How to become a Christian - Russian Style.

There are many views on becoming a Christian. Here you may discuss your views, and even disagree with the introductory sticky post. Make sure you offer your rationale, and talk with each other courteously and respectfully. If you are not a Christian, this is a good place to ask your questions.<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

How to become a Christian - Russian Style.

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 am

The attached video came to me attached to an e-mail, and the baptism is supposed to be taking place in Georgia one of the former soviet republics.
It certainly is energetic, You may notice the infant goes under 3 times total but just 1/2 at a time so it counts up to 6 dips , Notice the expression on the one baby's face and compare it with the mother's expression. It certainly seem energetic and looks appropriate for assembly line infant baptisms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGHerqhSC8
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: How to become a Christian - Russian Style.

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 am

Certainly interesting, but many nearby weren't even paying attention. But I thought becoming a Christian had something to do with believing in Jesus.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:05 am

Jim wrote:Certainly interesting, but many nearby weren't even paying attention. But I thought becoming a Christian had something to do with believing in Jesus.

I believe that you are correct, but many confuse the outward ritual with the necessary inward change. So my usage of "become a Christian" was a bit tongue in cheek. Because there can be false or insincere conversions some go to Baptism and come away Christians and others go to baptism and just get wet.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Well in any case, if total immersion is required I'm not sure any of those infants quite got it, even after six dips. :lol: :roll:
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Good grief! I'm surprised the babies didn't throw up on everybody.

At least when you choose to be baptised, you know when to hold your breath for a second or two... these babies had no idea what was going on. As they get older and go on their first amusement park ride, they'll be thinking, "This seems vaguely familiar..."
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Yikes! I just showed my wife and she couldn't watch. Said it was child abuse.

Did anyone notice that the priest gave the babies the heave ho at the end? There was air between his hands and the babies (at least on the first two)!
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 pm

naturaldon wrote:Yikes! I just showed my wife and she couldn't watch. Said it was child abuse.
You might point out that neither infant was crying and one had a big happy smile on its face right after the dipping. Although the look on the one mother's face was looked like she was appalled. or just reacting to the baby.

naturaldon wrote:Did anyone notice that the priest gave the babies the heave ho at the end? There was air between his hands and the babies (at least on the first two)!
Yes, I noticed that too, I believe it was functional, perhaps to get the water out from between his hands and the baby's skin. This may have been intended to avoid a bunch of water dripping off the baby or to assure a safe grip during the hand off to the assistant.

I really thought that the Babies thought of it as some new kind of play. My own understanding of the purpose of baptizing however involves a repentance and commitment to God that a baby has no ability to make. So I suppose that I would have to understand that denomination's view of baptism before I could accept that sort of rite as rational, So many people present seemed to take it in stride that I doubt that it was just some innovation that was peculiar to that particular priest. It would be interesting to know just what the priest was saying as he performed the rite. The only concern that I had was that he was moving so fast that I would have concern that he might have a slip of his grip or that he might have a moment of in-coordination and bang the baby's head into the edge of the basin. That would be not good!
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:17 pm

The old priest clearly has experience. I wonder how he would baptize a teen or adult who requested it? Spotters?

But I, too, agree that babies/toddlers/young children need to be brought up in the nurture of the Lord (or introduced to Him at some age of cogency) to the point in their lives that they understand the saving grace of Jesus and can make their own confession that Jesus is Lord. THEN baptize away... by full immersion... one time!!
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am

believer baptism versus infant baptism WITH SPONSORS - a very old argument, both with strong bases.

Then there is the Anabaptist question - my mama was NOT happy when I piled a late comer's believer's baptism on top of my infant baptism.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to How to become a Christian