hey Bartman I'd like to know where to get those items....

go to this link:
http://bartman.mygofoods.com/

Then scroll down and look for the "free sample pack" link.
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

It won't let me place an order without setting up an account. :argh:

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Almost all of the fancy and expensive trail and sporting food that is dehydrated is available at the standard grocery store too, just do a little bit of careful shopping and reading of labels. Also, make sure you take along a survival book to guide you to which foods you can catch and harvest along the way and how to recover water from the ground and foliage. Finally, practice in the back yard for a week (pretend the kitchen is broken.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby TheBartman47 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 am

New_Adventurer wrote:Almost all of the fancy and expensive trail and sporting food that is dehydrated is available at the standard grocery store too, just do a little bit of careful shopping and reading of labels.

Two most important things to look for is non-GMO ingredients, and no MSG or other artificial colors of flavorings. I've looked around and haven't found anything else that can compare to the "GoFoods" brand. If it doesn't say "GMO free", you can bet it most likely does contain GMOs. And MSG can hide in MANY different ingredient names.

Also, make sure you take along a survival book to guide you to which foods you can catch and harvest along the way and how to recover water from the ground and foliage. Finally, practice in the back yard for a week (pretend the kitchen is broken.

I remember a book that was something about "backyard salad", that basically you can find enough things to eat right in your own back yard (unless all you have is turff grass). I can't remember the name of that book though. And good idea to see how well you can make it without your kitchen.
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:45 am

If you have been spraying weed killer and fertilizer on your yard, do NOT eat any of it. You need to wait 1 - 3 years after you have stopped spraying. Depending on how much you have sprayed in the past. Round Up does not biodegrade regardless of what you may have been told.

Jerry Sledge
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby TheBartman47 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 am

Yep, I never spray anything, and I especially never use RoundUp. I know a guy who spilled some in a small spot, and 25 years later, it still will not grow anything on that one spot.
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Return to Recipes