Christ follower or "CHRISTIANS" - Which one are yo

There are many views on becoming a Christian. Here you may discuss your views, and even disagree with the introductory sticky post. Make sure you offer your rationale, and talk with each other courteously and respectfully. If you are not a Christian, this is a good place to ask your questions.<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Changing meanings.

Postby Tevita » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 pm

It is funny how words and symbols take on different meanings over time and in different communities, cultures and sub cultures. The Word Gay has changed and has very different meanings to what the original meaning is. I have heard young people today use the word in a way that most Gay people would be horrified!! To them the meaning has changed again. The Swatsticker used by the Nazis had a meaning over the Centuries of "peace between people of difference". Now if I were to try and use it the original way I would Offend many people.

Christians have Taken the ultimate symbol of Suffering and Same and have converted it into a symbol of Glory, the Cross! We can reclaim the word Christian but we need to sell it to the world and to do so we need to come to a common meaning. The best meaning is a "Follower Of Christ", but what does that mean? The Tradition, The Music, the Quiet Contemplation, the Prayers, the Worship Styles, the Sermons, the Theology, the Left or Right are all things that can help a person to come to focus on God according to personality type and background but the essential thing is that the person follows the example set buy Jesus in his relationships with God, with family, with other people and with the world and nature. If we truly are focused on Jesus we will instinctively act in a way that is Christ like, this would occur without any effort as it will just happen. What is hard is to be truly focused on Jesus!!

Jesus himself put it beautifully when he spoke of coming to worship when you have resentment against your brother. He said leave the worship go and reconcile with your brother then return and worship. Deal with your issues of anger resentment, despair and any other emotion which is a barrier to your relationship with God and then worship will be fulfilled. All the Barriers to our relationship to God are Barriers to harmonious relationships with ourselves, other people and the world and nature.

For many years I was an Intellectual Christian. I came to the conclusion that God had to exist through my knowledge of physics. I then looked at all the religions in the world and Christianity made the most sense. I then followed the Concept of Christ. I followed the religion of Christianity. It wasn't until about 6 years ago that I was introduced to the person Jesus. I worshiped every Sunday I was an elder in our congregation and I even preached but it was all Intellectual. It was as Dr E Stanley Jones says "The Word Being word" not "The Word Being Flesh"!

Getting Back to the Beginning of this Thread, I could say that I am not a Christian any more, nor a follower of Christ but a person who tries to stay in tune with Jesus, but this is all somantics so if some one wishes to call me Christian I am happy, if some one wishes to say I am a follower of christ I am happy and if they wish to say I try to stay in tune with Jesus then i am still Happy!!!!!!

Tevita
Hot in the Tropics
Tevita
Native Resident

Re: Christ follower or "CHRISTIANS" - Which one are yo

Postby Kiki » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:07 am

natman wrote:In another thread, MatthewNeal presented the following set of ads produced by Community Christian Church in Naperville Illinois.

I'm a Christ Follower (Mac vs. PC Parody) Part 01
I'm a Christ Follower (Mac vs. PC Parody) Part 02
I'm a Christ Follower (Mac vs. PC Parody) Part 03
I'm a Christ Follower (Mac vs. PC Parody) Part 04

The ads, combined with events at a recent Bible study have gotten me thinking and convicted me. Am I following Christ, or am I acting like the "CHRISTIAN!!!" in the ad?

During the Bible study, the topic of "predestination" came up. We talked about what the Bible says about the topic for about an hour, but the bottom line was that regardless of how we see predestination, it should have little affect on how we live out our lives. We should still spread the Gospel to each and every ear, and hopefully heart. We should still show Christ's love and charity to everyone, including our enemies... especially our enemies.

Since coming to know Christ as my Savior some 32 years ago, I have had a constant hunger to know and understand God's Word and His plan for mankind and to dissipate the hope that, for those that truly believe that Jesus is Lord and Savior, the future is extremely bright (the Gospel), under the command in 1 Peter 3:15 to always be prepared to give an answer for the hope that lies within us. It has earned me a reputation as a "Bible Answer Man" of sorts in my circle of friends and acquaintances. Sometimes I believe that it has brought about what I have considered in hind sight to be brutal honesty, which is sometimes divisive. What I feel I need to keep in mind is that 1 Peter 3:15 also reminds us to do this with gentleness and respect.

Like the "Christ Follower" in the ad, I desire to show compassion to everyone and to live as Christ has lived, to be "other" focused rather than "self" focused. Like the "Christian", I desire to surround myself only with the Word of God, things and people that declare glory to Him. However, I want those thing on the inside, not the outside.

So which are you?

I enjoyed watching those. :) I think though that there is a little of both guys in us. Anything we are intrigued by and drawn to will take up time and space that another may view as off balance...but that is just because they don't happen to be involved in that particular thing at the moment. I don't see that as making the one guy the undesirable and the other more desirable.

I think we are to go in the way the Lord leads us. We can be "bookish" and carry all the stuff and wear all the stickers and buttons and whatever without being "holier than thou". We can also be a bit more studious (study to show yourself approved, a workman that does not need to be ashamed-2 Tim 2:15).
Kiki
Native Resident

Previous

Return to How to become a Christian