Come to Jesus

There are many views on becoming a Christian. Here you may discuss your views, and even disagree with the introductory sticky post. Make sure you offer your rationale, and talk with each other courteously and respectfully. If you are not a Christian, this is a good place to ask your questions.<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Come to Jesus

Postby balaam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:00 am

The bottom line in evangelism to me is that is that we are introducing people to Jesus.

Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 ESVUK
Jesus promises rest for the weary. But he goes further than this:
whoever comes to me I will never cast out. John 6:37
There are a lot of good ways of becoming a Christian on here, all of them valid. I came the usual way taught by Evangelicals, I prayed the prayer accepting Jesus as my own personal Lord and Saviour. I also ise this, as it is the way to Jesus that I understand.

But as I read the Gospels I am increasingly finding that this is not the only way, and that I have to accept people who have come to Jesus other ways. Christianity is primarily about our relationship with God, and although dogma is important it is the relationship that is the important thing.

For those who believe in the teachings but do not have a relationship I am saying come to Jesus.

We come to Jesus as we are. We do not have to get rid of our sins or anything first: We are called as we are first, and accepted as we are. Sin will need to be sorted out. I am not soft on sin, particularly my own, but Jesus calls sinners, not righteous people. We cannot become righteous on our own anyway, but when convicted by the Holy Spirit we work it out with Jesus, who has paid the penalty for sin.

Come to Jesus as you are, it does not matter what you have done. It does not matter if you do not feel worthy to come, Jesus says you are worthy and Jesus will accept you as you are.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Re: Come to Jesus

Postby Petros » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:10 am

In my case, Jesus came to me, knocked on the locked and barred door, and the knocking was driving me nuts to the point I had to let him in. Then we had a good talk.

Interestingly, though I had good friends who are deep Christians of various stripes, no one ever said an evangelistic word to me. Perhaps because they are deep enough to see who I was and trust the Spirit to find the right time and the right approach?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

I teach people at church how to answer the question, "What is the Gospel?" The answer is in First Corinthians 15:3-4, that Jesus died on the Cross for our sins, according to the Scriptures, was buried, and that God raised his Son from the dead, according to the Scriptures. It's the message we need to give people. And it's the message we need to repeat to ourselves often.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I agree Don.

Also important is to believe that God's word will not come back empty. I know of someone who was antagonistic to Christianity and became a Christian because of what I had said to him ... over four years later. We need to remember that things run to the Holy Spirit's timescale, not ours.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

"Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come."

Many hymn writers understand the Gospel's simplicity, sometimes better than the theologians.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby naturaldon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 pm

jochanaan wrote:Many hymn writers understand the Gospel's simplicity, sometimes better than the theologians.

Very true, as if they are/were more in tune with Jesus. :cross:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 am

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 am

naturaldon wrote:
jochanaan wrote:Many hymn writers understand the Gospel's simplicity, sometimes better than the theologians.

Very true, as if they are/were more in tune with Jesus. :cross:

Any musician worth his salt should be able to tune and stay in tune, so you may be right. :lol:
Maverick
Native Resident

Return to How to become a Christian