A Comparitive Religions Question

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: A Comparitive Religions Question

Postby nuudman » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 am

[quote="bn2bnude"]I like what was said in the paper "The Jesus Manifesto" by Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola, prior to their book of the same name.
[quote]Jesus Christ cannot be separated from his teachings. Aristotle says to his disciples "Follow my teachings." Socrates says to his disciples, "Follow my teachings." Budda says to his disciples, "Follow my meditations." Confucius says to his disciples, "Follow my sayings." Muhammad says to his disciples, "Follow my noble pillars." Jesus says to his disciples, "Follow me." In all other religions, a follower can follow the teachings of its founder without having a relationship with the founder. Not so with Jesus Christ. The teachings of Jesus cannot be separated from Jesus himself. Jesus Christ is still alive and he embodies his teachings. It is a profound mistake, therefore to treat Christ as simply the founder of a set of moral, ethical or social teaching. The Lord Jesus and his teaching are one. The Medium and the Message are One. Christ is the incarnation of the Kingdom of God and the Sermon on the Mount.[/quote]
Although I can no longer find the paper on the web. You can hear it read [url=http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/FeedEnclosure/georgefox.edu.1952351666.01952351672.2275088126/enclosure.mp3]here[/url]. The book expands on the paper and is a great resource.[/quote]
loved the quote. i truly think this is a profound statemant that is embodied in the idea of "dont cast your pearls (of wisdom) before swine." Unbelievers will not understand anyway.

btw, there is a hilighted note on the right hand side of the reply section saying "bbcodesoff" just above the words "topic review." It must be a cookies problem with this thread. Everywhere else on the board, i get all the reply options fine, just not here. i will stop this now.
Last edited by nuudman on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuudman
Native Resident

Re: A Comparitive Religions Question

Postby trumpetbuff » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm

nuudman wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:The Lord Jesus and his teaching are one.

Exactly right. John 1:1, 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
trumpetbuff
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Christianity and other religions