Gospel of Thomas

Here you can read the founding documents of this website. Members may comment or ask questions, but the Village Council has final jurisdiction over making changes. All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Gospel of Thomas

Postby California1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:07 am

Does anyone know where a copy of this Gospel can be obtained?
California1
New Comer

Re: Gospel of Thomas

Postby natman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:54 am

There is a whole page of translations and commentaries of the Gospel of Thomas here...
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/thomas.html

I do not know what your interest in the Gospel of Thomas is, however, in case you do not know, the Gospel of Thomas is found in a collection of heretic teachings by third century Gnostics. These are not the writings of the Apostle Thomas ("Doubting Thomas"). Therefore, I would not give them much value in terms of Christian literature and, in fact, would find them to be very dangerous instead.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 am

Some think of the Gospel of Thomas and others of that ilk as providing useful light on the Urtext of the evangels. Me, I am not convinced one can go that far with it. My mama rather [advanced academic Episcoplalian] liked Thomas - she never deigned to tell me why.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:51 am

Petros wrote:My mama rather [advanced academic Episcoplalian] liked Thomas - she never deigned to tell me why.

Like many "advanced academics", she may have appreciated the eclectic air of the Gnostic gospels. Even the name, "gnostic", points to "knowledge", a "secret" knowledge that supposedly only they received, giving them a level of superiority over everyone else... not that your mama was seeking such acclaim. However, it is my experience that knowledgeable people tend to prefer the company, conversations and writings of other knowledgeable people.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:31 pm

natman wrote:...However, it is my experience that knowledgeable people tend to prefer the company, conversations and writings of other knowledgeable people.
Those who think they know everything really irritate those of us who do. :mrgreen: :lol:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby southernohio » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 pm

I have read portions of that writing. I found it to be questionable and read it only with the understanding that it is NOT scripture. It holds no more authority than a Grishim novel. I may have spelled his name wrong.
southernohio
Resident

Postby maavrik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Брехня
maavrik
Resident

Postby natman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm

maavrik wrote:Брехня

Translated from Ukrainian by Google"

lie

Maavrik,

Would you mind translating your posts for us in the future?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to Founding Documents