I did not need that !!! I am not a Wiccan etc.

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

I did not need that !!! I am not a Wiccan etc.

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:30 pm

I am rather much a christian fundamentalist and biblical literalist and I reject Non-christian / Paganism / Wicca and eschew the practices of those religion, and even the concepts they practice. Accordingly the serious trappings and the less serious manifestations of them I also avoid. So it should be no surprise that I eschew any related issues. And therefore I do not partake in Halloween, Day of the dead, and several other observances practices or celebrations of these sorts.

Just this evening I heard that one or more county sherifs have issued signs to be posted prominantly out front or on the front door that state that a paedophile lives at that residence and children must stay away and no candy will be provided. and such like warnings. The local news media picked up on it and provided an explanation of why this was done.

The problem is that we have posted signs that say "No Halloween" or No"No Candy" because we do not participate such observances and do not care to be bothered.

So now what is the upshot to be from all this?

As parents often accompany their children on Halloween, surely some have seen our signage and may have wondered, and now I wonder how many parents are going to jump to the conclusion that they have just discovered why We have posted such signs in the past and now start a gossip story sharing with their friends what they have just figured out about us. And nothing could be further from the truth. Given that one or more neighbors know I practice naturism, I can guess how this sort of story can run away.

I actually have to wonder if some sheriff thought this would be a good way to hassle someone who is in the religious or social minority while simply feigning innocence and claiming no intent of evil. But I would not put it past some. And of course if it is known that I am a naturist, that will just be used to impute perversity. I will let you know if I catch any flack from this situation. I wonder if I will need a lawyer. I am afraid that whatever law enforcement officer thought this scheme up was not astute enough to figure out what an undesirable situation he might precipitate. Hopefully nothing ill comes of this but the potential is there. Surely some of us have had the experience of "bad or misleading press, for simple chaste nudity" Also hopefully this sort of action by the authorities will not plague any of us.

For what it is worth some further web searching has shown that the california version of such a law has been thrown out in federal district court. I am just wondering if it has been passed here in missouri or if this was just a few sheriffs taking the law into their own hands and sending out notices that are not law here at all.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: I did not need that !!! I am not a Wiccan etc.

Postby JimShedd112 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Bare_Truth, I certainly hope the situation doesn’t cost you any undue hassles or stress. However, protecting children from true pedophiles is a worthy cause, though I’m not sure how effective it truly is since the signage is only required to be posted on one night per year.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby naturist » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:56 am

Have you considered a sign of some sort saying that as a Christian, you do not celebrate Halloween? I know around here, the people who don't want to be bothered Halloween night, just leave the porch light off to discourage visitors.
naturist
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:46 am

That is truly appalling behaviour on the part of the authorities! Being a foreigner I have no idea what legal redress is available but to condemn, & given the strength of feeling this subject arouses, condemnation is what it will be. People will conclude, 'There's no smoke without fire' & many innocent folk will have their standing among their communities tarnished because of this dreadful piece of work.

I'm guessing, Bare_Truth, that the neighbours who know of your naturism also know of your faith? I hope & pray they can see beyond the lies in this untruthful & unhelpful announcement.

I also reject the pagan, heathen celebration of All Hallows Eve. It is one of my gripes that we have been infected with this rubbish over the last 15-20 years. It was never lauded like this in my childhood. Thankfully, many churches, my own included, run events that counter this tide of finance driven dabbling with the occult.

I'll be praying into this on your behalf; let me know how it works out, please.
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:51 am

Around here it's simple. Those who are participating in trick or treat leave a porch light on; others don't. We'll leave ours off.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pm

As Christians we can celebrate Halloween, placing the correct meaning to the day, All Saints Eve, much as we celebrate Christmas and New Year' Eves. Give white candies rather than the dark. Remember GOD does give us choices.
God Bless.

Man is a spiritual being, and so has the need to develop his spirit and his conscience.
Pope John Paul II
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Can't say much about the signage, but I've never heard of that before.

I'll chime in with the others by saying that we never have our porch light on, hence no trick-or-treaters. My family's not against it, and I'm not either, but it's just not something we did growing up.

Someone we used to know would give out candy and Bible tracts to trick-or-treaters. And around here, a lot of churches do fall festivals or "trunk-or-treat" events.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby baresoul » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Hopefully Bare_Truth, it did not develop into anything so bad as it was imagined that it might. Home nudism should not be an issue causing any problems. Not being involved in traditions or practices of Halloween should not be causing problems either. Some Christians do now involve themselves with it, I have even heard from a Christian that Halloween was originally just a Christian holiday, and it was simply subject to corruption, apparently referring to pagan influences. But in fact the pagan practices connected with this night, originally Samhain, were observed a very long time before the people practicing the original traditions were exposed to the spreading Christianity. In freedom had in Christ those who do practice such things connected to modern Halloween are not to be judged. But like you I will not still involve myself with any of it, and we believers who avoid such according to conscience should not be judged by others either.
baresoul
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:06 am

Let him who is without sin...

Back in my youth I was not celebrating any thing Christian nor anything pagan. Nor wad anyone of my circle who said Trick or Treat contemplating a trick - it might s well have been penny for the guy.

Note: if it is true as the story says that every day is a holy day not suitable for outlaw raids, it is also true there is NO day that was not important in the calendar of some pagan rite.

If people celebrate Christmas with no sense of honoring Christ, all but a few can do something at or near Samhain without denying Christ.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Christianity and other religions