marinated dry rubbed smoked pork ribs

Got any favorite recipes you'd like to share?

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

marinated dry rubbed smoked pork ribs

Postby nakedpreacher » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:56 am

Summer is coming, sooner for some of you than for me, so here it is marinated dry rubbed ribs
Marinate. 1gal unfiltered Apple Cider (unfiltered is better), I cup apple Cider Vinegar, 1 Cup Jack Daniels

Dry Rub. 8cups Dark Brown Sugar,1cup coarse kosher salt, 1cup coarse black pepper, 1tbsp Cayenne pepper, 2tbsp rosemary
1tsp cumin and what ever else you think smells good with that mixture

Marinate 4-6 racks of ribs for 24 hours, rub the dry rub well into the surface of the ribs and let stand. Soak 1/2 a bag of apple wood chips in the left over marinade while you start your briquettes. smoke your ribs standing up in racks for about 2 hours at between 250 and 300. Add apple chips about every 5 minutes to your briquettes. After 2 hours of smoking triple wrap each rack alternating the seams in heavy duty tinfoil and cook on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for an additional 2 hours. Let stand in the foil for 10 -15 min after removing from the oven. Serve with plenty of napkins.

I like sweet and spicy you can adjust the amount of Cayenne pepper to taste.

Hint. If anyone uses barbeque sauce, you did something wrong.

Enjoy
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Re: marinated dry rubbed smoked pork ribs

Postby jjsledge » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 am

Some people use BBQ sauce regardless. Even before they taste what ever was cooked.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:48 am

jjsledge wrote:Some people use BBQ sauce regardless. Even before they taste what ever was cooked.
My rancher stepfather used to say that a good cut of meat didn't need sauce. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 pm

A constant refrain of Britishers I have known and one of their condemnations of Americans.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:12 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if that's another sign of our national preference for artificiality over nature...
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:29 pm

nakedpreacher wrote:......Dry Rub. 8cups Dark Brown Sugar,1cup coarse kosher salt, 1cup coarse black pepper, 1tbsp Cayenne pepper, 2tbsp rosemary
1tsp cumin..........

Hmmm, Pork ribs ---- Kosher Salt ????? Sounds like an odd combination :lol:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 pm

jochanaan wrote:...My rancher stepfather used to say that a good cut of meat didn't need sauce. :)

Well need is one thing and preference is another.

However I would disagree for one particular recipe, .... Venison Ribs.

Venison ribbs have a problem. I have never found anyone that really expressed a desire for deer tallow. I would describe it as leaving one's mouth as if one had been chewing old candles.

The tallow in the ribs is layered thinly between the meat.

The problem is that venison tallow congeals at a much higher temperature than beef tallow or Hog lard, and just does not taste good.

I have known hunters who threw away the ribs or gave them to the dogs. However I developed my own recipe for cooking.

-- Divide ribs into desired size serving pieces.
-- Cover with water in a pot and simmer until the meat is ready to fall off the bones (an hour or two but go by condition not time)
-- Place in 400 degree oven on a rack over a catch pan and slather repeatedly with barbecue sauce to preven drying or burning of the meat for another hour or so.
-- Serve hot.

CAUTiON:
Do not pour water from simmering down the drain unless you want to call the Roto-Rooter man

I consider such properly prepared venison ribs some of the best eating from the deer. You have to get the tallow out. You can make a very nice candle out of the tallow from the simmering after you clarify it.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Kosher salt is not Ionized
Naked Preacher
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:02 pm

:argh:
Yes it is ionized! It is about as ionized as you can get. Chlorine and sodium dissolved in water are only in the ion state. Remember high school chemistry?
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:05 am

jochanaan wrote:Hmmm...I wonder if that's another sign of our national preference for artificiality over nature...

