Some don't care for the Easter Bunny, but others do!

Here you can discuss differences in belief between different denominations, or other religions and Christianity. This is an informational forum. Always be courteous and polite, and respect other people's views and values.<P>Permanent Residents may only reply to posts here; Native Residents may initiate & reply to posts here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Some don't care for the Easter Bunny, but others do!

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Bah_Humbug_Easter_Bunny.jpg
Bah_Humbug_Easter_Bunny.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
I think that this belongs in this forum "Christianity and Other Religions" because "Easter Bunnies" appear to have been grafted in from other, (pagan), religion. How can Christians justify this sort of syncretism [1] , particularly in view of the principle of the warning in Deuteronomy 12:30-32[2]

Emphasis
added in footnotes
[1]
From: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/syncretism?s=t
syn·cre·tism
[sing-kri-tiz-uhm, sin-]
noun
the attempted reconciliation or union of different or opposing principles, practices, or parties, as in philosophy or religion.

[2] KJV Deut 12:
30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Some don't care for the Easter Bunny, but others do!

Postby Petros » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Alas, my friend.

If the children of the uncatechized majority [not, to be sure, the families ofthe conscientious] send Christmas cards and sing Silent Night and put out cookies for Santa Claus, they are not thereby affirming faith in Christ or practicing Christian love nor honoring our father among the saints Nicholas. They will not agree that they are, we will not agree that they are.

By the same token, if the children of the saved dye and hunt Easter eggs and rejoice at baskets allegedly brought by the Easter bunny, they are not thereby worshipping any pagan deity. We will not agree that they are, and the pagans [if there were any real ones around instead of hokey wannabe pagans] would not agree that they are.

The same word, the same action, has different meaning dependent on context and intention, and an antique horse collar hung on you wall is a decoration, not a horse collar.

But this is all covered under 1 Corinthians 8, so pax tibi.

That is one happy Lab there.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Petros wrote:..... But this is all covered under 1 Corinthians 8, .....
I think this is not what is covered there.

If I were staying at a bed and breakfast and it included access to food in the fridge and i were hungry and found a painted hard boiled egg in the fridge and chose to eat it; well, that would be covered under 1 Cor 8 on the basis that regardless what another has done to it, it is still an egg. However I do not think that 1 Cor 8 could be used to justify going to all the effort to decorate eggs and tell fables, (or lies if you wish) about an Easter Bunny bringing the eggs. Those things are adapted from spring rites of pagan religions and fertility cults. I think that Deuteronomy 12 adequately condemns such syncretism for what it is.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby TheBartman47 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:35 am

easterbunnyroadkill.jpg
easterbunnyroadkill.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:30 am

Anybody want to count how many customs, practices, beliefs, seasons, old Uncle Tom Cobley and all are shared among how many different cultures, subcultures, traditions and religions?

What price the talk about the date of Christmas [a word which is rightly anathema to some really serious please let us not be Catholics]? What price the accusations that the whole resurrection deal was dreamed up to echo Osiris and Tammuz [if we are not sexist we can built Persephone in there too].

Can you find one religious symbol [no matter what religion - that some other religion has not used? Anybody in your family swear a wedding ring?

Some in the mission business welcome that stuff, figuring it makes the business of explanations easier, and that God planted the stuff.

It is no big deal to me if you eat chocolate hares or butter lambs or marzipan pigs [or ban them all as graven images] or pretzels or hot cross buns or koulouria or hamantaschen [or if you carefully abstain].

But you may want to think about - if you really strive to eliminate from your life everything which has origins [forget simply having parallels] outside barebones Christianity, you will have a lot of purification to do and a very sparse result. It makes the Pharises' scruples look positively riotous.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby TheBartman47 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 pm

1 Corinthians 8:
[4] As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
[5] For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
[6] But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
[7] Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
[8] But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
TheBartman47
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri May 10, 2013 4:49 pm

While there is a discussion to be had here, today there are perhaps more pressing problems for our consideration, such as feeding the hungry, helping our neighbors, and just possibly pointing out society's ridiculous attitudes towards the naked human body. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby ezduzit » Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm

jochanaan wrote:While there is a discussion to be had here, today there are perhaps more pressing problems for our consideration, such as feeding the hungry, helping our neighbors, and just possibly pointing out society's ridiculous attitudes towards the naked human body. :)

I agree ! lets get naked and feed the Easter Bunny to the hungry :biggrin:

Ez

Colossians 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
ezduzit

Postby Petros » Sat May 11, 2013 2:26 am

Beats splitting hares
Petros
Native Resident

Postby ezduzit » Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 am

Petros wrote:Beats splitting hares

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol:
ezduzit

Postby bn2bnude » Sat May 11, 2013 7:26 am

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm

I like Easter Bunny.... but much prefer Easter Ham. :D
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Wed May 15, 2013 3:23 pm

Natman, just be sure it's kosher ham. :mrgreen:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Wed May 15, 2013 4:57 pm

jochanaan wrote:Natman, just be sure it's kosher ham. :mrgreen:

We prefer "Catholic" ham.

We stand over the ham sprinkling holy water on it and say, "Born a ham, raised a ham, now a lamb".

From an old Baptist-Catholic joke:
Born a Baptist

John Smith was the only Protestant to move into a large Catholic neighborhood. On the first Friday of Lent, John was outside grilling a big juicy steak on his grill. Meanwhile, all of his neighbors were eating cold tuna fish for supper.

This went on each Friday of Lent. On the last Friday of Lent, the neighborhood men got together and decided that something had to be done about John, he was tempting them to eat meat each Friday of Lent, and they couldn't take it
anymore. They decided to try and convert John to Catholicism.

They went over and talked to him and were so happy that he decided to join all of his neighbors and become a Catholic. They took him to Church, and the
Priest sprinkled some water over him, and said, "You were born a Baptist, you were raised a Baptist, and now you are a Catholic." The men were so relieved--now their biggest Lenten temptation was resolved.

The next year's Lenten season rolled around. The first Friday of Lent came, and just at supper time, when the neighborhood was setting down to their tuna fish dinner, came the wafting smell of steak cooking on a grill. The neighborhood men could not believe their noses!

They called each other up and decided to meet over in John's yard to see if he had forgotten it was the first Friday of Lent? The group arrived just in time to see John standing over his grill with a small pitcher of water. He was sprinkling some water over his steak on the grill, saying, "You were born a cow, you were raised a cow, and now you are a fish."
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Wed May 15, 2013 6:30 pm

As long as it is not soy ham
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to Christianity and other religions