An Other Issue of Otherness

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

An Other Issue of Otherness

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:45 pm

In the thread at : Just How Other is Other Natman made a post that pretty well summed up the issue there.
After giving several points about a human having a clear unstanding their position vis-a-vis God, he wrote.
I know of a good many Christians who understand and believe the above. They cannot explain to you the wonder of the Trinity or the effect of the Holy Spirit. However, it is evident in their lives that they ARE filled with the Spirit and that they have a love for Christ the Son and God the Father than has no bounds.

I know of a good many Christians that hold to some "strange" understandings of Scripture, understandings that I do not and cannot hold to, yet they are also obviously filled with the Spirit and love the Lord with all of their heart.
Insofar as fellowship goes that seems a particularly cogent standard. And that was the thrust of that thread. I did not wish to hijack that thread, but I wanted to bring up a something a bit different.

Fellowship is one thing but marriage and re-marriage are another. Obviously a stricter limitation needs be applied in the case of a potential spouse. So then when it comes to religion, how "other" can the significant other be without running afoul of the strictures inherent in:
2Cor 6:14
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
and Amos 3:3
3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Given the durability of marriage and re-marriage in this day and age, plus the additional burden imposed by finding a mate attuned to naturism, this seems a worthwhile topic to investigate.

I doubt I will get much argument here that one's relationship with God must take precdence, so focusing attention there, and including the range of categories mentioned by Natman, Just how doctrinally diverse can potential mates be. For instance if one is a Sunday keeper and the other is observant of the seventh day Sabbath, is it:
-- just a few alarm bells going off
or is this:
-- an almost for sure deal breaker? (I think that is your cue Jochanaan).

Before the I Do's are said just how much and what sort of assessment do we need make on religious compatibility.

Given the D&R track record suffered by many here (not casting aspersions of fault at anyone) I would think that this sort of reflection may prove fruitful, either based on the "school of hard knocks" or insights gained by those who have been blessedly successful.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: An Other Issue of Otherness

Postby natman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:I doubt I will get much argument here that one's relationship with God must take precdence, so focusing attention there, and including the range of categories mentioned by Natman, Just how doctrinally diverse can potential mates be. For instance if one is a Sunday keeper and the other is observant of the seventh day Sabbath, is it:
-- just a few alarm bells going off
or is this:
-- an almost for sure deal breaker? (I think that is your cue Jochanaan).

Before the I Do's are said just how much and what sort of assessment do we need make on religious compatibility.

I think that as long as they hold to the core values together, then they stand a far better chance of having a lasting marriage. However, some people tend to place far too much emphasis on secondary issues. Most churches offer or require some form of pre-marrital counselling in which discussions of these matter need to be brought forward. If they are issues that would likely break down the marriage, then they should not get married, at least until they can come to agreement.

The verses mentioned above and the Biblcial standards for marriage are designed to REDUCE divorce and allow us to live in more peace with our spouses, not eliminate it alltogether, just as the Law is designed to show us what is expected of us and to encourage us to love and live in peace with one another and God, not to FORCE us to do so.

The Bible is a good source to show what is good about marriage, how to have a good marriage and what happens when we do not follow the precepts. Like all of God's "Heroes of the Faith", He show us good and bad marriages, warts and all.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Return to Christianity and other religions