Weeelll - there is also the famous [not quite accurate] slur: "England has sixty different religions and only one sauce." Certainly if you have experienced English "non-dairy ice cream" you cannot be too positive on the natural versus the artificial in British cuisine.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:27 am

Table Salt is primarily NaCl aka Sodium Chloride

Add water to salt and you get Na +1 and Cl -1 positivie and negative Ions and it is ionized. All of the salt that dissolves is 100% ionized

To prevent Goiter, a disease of the thyroid when the diet is deficient in Iodine, (a very necessary element in the diet which is crucial to Thyroid Gland health), Sodium Iodide, (NaI) a naturally occurring mineral is added to the table salt to assure adequate Iodine in the diet.

There is a zone in the southeastern united states where the environment is so bereft of Iodine that the disease Goiter is a common occurance and this zone is sometimes called the "Goiter Belt"

Due to the prevelance of Iodine ions (I -1) in sea water, people who eat significant quantities of sea food get more than enough Iodine to prevent Goiter.

In the event of a nuclear reactor meltdown/breech Methyl Iodide containing a radioactive isotope of iodine may be released and to prevent people from accumulating dangerous levels of this naturally occurring isotope in their thyroid glands, tablets of Sodium Iodide salt (NaI) are distributed so that the thyroid has all the iodine it needs and will not take up any more.

During the refuelling outage of nuclear reactors, release of radioactive methyl Iodide (a gas) is a common event which may trip the radiation alarms. Standard procedure is to vacate the area for a matter of hours as the radioactive half life of Iodine is short and the radiation dissipates rapidly.

Limited amounts of radioactive Sodium Iodide have been used as a tracer in certain thyroid gland medical tests because the thyroid will concentrate Iodine in the body. In the event of metastatic thyroid cancer, the cancerous thyroid cells break away and relocate elsewhere in the body. Radioactive Iodine will be taken up by these cancerous colonies so that they can be detected. In this manner the extent of metastasis (if any) can be assessed.

In a peculiar occurrence, a nuclear power plant in England, early in the development of nuclear power, emitted "safe levels" of radioactive iodine in the cooling water discharge to a local river. Miles away at the sea shore it was discovered that the population had abnormal levels of radioactive iodine in their Thyroids. It seems that in that vicinity, a Kelp salad was a common component in the local diet. Kelp concentrates Iodine, and the thyroid concentrates iodine. This double concentration mechanism was not foreseen when establishing what was deemed to be the safe level of radioactive Iodine release.

Sodium Iodide NaI will naturally occur in salt and ought to be expected to be found in some amounts in "sea salt".

To clarify matters, not much of Iodine is radioactive and even that which is man made rapidly disappears due to the short half life.
-------------------
And now back on topic,
I greatly enjoy beef barbecue with a sauce that is not a "hot kind of spicy"! Among my favorite barbecue beef recipes is Barbecue Beef Ribs. and I have been puzzled why it is that in all the "Barbecue Restaurants " I have been in "Barbecue Ribs" seems always to mean PORK ribs. And nobody, it seems, makes Barbecue BEEF ribs, which are excellent, (at least the way my wife makes them -YUM-)!
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Sorry I didn't check back, I meant to say Iodised . my auto correct sometimes gets the better of me. My understanding of Kosher is that it has no Iodine in it. Iodine is a trace mineral which we all need small amounts of, Which is added to the salt. I don't remember what it actually does, but it is bad if you don't have it. Most table salt is iodised, kosher salt, from my understanding, is not. Sorry for the confusion.
Naked Preacher
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Oops I didn't read the above post. I just proved my ignorance. Even a foolish man seems wise until he speaks.
Naked Preacher
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:29 am

Surely not ionized not in solution? Though I am rusty.

Never had significant venison, but the sensation is familiar from lamb / mutton. Do you know is elk the same? Number 1 Son's associate would know on both counts.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:54 am

Never tried elk ribs but elk steaks are much better than deer by all accounts. I don't know how much fat they carry on their ribs. I have never been in on the skinning part, only the packing out part.
Naked Preacher
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Next

Return to Recipes